Next time, I say to heck with getting a nice pic to share with you guys.

Discussion in 'Archery Hunting' started by pinwheel, Oct 29, 2010.

1. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    Fumblin around with the camera this morning very well may have cost me a chance at a dandy.:mad2::stickfight:

It was one of those hunts we all live for. 24 degrees & a very slight wind outta the SW. I crawled into my stand just as it was getting light enough to see the trees around me. Heard a deer blowing down in the timber & at first thought it was blowing at me. But the wind was wrong & I don't believe I was visible. I bleated in a spike a little later, so I'd bet it was him feeling froggy that had them worked up.

This first pic, shows my view. Frost on eveything made it easy to pick out the dark blobs that were deer in the crp.

[file]144044[/file]

Seemed like everywhere I looked this morning, I was seeing deer. A doe & fawn down the timberedge in my own crp had me wishing I had gotten in the first stand I walked under. But that wish was shortlived, cause way down in the bottom, 400 yds away I seen deer. Not long after first sighting, they were running deer. Glasses up & it was easy to see why they were running, or should I say, being herded. He was running those girls for all he was worth. I don't mean short runs either, the old doe would take him on 200 yd sprints & he was doggin her the whole way. Then he'd catch up & get her turned back the other way.

They kept this up for 45 minutes. Then I seen another buck doing the same thing with another group of does. All the time, the first buck kept bringing them closer to me with each herding. I said to myself, "self, he's gonna screw around & bring those girls right up here to you. Be ready" Unfortunately, self was too busy watchin the show.:rof2:

My setup had me right on the outside corner of my timber. To my north is the fenceline between my neighbor & my properties & I'm sitting right over the gap between the 2 properties.

After while, I seen them to the left in that drainage & they were skirting the edge coming right to me. About 80 yds away & ready to break across the open & right into the corner of my timber. The trail head is a 20 yds shot. Sun is shining right on my position & even though I was in a multi trunked tree, my movement was evidently a lot more enhanced than I thought it was. While I was fumbling for the camera, my movement was evidently picked up on, cause they turned & went back the other way, taking him with them, & the race was on again.:mad2:

[file]144046[/file] [file]144048[/file]

Not 100% sure I'da taken a shot at him if he presented, but I sure woulda liked getting a look at him at 20 yds & making that decision. He was outside his ears & had heavy mass. Couldn't ever get a for sure point count, but I'm betting at least 10. Guess that's why they call it huntin & not killin, huh? Sure was a fun hunt. Even though it was cold, with all the excitement, I never got cold. Lost count of the # of deer I seen, but I'm certain it was north of 12.

BTW, this is Jenny's opening day rifle stand. I really hope she gets a chance at a good one up there.

Pretty sure these 2 were with the second buck I seen chasin hard. These girls came from where I seen him chase them into. Good sign when ya see the fawns split off from momma. Where they stand is the trail head I believe the doe woulda took him down:2thumbsup:

[file]144050[/file] [file]144052[/file]

2. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Very nice, and I won't be out this weekend.... My wife's G-ma turns 100 tomorrow... So, you guessed it... I'll be eating birthday cake with a gal that doesn't even know who I am anymore......:whinging:

3. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Nice pics and story Pinwheel.....

CJ....I feel for ya but that's funny.

4. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1870034&tid=130180&author=archer66]Nice pics and story Pinwheel.....

CJ....I feel for ya but that's funny.[/rquote]

It's called taking one now, so I can go later.....:shrug:

Grandma has been living in another world for about 10 years now.... Does not really know who anyone is anymore. going to appease the wife and Mother in law. Keepin the peace as it were.....:shrug:

5. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    BTW. Randy go kill your buck this weekend, so you can cook the Jambalaya next weekend.....:claphands:

6. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1870037&tid=130180&author=callaojoe][rquote=1870034&tid=130180&author=archer66]Nice pics and story Pinwheel.....

CJ....I feel for ya but that's funny.[/rquote]

It's called taking one now, so I can go later.....:shrug:

Grandma has been living in another world for about 10 years now.... Does not really know who anyone is anymore. going to appease the wife and Mother in law. Keepin the peace as it were.....:shrug:[/rquote]

I'll try to take plenty of pics for ya to live vicariously through my hunt CJ.:D

BTW, I'm gonna put racksnbeards in this spot on Wed. Hope he don't screw it up.:whistle:

7. cummins5.9

cummins5.9 Baller, shot caller

Sep 27, 2006
    Yes
    [rquote=1870039&tid=130180&author=pinwheel]
    BTW, I'm gonna put racksnbeards in this spot on Wed. Hope he don't screw it up.:whistle:[/rquote]

He will. Trust me on that one. He could screw up a crow bar in a sandbox.

8. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    SORRY PINWHEEL.............BUT WE DO LIKE YOUR PICS! :D

9. Bowtech

Bowtech New Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Barnhart, Mo.
    Those are great pics Pin, your driving me nuts sitting behind this desk acting like I'm working !

10. mx1alex

mx1alex #HFBO

Mar 26, 2008
    #HFBO
    Nice looking place! Sounds like activity is good. I know of one nice buck that went down today and another that should have.

11. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Kind of hard to hunt and take pictures at the same time. Some great looking pics though.

12. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1870039&tid=130180&author=pinwheel]

I'll try to take plenty of pics for ya to live vicariously through my hunt CJ.:D

[/rquote]

Better yet, you go to G-ma's Birthday party, and eat cake with her, and I'll go hunting. She'll never know the difference....:rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2:

13. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    sweet,you don't need to kill before Jenny does. i think i even know where that is at:cheers:

14. Joeyman

Joeyman New Member

Feb 29, 2008
    St. Louis Mo
    nice pics randy. it was pretty chilly out there this morning wasn't it.

15. CLIFFHANGER

CLIFFHANGER Active Member

Nice way to spend a morning for sure! And trust me :thinking: I know about that Picture thing? Man needs about six hands seems like one`s always holding the wrong thing at the wrong time:rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2::smiley:

16. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    :kewlpics::whistle:

17. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Cliffy is right about the six hands. Me sitting there with bow on a hook to my left...grunt call strung around my neck tucked inside my shirt...can call in my right hand pocket on the harness vest...binos on the harness on my chest...camera to my right on a hook at the ready...rattling horns hanging on a hook below the bow...and I still have to watch the woods for slight flickers of deer movement....which one to grab is a toss up.

18. Doubleshot75

Doubleshot75 Active Member

Nov 6, 2006
    UHG........... I didn't go this morning and I really wish I wouldn't have seen this.

:bowing: