Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wanna be turkey killer! I busted my first ever gobbler on opening day in Indiana. 21 1/2 pounds 10" Beard and 5/8" spurs! :eek:

I was on my way out of the woods. Got to the field where we parked the truck and he was out in the field about 175 yds just struttin his :***: off. I crawled to the edge and planted a hen decoy just on the edge and crawled back. After I caught my breath the game was on! It went something like this.....(quaker boy push-pull box call ) prrr yelp,yelp yelp.......(him) gobble gobble.......prrr yelp yelp....gobble gobble strut movin in. 125 yds out gobble strut 20 ft circles (Dan's heart rate ~100 bpm) movin closer.
15 minutes elapse....gobble, gobble strut 100yds out....yelp yelp yelp prrr cluck cluck......almost a jog straight at me:eek: (Dan's heart rate ~125bpm) gobble gobble strut 40 ft circle still movin in. Uh oh where'd he go? prrr yelp, yelp......gobble gobble to my left Danny in all his infinite wisdom set up without a shooting lane to his left because of a huge rose bush :banghead::banghead: Bird's hung up at 40 yds trying to get my decoy to take the plunge. 20 minutes elapse Dan's heart rate is about ~1000bpm and he cant stand it anymore. Inch inch I still cant see....yelp yelp...Gobble. Inch inch Sh!& dont move I see him 40 yds out struttin his fool head off in 10 ft circles I cant get my gun up with a clear shot because of the huge sycamore tree on the edge of the field man I'm a dumb a$$. Strut strut, back to me, take a step....strut strut, back to me, take a step.....strut strut, back to me, take a step....strut BANG!:banana: and the rest my friends is what they say HISTORY!
I'll try to post some pics but I just dont have very many good ones. I cant pull the ones on my phone ( the only camera I remembered to take to the woods) off onto my computer:mad2:.

Moral of this story men.....whether real or just a plastic decoy women can often be the death of us!

·
Registered
11,905 Posts
On the way out-what a deal.

Good Job.

:cheers:

Reminds me of the time I was giving it up for the day and walking out down a old logging road and looked off to my right an saw all huckered down and hiding in the brush this big old tom looking at me. He was hiding like a deer waiting for me to pass. A 12 gauge at 20 ft throws about a 6 in pattern being a full choke 3 in mag.

Well I got him I held about 3 in high off his head. That was the last retarded tom I have ever came across.

I keep trying to find another though.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Great story shortmag!
Congrats on the gobbler!
:cheers::cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.