oats

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by Copeman, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Copeman

Copeman New Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Missouri
    If i were to put oats out in my plot which is about a 1/4 to half acre would i be doin any good or do you think theyd browse it down to quickly to get a stand.

2. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    Depends...

What do you call a stand?

If your deer density is not too high for the surrounding area...then no.

But a 1/4 acre plot will be over browsed by about....hmmm...three deer.

Plant what you can and see if it grows or don't look like it is.

If it looks like it is not growing, then put up a cage and see what the deer are feasting on.

Lots of plotters get confused with what they are trying to do...

Plant what you can to get the deer's attention....if you get serious about adding to their nutrition, then you will add acreage.

1/4 to 1/2 acre plots are attraction plots, needing to be planted in cereal grains and clovers.

Feeding or nutritional plots need to be much larger.

3. Copeman

Copeman New Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Missouri
    Was wonderin where to buy milo at. Ive heard in the past that it was hard to get for cash crop plantin round here but never bought any. Give me a shout if u know anything.

4. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Active Member

May 2, 2005
    Springfield
    [rquote=1286960&tid=89965&author=Copeman]Was wonderin where to buy milo at. Ive heard in the past that it was hard to get for cash crop plantin round here but never bought any. Give me a shout if u know anything.[/rquote]

ummm, just where is "round here"? If its close to Clinton drive to the north end of 5th street to Miller Seed for a bag of WGF milo. Seems like it was around $25/50#. A little goes a long way.

5. deerhunter365

deerhunter365 Active Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Salisbury/Marceline
    [rquote=1286960&tid=89965&author=Copeman]Was wonderin where to buy milo at. Ive heard in the past that it was hard to get for cash crop plantin round here but never bought any. Give me a shout if u know anything.[/rquote]

where are you located?

6. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    [rquote=1286335&tid=89965&author=Copeman]If i were to put oats out in my plot which is about a 1/4 to half acre would i be doin any good or do you think theyd browse it down to quickly to get a stand.[/rquote]

Tough to say but that's when mixes come in handy. I've noticed deer tend to hit oats relatively early. So if you throw some winter wheat in there too, you will have a later food source. If your deer like brassicas/turnips, then that is another good thing to throw in because most of the time they don't start hitting them until after a good frost. (Of course these are all tales I've heard of deer liking brassicas and not personally experience. :wave: ) Maybe even some Austrian Winter peas would be a nice touch.

If you throw in some clover/chicory, then you will have a great perennial come next year.

I do like getting a little more fancy with my fall mixes. Summer annuals I tend to keep to one or two things, sometimes three.

7. Copeman

Copeman New Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Missouri
    Sweet im from windsor. Used to buy a lot of seed a miller seedhouse for seeding pasture for cows. Just seems that i heard it was tough to find. Guess not. Thanks for the info. What would be good to mix with milo.