Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it is a good hurt though. four days of whacking prairie rats and i can honestly say if i don't hear or feel a gun go off for awhile i will be happy. three of us made the long tiring journey to dodge city kansas on tuesday and awaited the sunrise. about 7:30 the destruction began and was non stop until around noon on friday. the pups were up in numbers and a lot of collateral damage was seen. a lot of two and three kills on one shot. seemed like a lot of the bigger dogs were out this time as well. the sun was hot, the guns were hot, the snakes were out, the dogs were out and fun was had. i finally gainded membership in the 500 club as i finally found a dog dumb enough to sit there and let me walk four v-max's to him at 523 yards according to the bushnell. not to be outdone that record for the day didn't last long with the old timers i was with. at times i thought they were shooting into the next county killing dogs. i have gained a new respect for the .204 calibers and have broken to the wife that i will be getting one before long. i am more than impressed with the 22-250 caliber and it's precision and destructive capabilities. also the v-max in the .223 was impressive. a great time was had by all, a lot of dogs died. also if you are ever in dodge city may i suggest you stop by the cattleman's steak house, not to be confused with the catleman's lounge. one of the best ribeye steaks i have ever had. sorry for the length.

· Registered
3,698 Posts
I'll vouch for that ribeye or any other steak for that matter at the steakhouse that wingman speak's of.

Wish I could of gone with you guys Mike, just to much going on with the baseball and new job title. Hopefully next year or sooner ;). Did James get to go and hang out with his idols on this trip ;).

swmo

p.s. Did you manage to stay away from the Irish this trip ;). Just curious.

· Under appreciated
93,011 Posts
Man.. sounds like a GREAT time...

I am 13yds shy of the 500 club but I had a good time as well.

I am also impressed with the .204.. next rifle for me for sure.

Congrats!! :cheers:

· Registered
13,828 Posts
1Fastcam, the .22/250 has a lot more energy than the .204, but that's the whole problem, it's harder to see hits from your .22/250 than from a .204 (and the .204 shoots flatter, too). Half the fun of a PD shoot is seeing them going airborne when you hit 'em, the .22/250s don't kick much, just enough to keep you from seeing MOST of your hits.
That's why I switched, I love to watch 'em fly, but the .22/250s don't allow much of that. The .204s shoot flatter than anything else made, except the .223 WSSM with 40 grain bullets at 4600fps. THAT comes at the expense of twice as much powder burned, a quarter or less, of barrel life, and worse kick and accuracy. A good .22/250 makes my heart sing, but I still miss out on ratrobatics, so I shoot .204s and .223s, and smaller stuff. It's a trade-off, but one can live with it.

· Registered
13,828 Posts
Dang, I forgot the important part, Congratulations on the 500 yard club, Wingman, that's just good shooting!:banana::banana::banana:

· Registered
8,764 Posts
Wingman, congrats on the 500 yarder.:cheers: Sounds like you guys had a great time and the Ribeye is making me hungry.

Jack:cool:

· Registered
6,021 Posts
wingman

are you all hunting privite or public land?
you hanging out in some my pheasant hunting grounds man! we do most of our hunting southwest of dodge and some to the north. several little towns around there.
what kinda tags do you need for them in ks? just a small game?

· Under appreciated
93,011 Posts
Just the 75$ out of state hunting liscense is all you need to shoot pdogs.

· Registered
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks all, fastcam i can't add anything more than what glenn said about the 204 and 250. i just know that those 204 will reach out and touch a dog with very little hold over and are nice rifles to shoot. nothing wrong with the 250 or the 223 and they will continue accompanying me to the shoots. as for the 500 club, it was pure luck and i will be the first to admit it. just happened to get the hold over right the first time and then it was all windage and having a dog stupid enough to let me walk the bullet to him. when it comes to shots that far it was a first for me and tried it a few more times but couldn't get it done.

swmo, don't worry stayed clean away from the irish stuff while i was out there. stayed with the barley and hopps for me. even though my little run in with the irish was the topic of many jokes between the other two. didn't even bother asking james if he wanted to go, he has been working a lot and couldn't make it out for turkey hunting except for once this year during the regular season.

· Registered
6,021 Posts
Originally posted by rat
Just the 75$ out of state hunting liscense is all you need to shoot pdogs.
hummmmmm
i seem to think i have one of them in my pocket;)

· Registered
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hffnf,

we are on private ground. one of the places we hunt has a large town on it but it gets hit hard. talking to the landowner he has parties booked up to hunt it every week until the middle of june and we were the second group on it this year. the other two fields we picked up this trip out are private and you could tell they had not been hunted hard at all this year. a lot of dogs got whacked on those fields. and rat is right only need the small game license. you will be happy to know we seen a lot of pheasant while we were out there. paired up and running everywhere. looks like it is going to be a good year out there this fall.

· Under appreciated
93,011 Posts
Double that on the pheasants...

We saw bunches and bunches on the way out. I didnt go last year
but folks I was with that DID go last year said they didnt see nearly
that many last yr.

Lotsa roosters with a lone hen.. too many to count.

· Registered
6,021 Posts
i can't imagine seeing more than what we saw last year:eek: the last two years have had good hatches so hunting been awsome. there was a streak about 5-6 yrs ago we couldn't fine a single bird to shoot and last year some times we were done before lunch. the poplultion of ringnecks can change fast seeing were they can have up to three hatches a year.

sounds like i need to start checking with some of my people out there i never realized there were that many dogs i guess when we are normally out there its froze solid and some times snow to your butt hole
maybe i need to be thinking about a trip durning a differn't time of year:D

· Registered
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by huntforfunnfood[/

sounds like i need to start checking with some of my people out there i never realized there were that many dogs i guess when we are normally out there its froze solid and some times snow to your butt hole
maybe i need to be thinking about a trip durning a differn't time of year:D

i can tell you the easiest place to find p-dogs in dodge city. go to wal-mart and sit on the north side of their parking lot and watch the patchy grass by the building. they will start popping up before long. of course the people who work at wally world come out and feed the things.

the dogs are there. we seen two towns of them while we were pheasant hunting south of dodge last year. from talking to the locals i understand that permission on a lot of places north of dodge is not hard to come by at all.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.