(NoLuck) Strikes Again

Discussion in 'Trout & Fly Fishing' started by NoLuck, Sep 27, 2017.

1. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    Well, I think I have an addiction. I guess it could be worse. Took in my broken stuff for warranties and ended up buying another Winston Boron rod. This one makes my 4th. I’ve played with a lot of different fly rods over the last 10 years or so. Seems like I always end up with the Winston medium action being what I feel is best for me. Can’t wait to get back on the stream and give it a test run.

2. Rack_Hunter

Rack_Hunter Sensitivity Aficionado

Congratulations on the new purchase.

Did the manufacturers make good on the lifetime warranties ?

3. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    Well Smith gave me a credit of $239.00 on my glasses. They no longer make the model I had. So I’m gonna get the new model of the guides choice polarized glass lens fishing glasses. It’ll cost me $10.00 out of pocket.

I’d say they did a pretty good job of taking care of me.

Rack_Hunter likes this.
  4. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    The new rod just isn’t quite as sweet as the rod I broke. I may need to play with the balance of it with a different reel and maybe over line it a bit. It’s a little stiffer than my B2T but it does feel pretty good with about 25’ of line out. I use a DT line mostly. But I may have to experiment with a WF line on the new rod. It’s always fun playing around with a new rod to find the sweet spot. I just hate spending 70-80 bucks on different lines to find out what works best.

The reel balance won’t be an issue. I’ve got about 7 or 8 different reels I can try on it. Fun fun!!

5. DCSarchette

DCSarchette Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2016
    Bland, Mo.
    You guys make my cane pole, hook, and bobber sound kinda obsolete.

fishshooter, venatic and deerblaster like this.
  6. DCSarchette

DCSarchette Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2016
    Bland, Mo.
    But I do appreciate, and respect professionalism in any sport, even if I don't partake in the extremes of it. You guys sound like ya know your stuff, and it is interesting to read the possibilities of where a cane pole can lead. ----carry on

deerblaster likes this.
  7. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    Not really. Everything has it’s use. Modern fly fishing and traditional fly fishing rods all have certain nuances that are better when you play around with different things till you find what works best for an individuals liking. Kinda like bows.

fishshooter likes this.
  8. Rack_Hunter

I wish I knew more about fly fishing, but I do catch fish.

This is what I mainly use.

IMG_0138.JPG

9. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    Crystal bugger!!

10. Rack_Hunter

Do you use them?
    Do they work in the spring too?
    I'm going to attempt to tie some

11. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    Yeah they work. I use them once in a while. I use buggers and cracklebacks on a full sink line in the deep pools on occasion. Just vary your speed on the retrieve till you figure out what works. Cast across and down and let it swing. When it straightens out start your retrieve. Some people fish them under an indicator too.

12. Rack_Hunter

The floods have silted in all the deep pools at Roaring River. It's really sad how much three floods and a dam replacement have changed the place. I hope they deepen a few pools this winter with that long armed track hoe MDC has.

What kind of cracklebacks and wolly buggers?

13. MOFish20

MOFish20 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Deep State
    I have that same pair, and it's actually the 3rd pair of Smith's I have owned. I had the Cayman, which I LOVED, they were discontinued so I got something else...those delaminated and were not in stock, so I went with Guide's Choice. I have the Havana STO. Great glasses and they're holding up a lot better than my old pairs.

They do take care of you with warranty info, that's for sure.

I think you'll like the glasses, good full coverage. My last pair didnt block the peripheral light very well and that's my main issue. I took a Tx-rig in my right eye in 2001 and have had many surgeries and lots of issues, I have to protect my right eye from as much exposure as possible since the injury (pupil doesnt respond to light/dark changes very rapidly).

14. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    I tie CB’s in a bunch of different colors. All size 12. Buggers I use in black,olive and brown mostly. Some bead head some not. Some weighted some not in a mixture of sizes of 8-16’s. Just gotta experiment.

Bennett has filled in a bunch too. They dredged out above the dam last winter and it’s a lot deeper now. Still lots of sand and gravel filled in all over. I don’t mind shallow water fishing if it’s got rocks and a good flow to it. Trout like that stuff.

15. Rack_Hunter

MDC put some rocks in the catch and release zone, but there is no room for rocks in the other pools.

Roaring River is misnamed. The spring has 1/5 the average output of Bennett Spring

16. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    Never really cared much for roaring River because you cannot wade.

17. Rack_Hunter

You can wade in Zone 2 at Roaring River. No need to wade the other zones.

I'm not a big fan of Bennett because you almost have to wade. Outfitting a wife and 2 kids in waders seemed outrageous at the time

18. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    I get that. But with using a fly rod it gets kinda tough on the bank sometimes. I can cast 75-80 feet of line but when you do, you need that much room behind you also. Plus now days it seems like everybody makes waders and they are reasonably priced.

19. Rack_Hunter

I seen a guy cast that much line once at Bennett. I stopped fishing just to watch for a while.
    You have no idea how little I know about fly fishing. I did have a lot of luck at Bennett with fur balls and John Deere mini jigs, neither of which work at Roaring River.

20. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    No Luck do you fish for species other than trout? I'm working on adding species I've not caught before on the fly.