(NoLuck) Strikes Again

Discussion in 'Trout & Fly Fishing' started by NoLuck, Sep 27, 2017.

1. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    Well... I lived up to my username again this past weekend. My not so sure footed self tripped on the edge of my concrete at my camper and the Winston Boron rod I was carrying in my right hand jammed into the awning mechanism. Result...... Broken rod in two places. Two minutes later I take off my sunglasses. Smith Action optics Guides choice and the left ear stem fell off. I figured a simple fix, screw must've fallen out. Not so fast there unlucky one.... The hinge actually broke. My Luck!!!!!

Both items are under lifetime warranty. But both are old enough that they are no longer made. I guess I'll get to test the customer relations of both manufacturers this week.

It's a good thing I have back ups for both items. But, with luck like that going I wonder if I should reconsider going fishing for a couple weekends.

2. Stan The Man

Stan The Man Member

Mar 4, 2008
    You do not know where I live. Let's keep it that way.:cheers:

fishshooter and NoLuck like this.

3. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I hope you didn't drive to the fishn hole.:eek:

4. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    Trust me, the drive home, I was very much on alert.

5. Mailman

Mailman Retired Drip (Expert)

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Is it true that bad luck comes in threes?

6. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    Three????
    I’ll take it!!! That’s just a drop in the bucket for me.
    Wait... I’m a poet and don’t know it. LOL

7. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Weather temps are great and my guess is that fishing is great also lucky man. ;)

Crappie likes this.
  8. Rack_Hunter

Rack_Hunter Sensitivity Aficionado

Did you grab your backup gear and go fishing anyway?
    Hope they replace it with an acceptable substitute.

9. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    Yeah, I went with a cheap Fenwick combo I bought out in AZ this year. I leave it at my camper in case I ever want to drop by and go fishing. It’s an OK unit. Just not as smooth as my Winston’s and T&T’s, and Scott rods.

The Winston 4Wt B2T rod is my favorite rod at Bennett. I sure hope they have blanks left to fix the tip section. The sunglasses I couldn’t really care what they want to do. As long as they are glass polarchromic lenses I’m good.

10. Rack_Hunter

How was the fishing?

11. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    We all get a turn in that bucket for sure :banging:

12. wiser1

wiser1 Trash Picker

Apr 15, 2013
    Jefferson county
    Ouch a Winston ,,,thats gotta hurt ....Where do you get your warranty work done ? Through Winston or dealer ? Tom Hargrove made me a Winston 3 wt few years back ...He does good work

WBF likes this.
  13. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    I’m gonna run it by and see Tom Saturday. He usually takes care of shipping warranty stuff for me and bills me the shipping costs and such.

I’m really hoping they can make me a new tip section at Winston for it. I haven’t cast the new medium action B3LS yet. It may be similar. I’ve cast the AIR and it’s pretty nice. Just a little quicker action than the B2T and a little slower than my B3X. Sooner or later it’s gonna happen. That one didn’t hurt as much as my SweetGrass Bamboo. That one cost me 6 bills to get another tip section and the broken one replaced. But it’s all good now. It had a lifetime warranty also but my bamboo was custom made and had more expensive components on it. Ehh... it’s only money.

14. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    Fishing was mediocre at best. Most of the fish were just doing the circle dance with other fish. I caught close to 25 fish in maybe 5 hours. So I guess I couldn’t complain too much. That was from about 10:30 till 3:30 on Sunday. Which is usually pretty tough anyway.

15. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Dad always said to carry a fly rod with the tip behind you. That way when you stumble you don't break the tip. That advice has saved me rod breakage more than once.

sharps4590 likes this.
  16. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    I always carry my rod behind me while walking around while I'm fishing. Like up and down trails and back and forth from the truck to the stream. But I was literally 15 foot from my truck to my campers concrete pad. I took the rod off the Sumo rack and took 6 or 7 steps and tripped. In hindsight I don't know what else I could've done except not trip. Shtuff happens. Just gotta roll with the carnage sometimes.

17. Rack_Hunter

No, you can complain all you want and I'll listen, but that many fish in the toughest part of the day on a Sunday is pretty good. 3:30 -7:00 would have netted you twice many.
    My daughter caught and released a lunker last time we were at Roaring. Now she has a patch.

Pastor likes this.
  18. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    That's cool she caught and released it. Most people just have to drag them around and show it to everyone. I've probably caught close to 15 lunkers this year. Some were questionable and some were no doubters. Either way, I could've had a bunch of buttons or patches. The only one I kept I ended up giving it to a guy as I was leaving. I couldn't revive it to release it. Gave they guy my tag and my conservation number along with my phone number in case there were questions from a warden. He was tickled just to have it as he fished all day and only caught 2 fish.

Rack_Hunter likes this.
  19. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    I hope they treat you better than Loomis did me last week. It finally worked out but took several phone calls and I had to let the first rep know that he was going to talk to me like a man and not treat me like a child. I was respectful but I had to threaten to never own a Loomis again before he would help me.

20. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    It helps having the Fly shop owner handle your warranty. I've never had a problem yet with 3 rods that Ive had to warranty. Plus having a warranty on a rod that states it's pretty much unconditional helps too. I'm not worried about them taking care of the warranty as much as getting what I already had and like. I really want another tip section for this rod. I love the thing. But, I'll concede and take an upgrade to the newer version even if I have to pay the difference of any price.