Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,037 Posts
What's funny when you read the article... It says the hunter did not live to see his buck ascend to the top spot in Pennsylvania.... Obviously, the hunter didn't care about stuff like that, which is why it was not "uncovered" until after his death. :D I am sure this isn't the only "monster buck" sitting in a garage or barn somewhere that pushes the record books....

"Sadly, Kyriss passed away many years ago and did not get the chance to see his buck climb to the top of the record books in Pennsylvania."

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Notice the deer is typical 7 on one side and typical 6 on the other just think if he had the same size horn on the side of the 6 as what is on the side with 7 what would you have then? I know you can ******* in one hand and wish in the other but if i remember my scoring correctly you reduce net by uneven side to side so say that horn on side with 7 is 4" add it back to 202=206 then 4" on both sides is 8 so 206+8 is 214. Hmmmmmm do you get another circumference measure after a certain amount i don't remember
Food for thought! Numbers really don't mean anything!! Just a damn nice deer

·
Part-time malcontent
7,945 Posts
Notice the deer is typical 7 on one side and typical 6 on the other just think if he had the same size horn on the side of the 6 as what is on the side with 7 what would you have then? I know you can *** in one hand and wish in the other but if i remember my scoring correctly you reduce net by uneven side to side so say that horn on side with 7 is 4" add it back to 202=206 then 4" on both sides is 8 so 206+8 is 214. Hmmmmmm do you get another circumference measure after a certain amount i don't remember
Food for thought! Numbers really don't mean anything!! Just a damn nice deer
Every deer can have the ‘what if?’ principle applied to it, even world records. Only 4 circumference measurements are taken per side, no matter how many points the rack has.

·
Under appreciated
91,832 Posts
Imagine if some writer said that the previous record was the largest typical to ever walk the earth in Pennsylvania.

:D :D

Reactions: thwackaddict

·
Registered
243 Posts
Would like to know more how that deer could be kept a secret so long...did the guy not have any friends, did he keep it in the attic.......
I truly think some people could care less. My uncle has one that could easily be a MN record (maybe not #1, but definitely in the books) that really only the family knows about. I couldn't even tell you if he still has it but I'd hope it's sitting in the garage and not tossed out.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,037 Posts
Would like to know more how that deer could be kept a secret so long...did the guy not have any friends, did he keep it in the attic.......
Believe it or not, there are people out there who kill deer, and also don't give a F about stuff like record books.....

Someone can kill a big buck, hang it in their house, and not many get to see it. :D

·
Super Moderator
25,601 Posts
I truly think some people could care less. My uncle has one that could easily be a MN record (maybe not #1, but definitely in the books) that really only the family knows about. I couldn't even tell you if he still has it but I'd hope it's sitting in the garage and not tossed out.
I get that, if it means so little to him, couldn't you likely borrow it f or a week to get it scored?? If you think it could push the Breen buck, why not let him know he could have a couple $10,000 just wasting in the garage??

·
Super Moderator
25,601 Posts
Believe it or not, there are people out there who kill deer, and also don't give a F about stuff like record books.....

Someone can kill a big buck, hang it in their house, and not many get to see it. :D
if they are going to hang it their house they give a just a bit of thoughts about trophies! I totally understand that back in the 60's there we likely not many trophy hunters, but these days, if any of his kids, grandkids or anyone hunted they likely realize the sheer size of grandpas kill and maybe talk it up, which is likely how it was uncovered anyways....

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,037 Posts
if they are going to hang it their house they give a just a bit of thoughts about trophies! I totally understand that back in the 60's there we likely not many trophy hunters, but these days, if any of his kids, grandkids or anyone hunted they likely realize the sheer size of grandpas kill and maybe talk it up, which is likely how it was uncovered anyways....
I will probably never kill a buck like that, but if I do.... It'll get hung in my basement with my other scrubs, and it won't get measured until I am dead at earliest. You may, or may not believe that, but that's probably what I'd do. It's a good deer, that's all. :D

·
Super Moderator
25,601 Posts
I will probably never kill a buck like that, but if I do.... It'll get hung in my basement with my other scrubs, and it won't get measured until I am dead at earliest. You may, or may not believe that, but that's probably what I'd do. It's a good deer, that's all. :D
I believe ya, you kill a potential state record and you are just going to hang it in your basement.....seems plausible!

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,037 Posts
I believe ya, you kill a potential state record and you are just going to hang it in your basement.....seems plausible!
Well, I will post a pic of it in the trout forecast thread, if that makes you feel better.... :D

·
Part-time malcontent
7,945 Posts

·
14,445 Posts
back in around 1978ish, I just starrted bow hunting, had a big buck around where I hunted, saw it a couple times, One evening I blind rattled and it came in, tore up a tree and stood behind some saplings until it got dark. Then he walked out about 15 yards from me but all I could see was the white of the antlers when he turned his head. 2 days later opening day of rifle season, the landowner and several other guys(party hunting) walked the canyon out. Landowner shot a decent 8 and right behind this 8 out come the big buck and another guy shot it.
Both racks were in the Wichita paper, one rack inside the other, Bruce Harper was the outdoor writer at the time, He explained the difference of a nice buck and a huge buck, probably back then never even thought to tscore it.
The guy that shot it hung the rack up in his barn. he was renting the place. When he moved out the antlers were still there but The landowner said between the time the guy moved and he sold the property the antlers disapeared
I have seen some big deer since then but not that big.....

the landowner has a gross 202 hanging above his fireplace..

·
Under appreciated
91,832 Posts
Well, I will post a pic of it in the trout forecast thread, if that makes you feel better.... :D
Actually, I wouldn’t tell anyone if I were you. Some people are so antler-ate that you might get your house broken into.
Crazy but true.

·
Under appreciated
91,832 Posts
with the internet age, they couldn't do much with them, and would likely be recovered fast. But ya, it would suck!
The stupid thing about doing that is the thief would ultimately want to brag about it and word would get out.

Its happened I’m sure.

Reactions: 20'

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,037 Posts
with the internet age, they couldn't do much with them, and would likely be recovered fast. But ya, it would suck!
This is to protect them, I would hate to have to shoot someone over some horns😎

1 - 20 of 24 Posts