Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now entered the world of bow hunting. My bow has been set up and I actually shot it for the first time tonight. I did pretty well if I do say so myself. I did end up with a nice briuse/abrasion from the string, but I have learned quickly to not lock my arm straight to prevent that.

I have to give special thanks to Town Hall Archery in Belleville, IL for setting up my bow and getting me started. These guys were great. I aquired my bow from a less than conventional means, (not stolen!) and for a fee they set up my bow and helped me get it dialed in. Well worth the time, money, and short drive from St. Louis. I would recommend them to anyone for their bow need.

Now, I need to practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Sounds good to me!
Practice a lot and good luck this season!
:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
12,620 Posts
:cheers::cheers::cheers: Welcome to the club. Only takes once or twice and you learn fast not to lock that elbow:banghead:

Practice just like you said and remember, on the 15th of Sept to kiss the wife and tell her you'll see her in Jan:D

·
Your Local Know It All
7,020 Posts
I want to also say Practice Practice Practice! The first year I bowhunted I didn't have any business being out there. Made a bad spine shot on a doe at 25 yards and had to watch here suffer. Killed me for sure. Make sure to shoot everyday at different yardages, learn the feel of you bow, make sure it's tuned, then PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

Welcome to the bowhunting family! You will never regret it.

BTH

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
welcome aboard! Bowhunting is definately a greater challenge with a greater reward when successful....in my opinion!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Originally posted by Hoytshooter
welcome aboard! Bowhunting is definately a greater challenge with a greater reward when successful....in my opinion!
This is the reason I took up bow hunting. The feeling you get when you harvest a nice deer with bow is unbelieveable. It is always challenging and sometimes frustrating, but stick with it!!! :cheers:

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,760 Posts
Since no one else has mentioned it, make sure you spend plenty of time practicing. :bangin::rotfl:

Hey great to hear it. Bowhunting ruined gun hunting for me. Don't even enjoy it anymore. The first year I bowhunted was in 96. Spent every waking hour either thinking about shooting a bow or actually shooting. If at all possible, try to get to a couple of 3D shoots this summer. Don't worry about what stake you shoot from, just shoot where you feel comfortable & don't turn in a score card. You'll be amazed at what that will do for your confidence.

Congrats.

·
Under appreciated
92,881 Posts
3-dimensional animal targets.. various distances and various real-type shot scenarios..

Its a hoot!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,454 Posts
Novicehunter, if you want to, join up at St. Louis Bowhunters and get in one of their bowhunting leagues. They have one on Wednesday and one on Thursday night. They also have open shooting times too.

They also have a 3D shoot coming up August 20 at Busch Wildlife.

Oh and welcome to the crazy world of bowhunting.

·
Registered
647 Posts
At age 39 I continue to be a novice bowhunter but I started when I was 13 with a bear 45# recurve. Yesterday I handed down my old Brown Bear bow to one of my sons who just likes to shoot but not hunt. My youngest two sons like to shoot their bows and hunt. For some reason, after all of this bow excitement in my family, I have become an avid bowhunter (still novice) reborn. I use a Hunter Mag Parker now.

By avid, I mean it all came back to me like when I was a kid walking across the road from my folks place to go bowhunting. I would go bowhunting today if the season was open in Missouri. The point I'm trying to make is you might put your bow down for a while but you will eventually pick it up again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.