Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bigen. This time of year they move close to brush where the crappie are headed. Caught him on a Bobby Garlands baby shad in 19ft of water. 4lb line. Made some walleye steaks. Ill get a picture of the crappie next time.
Water Sky Active shorts Vertebrate Bermuda shorts

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice! For whatever reason I’ve never caught a big walleye. 22-23 inches have been my biggest from that lake.
I mostly catch big ones in March on the jerkbait bite. Ive caught two big ones in the last week out of brushpiles. That is pretty rare for me.

Reactions: 421sd

·
14,524 Posts
Nice one, In Kansas in June usually catch them in 3-5 foot of water on the flats or near drop offs
We have caught them jigging for crappie this time of year in the cattails

·
Registered
9,333 Posts
Bigen. This time of year they move close to brush where the crappie are headed. Caught him on a Bobby Garlands baby shad in 19ft of water. 4lb line. Made some walleye steaks. Ill get a picture of the crappie next time. View attachment 231411
Never had the pleasure of eating walleye.I measure all fish against crappie so where does it rank up next to crappie as far as being a good eat?

·
14,524 Posts
Never had the pleasure of eating walleye.I measure all fish against crappie so where does it rank up next to crappie as far as being a good eat?
about 3 points higher

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Super white and flaky meat. I like it better than crappie. Obviously thicker and doesn't fry up as crisp

·
Part-time malcontent
8,004 Posts
Hmmm I’ll have to try it someday then,I like a nice white flaky fish dipped in some tarter sauce
You’re down south right? Probably not much walleye available down there I would think.

·
Part-time malcontent
8,004 Posts
While crappie is really good, the walleye shore lunches in Canada were amazing, made crappie seem like a burnt shoe
Shore lunches are fun!

Northen Pike are also excellent. One of my favorites, wish we had them around here.

Wood Baseball cap Hat Window Cap

·
Registered
515 Posts
Walleye, Crappie, Blue Cat are my top 3 fresh water fish in that order. 99% of the time I'm crappie fishing, need to learn how to catch walleye down here. All my catching of walleye has always been in Minnesota with a guide.

·
Registered
13,062 Posts
Heck yeah! That is a dandy. We caught several walleye this past winter on the Osage along with some white bass. Had several meals of walleye, sucker and white bass together. While walleye is delicious, I don't see where it's much if any better than a panfish, flathead, sucker, or white/hybrid bass when fried. The "steakier" fillets are better if you want to grill or bake the fish though.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sid you see them on sonar prior to catching them?
Crappie were on top of the brush pile. There was a bigger fish on the edge of the pile i thought it was a bass. I guess it was this one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts