Not my biggest, but you can't tell by the grin on my face!

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by luckystrike63, Nov 7, 2010.

1. luckystrike63

luckystrike63 New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Hey all, this is my first post so I thought I would try and make it a good one. I woke up this morning an hour early because of daylight savings, but I forgot to set the clock on my phone because it did not update automatically. I ended up getting into the blind at what I thought was 5:30am, but it was really 4:30. Once i figured it out, I curled up and took a nap until 6:00am. I love ground blinds! I was set up on a ridge overlooking a creek crossing and bordering a bedding area. The bucks were skirting the edge of the ridge on a faint, faint, raccoon sized trail checking does and generally staying sneaky. This guy walked out at 6:35 and I let the air out of him at 10 steps. If you have never been eye level with a big deer under 15 yards, it is something that I cannot explain to you. It is a completely different experience than 20 feet up. Either way, get out there and get after em.

[file]146603[/file]

2. MObuckman

MObuckman Active Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Fenton
    Congrats and great first post!

3. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    He is a really good buck, congrats!

4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Great buck!! Congrats and welcome to the forum. :claphands:

5. BowHunterKc

BowHunterKc New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Nice buck and welcome!

6. Mofireman39

Mofireman39 New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Congrats man! I bet that is a rush being in a blind at eye level, and to be that close to a nice buck!!!

MoFire

7. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Great buck. Congrats. Do you have any pics of your blind? Curious what your set up looked like, and how much you brushed in your blind. THANKS. :claphands: :cheers:

8. luckystrike63

luckystrike63 New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    I don't have a blind pic, but it is brushed in...well. If I have cedars around, I will cut a hole in a good size tree. Literally cut all of the limbs out of the direction the blind is facing, leaving overhanging limbs to break up the roof-line. I use the cut limbs to conceal the blind. If you brush it in really well, you can hunt the same day with confidence. Also, IMO, cedar also helps mask scent. I think a mistake a lot of guys make is to try and creat more than one or two shooting lanes. If I'm in a blind, I know I am hunting tight quarters. I set up where I know deer have one, maybe two options when they approach. You will not see a lot of deer when you are hunting thick cover in a blind, but when you do they will be close.

9. Nice buck and welcome to the forum.

10. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
  11. CLIFFHANGER

CLIFFHANGER Active Member

:claphands: Very Nice Buck:eek::

12. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    Nothin wrong with that one. Congrats man.:claphands::claphands::claphands::eek::

13. mofarmboy

mofarmboy Active Member

Nov 18, 2007
    central mo.
    congrats looks like he has some good mass:D

14. lma

lma Active Member

Good story and good pic! Congrats! And.....welcome to MWT! :cheers:

15. Radar

Radar Active Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Liberty , Mo.