Not Happy

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by tcwild, Jan 4, 2018.

1. tcwild

tcwild Junior Member

Oct 16, 2013
    holden,mo
    Friend called me today to tell me Kansas season starts after Mo this year. That kind of screws up my normal way of doing things. I don't like change. That's all.

Skduckhunt, bulletman and 20' like this.
  2. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Doesn't KS have an archery season that starts early

3. tcwild

tcwild Junior Member

Oct 16, 2013
    holden,mo
    Ya they have youth and archery that starts before firearms. The way the seasons workout this year firearms start on the wed of our season instead of the wed before. Just used to going out there the Wed Thurs and Fri camping, mushroom hunting, and getting the kinks worked out before our season.

4. EZRA

EZRA Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Do u ever find any sheds

5. tcwild

tcwild Junior Member

Oct 16, 2013
    holden,mo
    Never found anything big.

6. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    Say it aint so!!!!
    Season kept getting pushed back after the early archery was implemented.
    That sure throws a wrench in how I have planned turkey season for the past 18 years.

7. tcwild

tcwild Junior Member

Oct 16, 2013
    holden,mo
    Sorry but it is so. I think archery and the kidos both get a weekend. I havn't had the heart to actually look at the regs to see it in black and white. And to add more misery my buddy thinks next year will be the same.

8. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Yep. It's later. 4/18 through 5/31.

9. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    Just got hit with a double whammy on this deal. Due to a K-8 program, the School District decided to add 6 days to Summer School and tack them onto the beginning. All I will have is a three day weekend between the end of school and summer school with all of the snow days we have had.
    Don't even know if it will be worth buying a Kansas tag this year. I have a four day weekend still intact pending snow days around April 1st. May hit the Nebraska early archery instead. Couldnt have sctewed yp my Kansas plans any more.

10. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    Looks like you can buy your rags online again this year. They must have decided that it wasnt worth the hassle to make people buy them at a vendor...

11. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    Either that or they just figured a way to pizz even more people off with the Season date change.

12. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    I work with some guys that went out there the last week of season and hunted all public land and they all killed birds and heard lots of gobbling and the birds worked good. Sometimes later is better!!!!!

13. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    The date or structure didnt change, its just the calendar thats different. Youth get the first weekend, archery the second, then firearms starts on wednesday just like always. This year the first falls on a sunday so its all pushed as far back as it can be.

14. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    Not like always exactly....Just since inclusion of an early archery season....You know...the season put in place for those folks wanting a greater challenge, but wanting to get to hunt unpressured birds at the same time.

thh058 likes this.
  15. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Did it used to start the first wednesday? I cant remember...

16. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    That may be part of it, but I think its more to prevent conflicts with other hunters.

17. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    From what I recall it was the first Wednesday after the first Monday.

tcwild likes this.
  18. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    I agree.

19. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I think kansas has always started by calendar date and not day of week. The youth/disabled/archery used to run concurrently for I believe 10 days. I don't remember how long ago they moved archery back to allow youth and disabled to have a headstart.

20. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    I believe firearms turkey has always started on Wednesday, just like deer season.

The archery start being moved back happened I believe in 2013 or 2014. It hasnt been that long ago.

tcwild likes this.