North Missouri youth

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by mo-michigan, Nov 1, 2010.

1. mo-michigan

mo-michigan New Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Michigan
    returned from north Missouri(Bethany) last night and this was by far the best hunts we have had out there, for the money and what we got out of it. Nothing was killed but they have just started to chase big time. Hunted a 115 acre piece that I have never seen or hunted and it was very nice..thick timber, thick crp and surounded by picked ag.

Son and I saw lots of activity, including most every night a shooter buck with lots of young bucks in the mix. Archery of course Thur/Friday we both had big bucks withink 50-60 yards but never closed the deal. I had first morning two big bucks traveling together that I barely saw 400 yards in the crp, grunted and they immediately started my way but no closer than 120 yards, 30 min. later up over the hill they came passing 50 yards away. one was a big 8, that would go 130.

Youth weekend came and son passed multiple smaller bucks, Sat eve. went to shoot a big bodied small rack 8 and "click" tried the bolt and nothing. Later it seems the Remington bullet was dented but no fire. I fired the gun ealry Sunday morning and was fine, bad bullt!?. Sunday morning he passed on some more younger bucks, and saw a big rack inthe woods but never offered a shot, came out the edge and took off on a good jaunt up and over the field , long shot but either way couldn't stop him.

Stayed at a wonderful lodge, which we had all by ourself the whole time until the last night when one guy came in that was hunting with an outfitter. Great trip, son slightly dissappointed he didn't put a tag on, but had a great time with all the activity we were seeing.

Thanks Missouri for a solid trip...back in Michigan!

2. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Sounds like a great hunt to me....and you almost went home with a nice buck to boot!!!

3. Satch

Satch Senior Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Central MO
    Remind your son that Jan 1-2 is the second youth season if he can make it down.

4. mo-michigan

mo-michigan New Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Michigan
    Satch, I forgot about that. Thanks.