News from the Front...

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by X Bow T, Mar 2, 2006.

1. X Bow T

X Bow T Original Cafe'Member

Nov 21, 2002
    N & S of the MO
    My brother's brother-in-law is in Iraq Centcom and received word that the Govenor of Wyoming would be visiting, he knew he must meet with him. Here's the story:

Elk hunter gets assurance in Iraq

Associated Press writer

CHEYENNE -- Elk licenses are important to Wyoming residents, even if they're half a world away.

While on his weeklong trip to Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Belgium, Gov. Dave Freudenthal said he was approached by a concerned Wyoming soldier in Baghdad.

The soldier said he had rearranged his schedule because he heard his state's governor was visiting and had an important question to ask.

"I thought we were going to have some big, mega-international discussion," Freudenthal said. "But it was about what is really important."

The soldier wanted to know how his military deployment would affect his status for applying for an elk license. He wanted to still be able to claim resident status.

"It's just refreshing to see the things that we value in Wyoming are the things people value when they're away from Wyoming," Freudenthal said.

Military deployment would not affect the soldier's residence status for obtaining an elk license, he said.

The governor shared that story and others from his trip overseas with reporters Wednesday.

Freudenthal said several Wyoming soldiers gave him phone numbers of friends and family to call. He's in the process of completing those calls, he said.

Wyoming has troops in Iraq in the 1041st Engineer Company; 4th Infantry Division Rear Operations Center; 115th Field Artillery Brigade; 1022nd Medical Company; 2-300th Field Artillery and Wyoming Air National Guard, according to Wyoming Guard officials.

Wyoming has 272 of its Army and Air National Guard members deployed in Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Qatar and Antarctica. Along with the 20 Wyoming Guard members in Iraq, another 154 members of the 2-300th are in Fort Lewis, Wash., in preparation for deployment to Iraq

Freudenthal said he talked to several Wyoming-connected troops during the trip.

"As it is in Wyoming, you either knew their folks or knew somebody who knew their folks," he said. "It was your basic Wyoming conversation, it was just half a world away.

:cheers: It's the little things that keep the soldiers going over there. I noticed that MO has just passed a law retaining the status for MO National Guard troops also.
    All armed forces should get residency priviledges in EVERY state, if you as me.

While we're having the good days, their days aren't so good.:sniper:

Git 'em Home.
  2. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    :cheers::cheers::cheers: Fantastic..Thanks

3. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    he lives in a great elk state.they ought to give him a tag just being over there.
  4. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    Got that right!
  5. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

I agree, just from Iraq, here's your elk tag. I suggest at no cost...
  6. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
  7. caf4

caf4 Active Member

Feb 26, 2004
    St. Charles, MO
    Yep.....sounds like a pretty decent Governor to be personally making calls for the troops.
  8. MoBowman

MoBowman Active Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit

And let him hunt WHENEVER it is when he gets back:cheers::cheers:

MoBowman ```---------->