Now I don't scare all that easily

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Hideandwatch, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Hideandwatch

Hideandwatch New Member

But while sitting in the climber yesterday morning I see a coyote coming across the hay pasture to the west at about 70 yards. I start doing a distress call using my mouth. He turns and is coming in immediately. I keep making the sound to bring him in all the way when I see something out the corner of my eye. I look and a big ole owl is at eye level and about 15' from my face making a b-line towards my face. I threw my release hand up and it changed direction and landed on a limb of another tree. That scared the pooh out of me. I got on the coyote and just as I was to release it moved and I missed the shot. Anyone else have this experience with owls?
    :cheers::cheers:

2. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Must be a brave or very hungry owl to attack a 180 pound rabbit sitting in a tree?

Note to self.....throw in a change of underwear in my back pack just in case.....:shrug:

3. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    Not personally but I have a cousin who has one heck of a scar, about 4" or so all the way down the side of his face from an owl while sitting in his treestand.

4. txcobowhunter

txcobowhunter Deer Gear Collecter

Oct 5, 2008
    Texas County
    Musta been a great distress call is all I got to say!!! That's wild.

5. DEAD (I)

DEAD (I) New Member

Oct 13, 2009
    YES ... IWAS YOTE HUNTING COUPLE YEARS AAGO AND THAT WAS THE ONLY THING I COULD CALL IN ITS PRETTY SCARY BECAUSE THE COME FROM ALL DIRECTIONS

6. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    droptine almost had a hawk attack his shotgun microphone cover on his video camera. Durn thing looks just like a rodent. Matt moved at the last minute and the hawk changed its mind.

7. MTD

MTD Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Eureka
    Yes I have and also had it happen to me with a hawk!! Both times I was sitting in the stand and had them land on limbs real close to me. We would have a stare down and then they would throw open their wings an take off for me, I did as you did, I threw my arms up and ducked! They would veer off at the last second!! My only guess was that the o ly thing that wasn't in camo was the a small area of my face that my face mask didn't cover. Must have thought it was a small appetizer!!

8. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

new a girl who had red hair, while bow hunting she had a pony tail sticking out from behind her hat .. a owl attacked her..musta thought it was a squirrel

9. letemgrow

letemgrow Active Member

10. LeeinMo

LeeinMo Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Kearney
    Me and a buddy were hunting up in Pattonsville one year during rifle season. I could see my buddy up in a tree. All of a sudden right as it was getting dark I hear a Owl hoot. I turn to see this thing on a limb on the tree across from me. I do not know if it was the blaze orange hat or what? But this thing comes out off the tree right for my noggin. I freak out looking at the talons coming right past me. I got out of the tree as quick as I could. The Owl then heads north. Just so happens it heads right for Shane. Same thing happens to him. I can see him swinging his arms around his face hollering at this Owl. Finally he jumps out of the tree and is running across the field.:rof2::rof2: I am laying on the ground in tears laughing. He gets to me out of breath and says dude I was nearly killed by a crazed Owl. I am laughing so hard I could not even explain to him that it happened to me first. I forgot all about that night until I read this...... What a night.

11. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    I've had a hawk try to land on my head. I hit it with my bow. :eek: Talk about something I don't want sinking into my head!

I was calling owls in my treestand last week, and I had one land within arm's reach of me in the tree right infront of me. It was AWESOME! He was facing the other way, and I had my phone in my hand, so I attempted a picture, but he swooped away. I didn't hear one wing beat out of him. I just couldn't believe how silent his flight was! :eek:

Parker

12. High Country

High Country New Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I had a hawk flash about 3 ft in front of my face 20 ft up in a treestand, couldnt figure out why he almost hit me. Then realized I had placed a turkey feather in my hat and when I moved he saw it and attacked. Needless to say that feather hit the forest floor shortly after that.

13. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Somewhere on here is an owl story of mine but not scary.

14. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    Had a hawk land in a limb at my head. He did not see me nor I him until the sound of his wings were right in my face. I don't know who screamed loudest but he took off like a bullet!

15. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    While I was bowhunting a big snow owl flew up into the tree my stand was in and I hooted at it for about 10 mins. everytime I did it the owl would look around for me but apparently couldn't see me in my camo then it got tired of the game and flew away.

16. Cook

Cook Active Member

May 28, 2003
    Got a good owl story,but it was indoors and I type too slow.

17. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

I had a similar incident with a Red Tail Hawk, and I thought my face was going to get torn up. It turned though, and didn't touch me. :scared:

18. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Sweet story bet that owl was as suprised as you were.

19. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Seen woodchuck call one into his lap with an Owl Hooter one turkey season, I begged him and bribed him to blow that call just one more time, but the sissy wouldn't do it :D