Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cows have been ballin real bad all day back where i hunt, so my grandpa and i went to our back fencline to find 2 neighbors goats dead, two calf carcasses and a calf with a chunk out of its neck(recent) checked with the neighbors and a mountain lion has been seen...not good, anyone know if i"ll get in trouble for carrying a 357 pistol with me for self defense?

·
Grrrrrrr
29,951 Posts
What part of the state??? What is the nearest town?

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
:peepwall:

if it is in fact a mtn lion, a pistol wont be helping you much. have you ever watched a housecat sneak up on something and kill it? you would be had before you had any idea you had to get your pistol out (which you cant legaly carry while bowhunting anyway). it would be odd for it to be a mtn lion anyway, they drag their prey off from where its killed to eat it.

where is this at anyway?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
texas county east of houston, conservation confirmed it was a mountain lion with paw prints

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[rquote=1490558&tid=104133&author=cardiackiller]texas county east of houston, conservation confirmed it was a mountain lion with paw prints[/rquote]sw missouri

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
I would just go huntin and do my best not to look like a deer, a cow, or a goat. After dark just be sure to talk and wistle on your way out.:D

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
328 Posts
cardiackiller

If possible, could you post some pictures of the recently killed carcus.

Just curious to see what a Mt. Lion Kill looks like.

Good luck,

Scout22

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
[rquote=1490710&tid=104133&author=Scout22]cardiackiller

If possible, could you post some pictures of the recently killed carcus.

Just curious to see what a Mt. Lion Kill looks like.

Good luck,

Scout22[/rquote]

agreed, found one on our place that was chewed up pretty bad last month.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i cant the carcasses have already been moved, but i can try to get one of the calf that had a chunk out of its neck, its sewed up but still nasty, might be next weekend though i have to go back to school this week.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My brother-in-law hunts on some land in the columbia area with some friends and they took this picture of a doe a mt lion got ahold of.....and this is what a mt. lion kill looks like!:peepwall:

Photobucket

·
Registered
21,280 Posts
Its legal to carry a .357 with you while you are firearms hunting - regular rifle season or antlerless season. Not legal to carry a pistol while archery or muzzleloader hunting.

·
Registered
587 Posts
[rquote=1490909&tid=104133&author=Gamegetter]Its legal to carry a .357 with you while you are firearms hunting - regular rifle season or antlerless season. Not legal to carry a pistol while archery or muzzleloader hunting. [/rquote]

Unless it is a muzzleloading pistol. That can be carried in addition to your rifle. :D

·
Banned
11,330 Posts
I don't care what the laws are, I'd be carrying a pistol. I wouldn't let the laws determine If I can defend myself from a Mountain Lion......or in my case, on my land, wild meth heads.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
I don't care either,Where I bow hunt there are several wild dogs that I don't feel like getting mauled by so I always carry my 9mm on my hip.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
suddenincline did it also have bites on its neck because I couldnt see any in the pic. Why I ask is that most say that a cat will go for the neck first.

---ViperSniper---

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
[rquote=1490961&tid=104133&author=ymurf]I don't care either,Where I bow hunt there are several wild dogs that I don't feel like getting mauled by so I always carry my 9mm on my hip.[/rquote]

Thats a bad deal right there, been there back when I was trappin, if they have converted back to pack mentality they need to be taken care of. Without going into a long story imagine having a hold of one & being surrounded by the rest, total darkness, weak flashlight, & a .22 semi-auto rifle loaded full ! I left with an empty rifle & dogs on my heels, more dangerous than a lion IMO.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well i can't tell from the pic either I will ask my brother ..... my 2 cents is I have a CCW and yes it is still illegal to carry while bow hunting however several conservation agents that I have spoke with will not ticket if you have a CCW but that does not speak for all, given when confronted you are up front with them that you are in possesion a CCW at that time. This I believe is something that has been talked about for sometime to poss make it legal to carry if your licensed. Can't confirm though.
:rules:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts