Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of sucess stories out here and I congratulate all of you! But, there a few of us, me included, that can't seem to get that ol' tom to come out for some fun.

Both last Saturday and Sunday, I heard very few, if any gobbles. The farmer whose place we hunt, also hasn't been hearing any as in years past. I did not see one tom the whole weekend. Even after hunting there was nothing out there.

The best part of the hunt was Satuday morning when a hen came walking up to my left and walked out into the field not more than 5 yards in front of me stripping off seeds on the grass shoots. She kept doing this for about a minute and was slowly walking to my right still in front of me. As she walked farther away, she stopped and then ran off with her wings spread out. A young buck, with antlers just starting to grow, came walking out of the woods. Now I know why she ran off. The young buck just meandered around the field and slowly walked away from me.

Other than that, it was quite miserable.:banghead:

Even driving around the area I didn't see or hear anything. I think Howard county, or at least the area I was in, is void of any male turkeys.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Hey we're in the same boat Venatic. Just got to have persistence and patience I guess.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, but when all you hear is one maybe two gobbles for the whole day, something ain't right.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Heck, pack your tent and come up here. You'll HEAR plenty of gobblers, just can't talk them into walking. Seems they come off the roost, gobble their heads of in the same spot for a few hours, then nothing.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't tempt me like that! I think that the wife may have other plans for me though. Two weekends in a row and she thinks I've been gone forever.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
It's an offer though. Come on up, spend the weekend and get some good listening in. LOL seems that's all I've done this season is listen.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The wife says, "If I get my chores done", I can go.

Can I bring my tent on wheels?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm with you, Venatic and Hayzer--pretty disappointing season. I could not get away to hunt until last weekend when I headed up to Lewis County with my buddy. We heard a few gobblers on Saturday, but nothing would come in to us. I got lucky (well maybe there was a bit of skill to it) at about 10 o'clock on Sunday morning and called in 3 gobblers and a hen to my buddy. However, much to our chagrine, he missed the lead one at 25 yards. It was kind of neat, though, because I called them in by using my mouth call and box call simultaneously, simulating two hens fighting. I guess they were just curious; the gobblers did not gobble, but the hen was really going back and forth with me.

Anyway, to top off my discouraging weekend, I discovered Saturday afternoon that my trailcam setup was stolen.

Despite all that negativity, being the masochist that I am, if I can get away, I may just go back this weekend for some more punishment!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I feel your pain guys. It's been a bad year for me as well. I can not remember the last time I hunted Sullivan county and didn't get a bird. I hunted this past weekend up there and to my surprise I only seen 3 birds total. One was a Tom and the other 2 were hens. The tom made a right turn about 60 yards from me and went into a ditch. He popped back out at 120 yards or so. That was at 11:40 Saturday. The only gobbles I heard were way off the property. Very wierd. The birds only gobbled a few times and were done making noise at 6:15 for the most part.
I can not see driving back up there this next weekend. Guess I will try in town again. It would be just terrible if I didn't get a bird this year. It is not looking to good at all.

·
10,942 Posts
sorry to hear all the sad stories.....but thats why they call it huntin. its not posed to be easy. i skunked out last weekend but i'll be out this weekend to try for number two.... if everyone that bought tags got two birds there wouldnt be any left........think about it.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I know what you mean Hannibal. That's hunting. But in the past I have at least seen birds and herd them when they were close. But this year has been really weird. Yep! That's why it's hunting and not killing. Wish I could go back up north and hunt the 200 acres again. I just can't see spending a $120 on gas again. My in town place is only 22 acres. So I pretty much just hope and wait for something to go through. No chasing them birds there.

·
10,942 Posts
some mornings they gobble some mornings they dont. Big AL i didnt go to southern mo. this year cus of the stinkin gas prices, 100 or 150 bucks is toooo much for gas. when ya hunt hard and few gobbles and no responces sure make ya appreciate when they do fly down in your lap. i know wouldnt want it that way all the time. if i only get one this year i'll still be very happy. dont give up booch

·
Registered
42,104 Posts
Man, after reading all this I had to check and see if i wrote it all.. it all sounds like my season up to now.. Haven't been able to hunt NEAR as much as id like to with the crappy weather and work schedule.. And when i have been out, they just havent responded well.. They will, some mornings, gobble on the roost and then shut up.. (in other words gobble til their hens come find em) just too many stinking hens down here this year.. have seen a ton of birds (some many hundred yards away), heard a ton, but when im hunting 2500 acres that joins up to the ntl forrest i better..

Just keep in mind the seasons not over yet, it can change on a dime. I know for one that with my limited time out there, i havent been able to set and call periodically waiting for the toms to leave the hens.. more or less had to get on em while gobbling which hasnt worked to well.

Wont be able to go again until this weekend.. gonna hunt em hard and heavy this weekend.. been a few years since the last season i was emtpy bagged.. but hey, its bound to happen sometime...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.