Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Good news. I don’t know why we just don’t have all the deer wear masks. CWD will be done for

·
Registered
32,991 Posts

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
74,340 Posts
There was an article in the latest North American Hunter magazine which is put out by the NRA.

It was entitled. "Killing more Bucks reduces the Spread of CWD"....... I have not had time to read it all yet, but anyone expecting government agencies to put in regulations that protect bucks so they get older, probably are going to be dissappointed. By me saying that, does not mean I am happy about it. I am just stating the facts. If you want to manage deer for older age class bucks..... You are on your own to make that happen in the areas you hunt, expecting MDC or any other Game & Fish dept to do it for you is becoming more and more of a pipe dream.......

Personally, I belive it should be up to the hunters to work with each other to make that happen. You want bigger bucks on your property, it's up to you to make that happen.... And, you also have to understand, that in some places... it's just not very realistic, depending on your neighbors, etc. So, you either need to be prepared to move, or to live with the cards you are dealt.

Just the way I see it, you don't have to agree with me. :D

·
Registered
19,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was an article in the latest North American Hunter magazine which is put out by the NRA.

It was entitled. "Killing more Bucks reduces the Spread of CWD"....... I have not had time to read it all yet, but anyone expecting government agencies to put in regulations that protect bucks so they get older, probably are going to be dissappointed. By me saying that, does not mean I am happy about it. I am just stating the facts. If you want to manage deer for older age class bucks..... You are on your own to make that happen in the areas you hunt, expecting MDC or any other Game & Fish dept to do it for you is becoming more and more of a pipe dream.......

Personally, I belive it should be up to the hunters to work with each other to make that happen. You want bigger bucks on your property, it's up to you to make that happen.... And, you also have to understand, that in some places... it's just not very realistic, depending on your neighbors, etc. So, you either need to be prepared to move, or to live with the cards you are dealt.

Just the way I see it, you don't have to agree with me. :D

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
74,340 Posts
BTW.....

This is the same research article I mentioned from NRA.

In particular this paragraph below..... So, if you think APR's are coming back, or they are going to move rifle season outside the rut...... I sincerely doubt either of those things will happen. I am just pointing out some fact here. This has nothing to do with what I would prefer, especially if CWD was not a factor. But the reality is, at least for now..... it is a huge factor. So, it's up to you as a hunter to manage the lands you hunt as you see fit, the States not going to manage for older age class bucks with CWD still a hot topic.....

"A new study based on extensive harvest data from 36 Western U.S. and Canadian mule deer management units found that shooting more bucks in one year consistently reduced chronic wasting disease cases the next year. That strategy proved most effective when the harvests occurred near or during the rut, i.e., the deer’s mating period. That’s probably because rutting bucks take more risks, and mature bucks are more likely to carry CWD, which makes them even more vulnerable to hunters."

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
74,340 Posts
Nor do they have the absolute dumbest deer leading them here in the ol USA
I think, and maybe it's just me... But, doesn't a person have to have a brain, to be dumb? :D

Reactions: 20'
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.