Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Did anyone happen to notice someone dragging a buck in the 130 class off of Howell this past Saturday? I got a real good shot on this guy but soon after had some drivers walk thru and push him. I tracked the blood trail over 800 yds only to find a gutpile waiting for me.Help would be appreciated! Called and talked to CA @ Busch but they said nothing could be done until I get more evidence.thanks!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
:eek: That really stinks.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
46,923 Posts
That would suck. Guess that's why I've never been out on Howell Island.

·
Navy/Air Force/Army
17,077 Posts
Good luck, but even if you did find who took him, they might have shot too. I'm afraid the possession rule is gonna work here.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
:mad2::mad2:You gotta love the rejects that do the archery drives on Howell Island! I'm sorry to hear about them jackin' everything up for ya. Hopefully they will be jinxed and not shoot a thing for the next several seasons!

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
My thoughts are this...

First of all, do you know the number of points on the deer's rack? If so, you can call an agent and indicate that a X pointer should have been telechecked on that day or the next in St. Charles County. I can't imagine the number of bow checked deer in the county being terribly high on that Saturday or Sunday. If it were a dozen bucks or less, they should go to every single persons house and investigate the issue.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
[rquote=1495633&tid=104408&author=PoisonSnake]My thoughts are this...

First of all, do you know the number of points on the deer's rack? If so, you can call an agent and indicate that a X pointer should have been telechecked on that day or the next in St. Charles County. I can't imagine the number of bow checked deer in the county being terribly high on that Saturday or Sunday. If it were a dozen bucks or less, they should go to every single persons house and investigate the issue.[/rquote]

I like your way of thinkin'! :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
And that is what the CA he spoke with should have thought right off the bat. Good call.

[rquote=1495633&tid=104408&author=PoisonSnake]My thoughts are this...

First of all, do you know the number of points on the deer's rack? If so, you can call an agent and indicate that a X pointer should have been telechecked on that day or the next in St. Charles County. I can't imagine the number of bow checked deer in the county being terribly high on that Saturday or Sunday. If it were a dozen bucks or less, they should go to every single persons house and investigate the issue.[/rquote]

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
If the buck was still alive and the other hunter shot & killed it wouldn't it be considered his buck. What is the law on that? I think you are SOL on this one either way. Will be very hard to prove he stole your deer.

·
Under appreciated
89,821 Posts
Wow... that stinks for sure.

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
[rquote=1495641&tid=104408&author=ALMOST NORMAL]If the buck was still alive and the other hunter shot & killed it wouldn't it be considered his buck. What is the law on that? I think you are SOL on this one either way. Will be very hard to prove he stole your deer.[/rquote]

almost is right, the last one to shoot it. they will surely just say it was still alive. It would be nice to get a picture of it. Again, sorry that someone would even consider doing that to anyone!

·
Under appreciated
89,821 Posts
I dont know about the last one to shoot it deal.... it could be layin dead and someone put another arrah in it and call it theirs.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
[rquote=1495651&tid=104408&author=rat]I dont know about the last one to shoot it deal.... it could be layin dead and someone put another arrah in it and call it theirs.[/rquote]

That's very possible and more than likely the situation, but the ability to prove it is minimal at best. That's why you shoot them in the head.:stirpot: :scared:

·
Registered
947 Posts
heck if they swiped it whos to say it got checked in and if it did the county it was actually killed in.:mad2::mad2:

Oh well doubt I could feel proud of something I didn't actually harvest..

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
There are certainly a lot of "what ifs". But, a gung-ho agent could probably get a little bit of information from someone ifn' I were guessing.

At the very least they could do a DNA test on every buck checked in St. Charles county and try to match it to the gut pile.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,040 Posts
[rquote=1495659&tid=104408&author=PoisonSnake]There are certainly a lot of "what ifs". But, a gung-ho agent could probably get a little bit of information from someone ifn' I were guessing.

At the very least they could do a DNA test on every buck checked in St. Charles county and try to match it to the gut pile.[/rquote]

You got to be kidding me?:eek:

·
Registered
16,729 Posts
That's why you NEVER hunt Howell alone, NEVER!

·
Registered
18,568 Posts
[rquote=1495659&tid=104408&author=PoisonSnake]There are certainly a lot of "what ifs". But, a gung-ho agent could probably get a little bit of information from someone ifn' I were guessing.

At the very least they could do a DNA test on every buck checked in St. Charles county and try to match it to the gut pile.[/rquote]

I would say they do a DNA test on what the guy calls his buck, but then how would anyone ever know that the buck was not still alive if whomever took it says it was?? It could have been alive for all we know just as much as it was not alive. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 85 Posts