Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blevely came up this morning & spent the day with Jenny & I hunting. Durn wind screwed up all the sets I had in mind for us, so we had to punt. We did get a stand hung, but the more we watched the wind, the more we realized it wasn't going to work.:mad2: Had a brushpile picked out for Blev to hide in where all the deer came out the other night, & the wind was exactly wrong for that set as well.

So, we headed across the creek. Luckily, it was running ankle deep in the crossing. Got Blev setup in the "butt clenchin stand".:rof2: aka "piece of cake stand", then found Jenny a spot on the other end of the field to run a climber up & I was just going to wing it. Planned to hunt all the way at the north end, but time was running thin, so I just setup in a ladder stand not far from Blev. Absolutely no cover on this stand & I don't like hunting with no cover.

Along toward last light, I see some deer coming through the woods. Still had plenty of snow, so I can easily see them. Wind is straight out of the south & these deer are north & a little east of me. We decided before we went out, everyone had the green light for a doe or wallhanger since Blev needed the meat. Back to the story, I've got bow in hand & waiting for them to pass through the 26 yd window. There were 6 total in the group. Unfortunately, when they were at 50 yds, the wind decided to give a little gust from the west, as well as the south & I was busted. :mad2: I was really wanting to show LB that I knew how to shoot a doe too.:rof2:

Dark thirty shows up & we all gather back together to compare notes & walk out. Unfortunately, I'm the only one that had any action. It was still a nice night to set the stand. We were headed back to the truck & just as we got to the creek crossing, we heard a lot more noise there than we heard 2 hours before. That sucker went from ankle deep, to about 8' deep in short order. For those of you that haven't been to my place before, it's about 5 miles around if you come in from the north end. At this point, the only choice we've got is to go out the north end.:eek::eek: Well, luckily, I had my 4 wheeler still in the crp on the north end & I was able to get us all to the road a mile north of my property line, then I drove around & got the truck.

Blev let me know he was lazy by nature & didn't appreciate all that additional walking.:rof2::rof2:

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
Well at least you all got to have a good time and spend the evening on the stand. Hopefully things turn out better before the weekend is over.

G

·
It is good for him he NEEDS the exercise :scared::rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2:

Glad you guys had a good day in the stand

:cheers:

·
17,685 Posts
Randy at least you seen some deer man:2thumbsup::2thumbsup:

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Well I am guessing that Blev was not warned or the possability of the walk before the hunt! Sounds like the snow is melting off! Seeing deer is a good thing! To bad noone was able to connect! Maybe next time!

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,454 Posts
:rof2: :eek: I would've FREAKED! Good thing the 4wheeler was there!

Parker

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Parker
:rof2: :eek: I would've FREAKED! Good thing the 4wheeler was there!

Parker
You're the only one that's posted & realized just how far from anywhere we were when we realized we couldn't get back across the creek. Course you've been to the middle of nowhere, called pinwheels farm. :rof2: Lucky for ole Blev, the battery was too dead on the tractor to get it started Christmas day. It's still setting up by the road (1 mile north of my place) & my plan was Jenny was going to drop me off, I get the tractor going & move it back to the crp & then take the 4 wheeler back to the shed (across the creek). Wasn't happy the tractor wouldn't start that day, but last night, we were all glad I couldn't get it going.:rof2::rof2:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Well I know how fast that creek can come up, I had a climber on the edge of that creek in early Nov. and it came a pretty good shower, it wasnt long and the creek was out of its banks and all up under me :eek: kinda sceery!!! I stuck it out(not to much of a choice) couple hours later it was back down.
How was the road coming out of Leland's?

·
PURE KILLER
37,999 Posts
still ain't using your rain gauge eh:thinking:

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by curt
Well I know how fast that creek can come up, I had a climber on the edge of that creek in early Nov. and it came a pretty good shower, it wasnt long and the creek was out of its banks and all up under me :eek: kinda sceery!!! I stuck it out(not to much of a choice) couple hours later it was back down.
How was the road coming out of Leland's?
That don't even sound like a fun evening to me. Mud road was greasy on top, but I'm sure by today, the frost is gone & it's total mud.

Originally posted by coyotehunter
still ain't using your rain gauge eh:thinking:
Rain wasn't the problem. It was that durn melting & runoff. All I can figure is there was an ice dam that broke all at once.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
That don't even sound like a fun evening to me. Mud road was greasy on top, but I'm sure by today, the frost is gone & it's total mud.
...........................................................................................
It actually turned out to be a pretty good hunt by 9:30 am the creek was back in its banks and the deer were moving,I saw 5 different bucks that mornin' biggest was in the 130's and he bedded down about 50 yards from me for about an hour. I was ready to get down so I figured I would play with him, I broke out the grunter and he would not respond to it, just layed there ears perked up, so I blew the snort wheeze, and he about came out of his skin getting out of there!!:hysterical:

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
still sounds like you had a great time. i sure would of loved to been out, but i am stuck in the house. had a knee replacement. had to have it done before end of the year insurance reasons.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Originally posted by pinwheel
I was really wanting to show LB that I knew how to shoot a doe too.:rof2:

:
:mad2::mad2::mad2: darn wind!!!!! man, that wooda made me day too!! well maybe you will get the urge to whack a doemeister again :superman::superman:

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Lungbuster44
Originally posted by pinwheel
I was really wanting to show LB that I knew how to shoot a doe too.:rof2:

:
:mad2::mad2::mad2: darn wind!!!!! man, that wooda made me day too!! well maybe you will get the urge to whack a doemeister again :superman::superman:
The only reason I woulda wacked her was for Blev. Getting ready to head out now & I will not wack anything other than a wall hanger tonight. Sorry dude, I was really tryin just so you'd be proud of me.:hysterical::hysterical:

·
White Board Man
14,380 Posts
Thanks again Pinwheel, always have a good time up there with ya's.

Yep saw that creek up and said to myself, oh crap this can't be good, hope ol' jenny or Pinwheel is going to be able to carry me:D

Ahhh I don't mind not seeing much at all, I was just so dang excited to be invited to hunt a place like that with some good folks and that makes up for most anything.

My favorite part of the whole trip was:

" I don't feel like having this discussion with you"

I'm pretty sure that guy was about to cry.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

·
King of Callaway
42,638 Posts
:hysterical:

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,889 Posts
My guess is, if the 4-wheeler hadn't been there... Blev would a just sat down and waited for the creek to subside.....:thinking:

Nothin like a good 5 mile walk in the dark.....:D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts