no turnips for this yrs food plots for me (pics

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by rmr, Feb 6, 2006.

1. rmr

rmr New Member

I went to the farm this week-end and looked for some sheds and looked at the food plots . The Turnips just didnt do it for me this year I know there were tons of acorns but it doesnt look like to me they used them hardly at all. I have planted
    rape seed and some biologic in the past and had good luck
    but for my money I think I m going to stick to beans, clover and maybe wheat this fall.

2. rmr

rmr New Member

another pic of the turnips

3. rmr

rmr New Member

this same field of beans was flat by this time last year. I think they would still make 15 bu to the acre I have seen
    alot of activity in the beans the last couple of weeks the
    turkeys have moved into them also

4. TOBRYAN

TOBRYAN Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    Rmr, I ll have to agree with your findings. I was out looking at mine about 10 days ago, ofcourse I hadnt been out there in several weeks. It looked like some of the tops had been eaten and a few, very few turnips had a bite here and a bite there taken out.
    The wheat, ben oats and buck forage oats surrounding the turnips had been grazed to the ground.

5. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I had planted turnips last year and didn't see any activity at all. I'm sticking with the basic grains.

6. OA3D

OA3D New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Otterville
    Hey those first two pics look like you took them on my plot :whinging:
    They ate more of the leaves back in Sept/Oct than anything, but I will be doing it again this fall with a dose in the spring to kick it up a notch.

7. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

We had similar results,,,but it was with turnips, rape, sugar beets, milo, clover alfalfa and winter peas. The most activity any of these foods have had since the acorns started falling has been the past 2 weeks. There are still some acorns on the ground,,I've never seen a year like this one.

:cheers::cheers:

8. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    I'm with you henry. Plots just weren't utilized this year like they normally are no matter what was in them. All my turnips got eaten for the most part, but still things aren't normal. Hope the acorn crop sucks next year!

9. ladeerman

ladeerman Active Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Laccassine, LA
    My thoughts exactly hoytshooter!

10. Kickers288

Kickers288 Active Member

sounds good to me. going to be putting in new food plots this year.

11. mobiggerbucks

mobiggerbucks New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    lake of the ozarks
    Thats really interesting . Year before last I put in about 1/4 acre of turnips and swore I would never do it again because the deer had them eat to bare ground by october . I planted them in early september .

12. Goldtip

Goldtip New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Santa Fe MO
    I checked my turnip patch on sunday and had the same results as everyone else, I got a few pulled out of the ground and a few with a bite taken out of them, but nothing to go wild over. Hopefully next year we will have better results.