(NoLuck) Strikes Again

Discussion in 'Trout & Fly Fishing' started by NoLuck, Sep 27, 2017.

1. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    I fish for gills once in a while, yeah. It's a hoot. I either use a CB or a popper. Of course I've caught bass too. Smallies and large mouth. Some day I want to do some salmon and steel head fishing.

2. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    Oh... And after seeing guys catching redfish in South Carolina around Charleston I'm all about that too sometime in the future. Wow do those things put up a fight.

3. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Never thought about it and sure don't have the equipment, but we've just rented a canoe and gone fishing in FL with shrimp and man any of those salt water fish on a fly rod would flat wear a man slick. Caught a decent little red on a medium heavy bass rod once and finally when I got him to the canoe the fifth time we netted him. That was the same day I tried to get a 5ft Bonnethead shark, my BIL bout didn't go fishing with me again after trying to catch that shark from a canoe.

4. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    Definitely makes you second guess the part about us being the top of the food chain don't it???

I think the guys I saw fly fishing for Reds had 9 and 10 wt rods. Two handed rods also. They were using flys that looked like shrimp and small crabs. There were tons of guides around there to take you out. All of them said the same thing about waiting for the right tides though. And I wasn't there at the right times.

5. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Yeah, 9, 10, 11, even 12 for the salt. The billfish guys use 14 to 16 wt rods! I'm not in that club yet, if ever. I have rods ranging from 2 to 10 wt. which covers most any U.S. continental species. I think most of the guides stick with 9s and 10s because most of their clients would have trouble with anything bigger.

6. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    I'm debating getting a 7 wt for fishing Taney at night. I haven't done it yet and I wanna hook one of those big Browns.

7. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Big browns are fun, even on a spinning rod. :tup:

8. 421sd

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Throw some big streamers. An 8 would work nice if you have one. I need a 6. That's kind of a gap for me right now.

9. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    Yep. Big browns like big food. I really haven’t played around with too many heavier weight rods. All the guys that fish a lot there tell me 7 or 8wt. I usually like a softer rod so I’m figuring a 7wr for me. Guess I need to try them both out first.

10. 421sd

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    It just depends on what you want, but you can have a heavier rod with a softer feel if that's what you prefer. Over-lining a rod will make it seem like a softer rod than what it is.

I'm no expert on it or anything, but I think most of the big streamer guys/gals throw an 8 for trout streamer fishing. I'm sure there are plenty that go up or down a weight depending on their preferences/style of fishing.

I threw my 10wt for smallies on my float trips this year. First trip I just wanted to catch some fish on it as it is a fairly new rod for me and I hadn't caught a fish on it yet. Second trip it was more of a back-up rod for me but I kept a really big fly on it to throw at spots that looked like they might have a really big smallie lurking. (There were no big smallies aggressive enough to eat the fly though....)