Not a crappie but....

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by FisherBoy, Mar 17, 2006.

1. FisherBoy

FisherBoy New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Central Missouri
    Caught this buffalo on a 3" grub 4#line while crappie fishing at Thomas Hill Lake a couple of weeks ago. Talk about a surprise. We didn't have a working scale, but measured the fish at 32" long.

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Holy schmokes!! Nice surprise.. hey, thay aint that bad to eat if you fixem right.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine years ago at lake of the ozarks.. We were crappie fishing near some docks and he was using one of those microlite spinning rigs. He was in the front of the boat and all of a sudden I hear him hollerin. That little pole was doubled over and this fish was walking him all around the front of the boat. We were both laughing so hard we bout fell in... it was hilarious. He finally got that fish to the top and it was bout a 6# drum (we callem water possums). Never forget that day... :rotfl:

3. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    wow thats a heck of a land on a crappie pole and rig

4. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    what a beast... :cheers:

5. Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Greene Co.
    Nice catch. :cheers: How long did it take you to land it on 4# test line?

6. FisherBoy

FisherBoy New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Central Missouri
    Thanks. It certainly wasn't what I expected to hit the little 3" grub. It took about 10 minutes to land while chasing him around with the trolling motor. I thought for sure he was going to snap the line on a couple of runs, but the cheapy shakespear combo from wallymart worked pretty good. (wonder if I could get them to sponser me..haha!) My friend dipped him when he came up next to the boat. I was glad I left the big dipnet in the boat that day. We also caught a bunch of largemouth bass, and a couple of hybrids on the same outfit that put up just as good of a fight but much smaller fish. It was a good day on the water. My friend brought his 9 year old son, and he got to witness the whole thing. We fried up part of the buffalo that night along with a small channel cat, and some tators. I have to say it tasted pretty good after a day on the water in 20 degree temps. :) Only one crappie caught all day. We just couldn't find them.

7. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Water Possum....that's too good...Yea Deepwoods goat, bowfishin is a blast eh!!!!!!

8. gdog

gdog New Member

Nov 22, 2006
    Where at in Thomas Hill? Will you keep it for good eating?

9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    gdog.. this was posted in this past march so I reckon he's made the eat/no eat decision by now. :wave: