Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I devoted last summer to killing off as much of the fescue in my food plot as possible, spraying, discing, spraying again...so on...

Finally, after liming (early in the summer), I planted a variety of seed mixes including some Backwoods Blend Fall Food Plot over Labor Day weekend...this plot is probably just over half an acre in size...the work payed off and we took three deer off the plot this fall, our most ever...some thoughts tho...

--I probably over seeded...

--I used 12-12-12 fertilizer, next year I'll splurge and go to a coop and get the stuff minus the nitrogen...

--I probably planted too late, the food plot grew, but we had more rain than sun this fall and the planting just didn't take off like another food plot did, we planted that one 2 weeks earlier...

--the Backwoods Blend was just hammered to the ground...

--any brassicus that was in the mixes never had a chance to grow, the deer just over browsed these...nothin but stubs left...

I plan on planting a spring/summer plot and then a fall plot heavy with rape and brassicus...what do you recommend for a spring plot? and could you all post up those addys for seed companies again?

thanks

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
For spring plots, I typically plant annuals like beans or milo. Normally you need a few acres for beans. I plant perennials (clover/chicory) in the fall and they typically do some good feeding/attracting most of the year.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I frost seeded some Ladino clover in several of my fall/ winter plots last year. It did so well I mowed and used them for fall clover plots this year. Deer absolutely hammered it. This Spring I am going to start crop rotation on all my plots (if I decide to do annuals again).

·
Registered
12,669 Posts
I'm going to frost seed my plots with ladino/red clover this winter and if they do well enough, I will just mow them and use them for next fall as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
What month did you frost seed them?

[rquote=1487331&tid=103903&author=Mecheng]I frost seeded some Ladino clover in several of my fall/ winter plots last year. It did so well I mowed and used them for fall clover plots this year. Deer absolutely hammered it. This Spring I am going to start crop rotation on all my plots (if I decide to do annuals again). [/rquote]

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
[rquote=1489612&tid=103903&author=o2hunt]What month did you frost seed them?

[rquote=1487331&tid=103903&author=Mecheng]I frost seeded some Ladino clover in several of my fall/ winter plots last year. It did so well I mowed and used them for fall clover plots this year. Deer absolutely hammered it. This Spring I am going to start crop rotation on all my plots (if I decide to do annuals again). [/rquote][/rquote]

February or march works good for me.

:cheers::cheers:

·
5,092 Posts
my brassicas didn't do worth a hoot either. they came up but they never really took off and the deer started browsing them immediately. time to make the food plot bigger and mix things up a bit. you clover guys. how long into the season has your clover lasted before it's wiped out?

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Not sure of your herd density compared to mine, but I've got roughly an acre of clover out and its never been wiped out. Granted it gets browsed back but unless you get into an extended hot dry spell or you've just got way too many deer, it should do well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts