Now is the time to get ready for the ticks and bugs

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by novicehunter, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Each year we discuss bug juice to prevent ticks and misquitos. None of us want to deal with lyme disease etc. and ticks are very active about turkey season. They will be thick this year because we had an mild winter and an early spring.

Well, here's what I recommend. I use a product called Permanone (permathrin .5%), which is sold by Repel at Wal-Mart, gold and blue can in sporting goods. You apply it only to your clothing ans should last a few weeks. It can also get wet or be washed. Do not apply to your skin. I always treated my clothes (socks, boots, pants, over shirt, hat and gloves,) a couple week early and keep them in a plastic tub until time to hunt. This stuff works awesome. I have been with guys that have found ticks on themselves, and I have none on me. There is also a high strengh version for livestock which can be diluted, but I have never messed with that stuff.

Good luck with the ticks and bugs, and happy hunting.

2. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    I agree on the Permanone, best stuff on the market for ticks and chiggers. Wouldn't even think on going into the woods without it. Now there are some guys on here that have their own formula for tick ridders, now's the time to post em up:cheers:

MoBowman ```--------->

3. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I picked up a couple of cans of a spray for your clothing that has permethrin in it. This stuff must be really strong stuff. The Active ingredients printed on the can reads: Permethrin........0.5% Inert ingredients........99.5% You spray it on your clothes 2 to 4 hours before you wear them. Advertised to be effective for 6 weeks. I'll be trying it out for the first time pretty soon.

4. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    permethrin can be bought by itself at feed stores, and then mixed with water to make your own juice, and it is a WHOLE lot cheaper than the spray. I still buy the spray cause its easy to use though.

Kinda like buying a cold 20 ounce from the gas station instead of a 2 liter from the grocery store. You buy the 20 ounce cause you want it now, and you want it cold now.

Parker

5. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    I've used this stuff for several years and it does a very good job. I also spray my boots, cap and face mask.

6. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    FYI to everyone that has not used it before, the reason that you don't spray it directly on your skin is because it can cause cancer.

Parker

7. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    It burns too if you get it on your skin. I was hunting on a hot hot day once and had it on all my clothes. I was sweating a lot and started to use my shirt sleeve to wipe sweat from under my eyes. Bad idea. That stuff got in the pores of my skin and felt like you lit me on fire. Works great on the ticks though and I use I every year.

8. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    I used it for the first time last year and it did pretty good. I had one of those blood suckers in the middle of my back and he got in pretty deep because I didn't realize for a couple of days. I hates them things !!

9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    The other reason you shouldnt put it on your skin is because permethrin is an insectide. It kills insects by inhibiting an important enzyme that insects have but we have it too. Fortunately, in that low of a concentration, you'd almost have to drink some of the stuff to get yourself in trouble. The burning bp experienced is prolly the petroleum distillates and solvents that make up the other 99.5% of the spray. Careful not to go over 0.5% if you make your own and good tip Parker!

Permanone is awsome stuff!

10. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Mailman you will not be sorry you are trying this stuff! The ticks are out I found one stuck to me the other day! Got to get the cloths sprayed before the weekend!

11. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I use the same stuff & agree, it works great. Another thing I have heard works good is the rino skin under clothing ( I think this is what its called).

12. stinkpickle

stinkpickle New Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Give me some permathrin for the ticks and a Thermacell for the skeeters, and I'm ready to party...

13. Roscoe Dog

Roscoe Dog Active Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Maryland Heights,Mo
    CP were do you get that soap?

14. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    I think 10 gallons of pigs blood pour on the back yard then when they show up by the truck loads, 30 gallons of nitroglycerin and a stone.

15. My Grandfather used to pour yellow sulpher in my boondockers to prevent ticks and chiggers. If you got a tick, chigger, or poision ivy, he would splash Mennen Skin Bracer on it. I am going to stick with the Pemanone.

16. psycho

psycho New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    pulaski co.
    i always try to walk behind my friends. That way the ticks and chiggers jump on them first LOL

17. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    permanone works for the tics and the mosquitoes.
    By the way...I was out today overseeding some plots and pulling a camera and found two on me.

18. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I mix a little less than an ounce of Permectrin II with a gallon of water. Then pour some into a spray bottle and treat my clothes before going out. I've never had a problem since doing this and believe you me, the first time I went out to the farm without anything, I came back looking my legs were the smorgasbord for them chiggers.

19. mmlm1358

mmlm1358 New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    I've been using the stuff from wal-mart for years and never had any problems. actually watched a tick crawl up my pants and fall off dead! I also use the 40% deet on my skin to prevent them damn chiggers.