Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Far!
How can someone have no freakin luck doing something that involves getting up early, driving for who knows how long, getting skunked, and still have a great time? I do not know why but I am having a heck of a time just being out there. First I get the heck scared out of me by a deer that I thought was a bear, later an owl flew out of a tree and it must have had a 5' wing span, thought it was going to attack me, then I jump TWO Gobblers that scared the heck out of me because they were literally 20 FEET from me and I have never seen one that close and they were HUGE! One took flight and the other scurried off on foot! Needless to say I was too shocked to take a shot! I need to take my little girl skirt off and quit screaming like a little girl and get er done! I am getting there, luckily I was alone and no one there to laugh too much but me! Perils of Nicholas; to be continued! Original Al, where were you when I needed you as back up?
:pop:

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
I'm feeling about the same way man...

I actually had a tom coming into my decoys on saturday morning....
He was coming across the damn of our lake headed right for me, about 80 yards at this point. Anyways, there were three geese on the lake and they swam over to the water near the damn and one of them raised up to stretch and flap it's wings.... (*O&^ &$%^ $*%% ^*@$ #%^@ *%^@$ @&#) and the tom flew off into the neibor's place.

I also had someone take a shot somewhere close to me on the neibor's place... not the first time this season I've proly called in a bird for them. BUT the thing was that I went over to the neibor's place to see how many birds they've taken with all the shooting that they've been doing... AND NO ONE WAS THERE! Dang paocher's lucky I didn't see them. And then there was tht shot that sounded awful a lot like it was in our field....

BAH... can you tell I'm a bit frustrated with this turkey seaon????

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, gobblers 1, Nicholas 0, but I have a 5 more days!
:wave:

·
Registered
462 Posts
yeah I walked within 3 yds of a deer one time walking to my stand in the dark. He snorted and you know how that sounds. He was also grunting. he was a little buck. but still I was a little scared but its all good. I love that feeling!

·
5,631 Posts
That's great, Nicholas! :rotfl:

Don't let anyone tell you that they don't get spooked in the woods every now and then. It happens to all of us.

Happened to me a couple weeks ago IN BROAD DAYLIGHT! I was scouting for turks and I walked within about 30 yds of a whole daggum flock of turkey vultures that were resting on a cliff overlooking the Osage River. They all took off at the same time and I thought the whole hillside was collapsing into the water. Scared me to death. :peepwall:

·
Registered
18,249 Posts
Originally posted by Nicholas I need to take my little girl skirt off and quit screaming like a little girl and get er done!
:pop:
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

A question I love to ask someone who just had the holy heck scared out of them..WHAT possibly could it have been ?!

My favorite answer came from a grown man who got the begeezes scared out of him one morning walking into a remote tree stand in Indiana where we have no critters that eat you or anything like that...

His answer, as serious as a heart attack was...
Well a monster of course !!

Stick to it Nicholas ! :cheers:

·
5,631 Posts
Originally posted by hunter7x
A question I love to ask someone who just had the holy heck scared out of them..WHAT possibly could it have been ?!
When I was younger I was with my church youth group and we were hiking at a state park North of Jeff City. My best friend at the time had gone up ahead of the group for some reason. He comes flying back to the group, out of breath and scared. Swears that he saw an ostrich. He STILL swears to it to this day! I've given up trying to convince him that it was a turkey.

I don't know. Stranger things have happened, I guess.

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
Being scared chitless in the woods is the real sign of a good time had while hunting.

Jack

·
just a no body
16,020 Posts
I'v been up at 0400 for the last 4 days sometimes I hear Gobbles mostly not..never seeing more than a few hens or a doe & its yearling.

I for 1 am not having fun anymore.

My Girlfriend just cooked my jake breast into some sort of Turky & rice grool crap so now I cant have my yearly Wild Turkey fingers, Mashed Taters & gravy corn & biscuts:banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can go any time, you know that sir! Just need a heads up for confirmation purposes. Bring an umbrella in case it rains, one of those golf ones would work great, they are big too....

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Originally posted by jmmcguire
Originally posted by hunter7x
When I was younger I was with my church youth group and we were hiking at a state park North of Jeff City. My best friend at the time had gone up ahead of the group for some reason. He comes flying back to the group, out of breath and scared. Swears that he saw an ostrich. He STILL swears to it to this day! I've given up trying to convince him that it was a turkey.

I don't know. Stranger things have happened, I guess.
Jmac, there is a guy here in town, who was video'ing from his treestand one fall...he had a nice longbearded gobbler come down the trail....and a few minutes later, an ostrich!!! A neighbor used to raise them, and that one got out of the pen....I told him i'da tried out my Thunderhead on him, and cut off a horses tail, tied it round it's neck, and gone to da check station.....lol

·
5,631 Posts
Brad, how funny would that be? The CA would have been speechless! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
18,249 Posts
[/quote]

Jmac, there is a guy here in town, who was video'ing from his treestand one fall...he had a nice longbearded gobbler come down the trail....and a few minutes later, an ostrich!!! A neighbor used to raise them, and that one got out of the pen....I told him i'da tried out my Thunderhead on him, and cut off a horses tail, tied it round it's neck, and gone to da check station.....lol [/quote]

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.