Not quite the way you draw it up....buck down and recovered.

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by archer66, Nov 11, 2010.

1. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Well.....I'll give ya the condensed version....

Grunted in this buck in the evening at about 4 pm. Took a 17 yard standing broadside shot. The arrow flight looked funny...arrow porpoised wierd then hit the buck really low. I thought it might have just hit brisket but the buck ran off down the ridge and just stood there for 15 minutes before wandering off over the hill. I got down and found my arrow...blood and fat end to end with one vane missing. I decided since the hit was bad and the buck didn't go down that I should back out. Next morning found me under my stand getting my bearings and plotting out his path and so on and I found the missing vane from my arrow laying UNDER MY STAND on the ground...(I'm finished with whisker biscuit...same thing also happened this summer while practicing in the yard). Ok so maybe that accounts for the bad shot....heck I knew I couldn't make a bad shot...:rof2:.

So anyway...again condensing...... I tracked him a crooked mile or so and finally the yotes howing and crows led me to his carcass. Shot was just above the breastbone judging by the notch out of one of the ribs on the entry side.

I rough measured him at 136 inches gross.....he's my best bow kill to date...too bad I didn't get any food out of the deal.

I like the split G2 and the decent mass all the way out to the end and he has a hole in one main beam with a stick in it...apparently an injury while in velvet. He is 15.5 inches wide, one main beam is 19 the other is 21. Tine's are kinda short....mass measurements average 4.25 inches.

[file]147601[/file] [file]147603[/file] [file]147605[/file]

2. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

:cheers::claphands::cheers:

Good job on the recovery, I guess it wasn't a total waste.

3. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    :eek:::claphands::cheers:

4. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    Glad you found him. Nice deer!:eek::

5. Dalton

Dalton Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Warren County
    Nice:cheers: Way to stick with it!

6. Bear_25

Bear_25 New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Osage County
    Glad you found him. Very impressive deer that would make any man happy!:cheers:

7. Refuze2falo

Refuze2falo Plain White Cracker

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
    Chris that's a dandy buck:cheers:

8. conradtactical

conradtactical New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Jefferson County, MO
    [rquote=1891752&tid=131769&author=archer66] I decided since the hit was bad and the buck didn't go down that I should back out.. [/rquote]

I'm glad you found your deer... but What?! You didn't even trail the deer? You wasted a whole lotta meat on that decision.

9. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think you did the right thing. Sorry all you could recover is the rack.

10. bckhntr

bckhntr Member

Sep 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Sweet job!!

How long was he on the ground? Just overnight?

11. mx1alex

mx1alex #HFBO

Mar 26, 2008
    #HFBO
    Heckuva buck! And that stick being in the hole is pretty cool!:cheers::eek:::eek::

12. Reflex

Reflex Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sullivan, MO
  13. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    [rquote=1891777&tid=131769&author=conradtactical][rquote=1891752&tid=131769&author=archer66] I decided since the hit was bad and the buck didn't go down that I should back out.. [/rquote]

What?! You didn't even trail the deer? You wasted a whole lotta meat on that decision.[/rquote]

His chances of recovering that deer were very low last night, chances are high he would have pushed and never recovered any part of him. Unfortunate and unforseen circumstance. Glad you found him though! Bittersweet.

14. shootmodoe

shootmodoe New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Mo-Kan line
    I've made the mistake of pushing them too far and not recovering them. See it on TV all the time where they know they had a bad hit and backed out to track later. Good call on that and nice buck! :eek::

15. macon county boy

macon county boy New Member

May 6, 2009
    nice deer id get him mounted

16. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    [rquote=1891811&tid=131769&author=macon county boy]nice deer id get him mounted[/rquote]
    X2000 no doubter.

17. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Nice buck Chris... you did the right thing considering that hit.

18. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    [rquote=1891777&tid=131769&author=conradtactical][rquote=1891752&tid=131769&author=archer66] I decided since the hit was bad and the buck didn't go down that I should back out.. [/rquote]

I'm glad you found your deer... but What?! You didn't even trail the deer? You wasted a whole lotta meat on that decision.[/rquote]

lol....Ya gotta watch jumping to conclusions. I guess that's what I get for giving ya the condensed version. Trust me I tracked him.....just didn't find him without the help of the yotes that ate him.