Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My more than wonderful wife has ok'd what is basically amounting to a change in investments. I've wanted a vierling for a lot of years and this one is in almost the perfect two rifle cartridges. Only thing I 'might' change would be the large rifle cartridge to a 9.3 X 74R. Having said that, there's no fly's on the 8 X 57R and it will serve admirably for anything on the North American continent except for the big bears....and given the right handloads it is adequate for them, not ideal but adequate. 'Course I'll never hunt them anyway so the point is moot. Now I have to decide if I really want to pull the trigger and add this to our portfolio and my toy box. It won't be a safe queen, doesn't require annual taxes, license or registration, doesn't eat anything other than what on chooses to feed it and it's both gorgeous and offers total utility for my hunting purposes. I've owned other Hubertus, Dural framed firearms by Meffert and their quality is unsurpassed, anywhere on the planet.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...16-x-16-8x57jr-22-hornet.cfm?gun_id=101134319

· 2 Corinthians 5:10
1,818 Posts
Purdy gun, but eeks, it is an investment!

Reactions: sharps4590

· Registered
13,838 Posts
It would be awfullly hard to hide that kind of $$$ in a household budget, so it's good that she gave you permission and approval. That's almost as much as my truck cost me three years ago! Yikes!
Mighty fine looking rig, though, and I like a Hornet heaps. Hornets are a lot of fun.

Reactions: sharps4590

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha...decision was made for me.

it was shipped yesterday to a customer in new mexico

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 1:55 PM <[email protected]> wrote:

Regarding your listing on GunsInternational.com

Name: Vic

Question/Message:
Mr. Barnett, could you tell me if the proof marks on the barrel flats have the number 16 inside a circle? I see the vierling is chambered for 2 3/4 shells and its date is right on the edge of when they were still chambering for both. Also, is the groove diameter of the 8 X 57R .318 or .323? One would assume .323 but I have some late date 8 mm's that are still .318. The vierling is truly a lovely and remarkable piece. I've had other Meffert's with the Dural frame, no fly's on them! Thank you for your consideration. Vic

GI#: 101134319
SKU#: SBFG18782
Title: HUBERTUS BEST PRE WAR VIERLING 16 X 16 8X57JR 22 HORNET
Description: MADE 1937

Reactions: Maddog3355

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No Bill, it was shipped yesterday to New Mexico according to Mr. Barnett. You snooze you lose and I did both. There's some other nice doubles on the site but none quite captured my attention like the vierling. Then there's still this Kerner that was proofed in February of 1924 and it's exquisite.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...rner-sohn-price-lowered-.cfm?gun_id=101048053

If Momma ok'd almost 20K I'm confident she would do the same with this one. I'm just really having a hard time springing that much for a rifle even though the unbudgeted funds are there and it would be an investment. I've never spent that kind of money on a firearm. 3K-6K never bothered me much but....investment grade is a new level for me and it's a bit intimidating. Can't possibly make any less than what banks are offering on their various instruments and I'm heavy enough in the market....and I hate annuities. There's a gun show here this weekend and an auction coming up in a few weeks that is supposed to have some investment grad firearms. Maybe something will turn up at one of them. Who knows?

· Registered
6,992 Posts
Dang Vic... you give whole new meaning to the phrase 'the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys"!

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
glenn, that vierling was almost twice what I've ever paid for a pick up. But I never bought a pick up as a collector item or investment.

'bandit, bought one a few decades ago and came to a point where we needed the money we had in it. It was going to cost us dearly to surrender the annuity. We made money on it but we didn't like not having access to our money without paying a hefty penalty. If I were younger I might have a different opinion but after that experience I doubt it. Could be they've changed in the last few years but the last report I had from our financial guy and gal, they had not. They do usually pay pretty good interest from what I know.

Mike, either of those would be a one shot deal, I'm certain....and I still don't know what I'm going to do. I'd still like to have one really nice firearm in my toy box but now that it's attainable, it doesn't seem quite as appealing.

Reactions: Dafish

· Don't mind me
10,379 Posts
'bandit, bought one a few decades ago and came to a point where we needed the money we had in it. It was going to cost us dearly to surrender the annuity. We made money on it but we didn't like not having access to our money without paying a hefty penalty. If I were younger I might have a different opinion but after that experience I doubt it. Could be they've changed in the last few years but the last report I had from our financial guy and gal, they had not. They do usually pay pretty good interest from what I know.
Gotcha, I was just curious. Seems to be an either love or hate them kind of deal. Oftentimes uneducated in their opinion either direction.
There are a lot of different types of them, some of which I love, others I hate.
You're correct, there used to be a lot of annuities you couldn't cash out for 10-15 years, nowadays they are usually 3-7 years before you can access without penalty. 10% withdraws/year are usually free of fees, but it's not something to put all your money in because they aren't as liquid as a normal investment account. It's a satellite strategy IMHO to complement the rest.

· Máistir an pointe hocht.
75,066 Posts
The market for these high end guns just amazes me. I’d be scared to death buying a $20k gun to then find out it is only worth half that.

I will just stick to my meager collection of shooter grade guns....

Reactions: DPx2

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is an amazing market Pat...and kinda scary when taking the first dip in that pool. No different than any other investment, really. A fella needs to do his research and feel comfortable and I feel knowledgeable enough about German firearms neither of those give me pause....but the amount does. There's no way either could be produced today for the asking prices. Even if you're familiar and comfortable, sometimes stuff happens. Firearms, collector cars, collector bamboo fly rods, same risk/reward as anything else. The greater the risk, the higher the possible reward.

'bandit, that annuity years ago was an 8 year term. The interest started fairly high for the time, 8.5% if I remember correctly, then decreased over the life of the annuity and it was still pretty decent at the end. We didn't surrender the annuity and as I said, we did make money on it. Today I don't believe I want to tie up my money for even 3 years, given my wife's and my health history. We look good now but all who are familiar with cancer know how quick that can turn, especially the kind I had and, I've been warned to watch it like a hawk. If I was 40 I might have a different view. I do agree, annuities do appear to foster a love/hate relationship and also they shouldn't be a person's main investment. They're pretty decent actually, if a fella just wants to park some money for a few years, like the 3 you mentioned...but I'll never get used to the fact I can't get it if I want or need it, when I might want or need it. Kinda like that J.G. Wentworth commercial, "it's my money and I want it now".

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.