Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as you can tell by my title, I am a newbie to the site. I have been lurking for awhile and decided to say hi. Also I just got my first bow last spring, it was hoyt powerhawk. And was wondering if you would give a newbie any tips, on how to hold the bow steadier when i have it drew back?

·
Grrrrrrr
29,979 Posts
There are some excellent shooters on this forum and they may contradict what I say but a few tips as a place to start:

I assume you aren't shooting a draw weight that's too heavy for you and that your bow isn't too long or too short in draw length.

It isn't necessary to be able to hold the pin perfectly still on the target. For me my pin hovers gently around the spot I've picked and I time my release to put the arrow where I want it if that makes sense. I'm not talking about a lot of movement...very little in fact but if you are trying to hit a freckle at 20 yards you aren't going to be able to hold your pin on that freckle if ya know what I mean. If you are experiencing excessive movement and your bow fits you correctly try loosening your grip on the bow, relaxing your stance so that you are standing solidly using bone structure to hold your posture rather than muscle tension, and make sure you are using back tension from the back of your shoulder (the shoulder blade area) to hold your bow at full draw rather than using your forearm and bicep.

Does all of that make sense? If not you need to get together with an experienced archer and have them watch you shoot. If there is a bow shop in your area, the guys working there should be able to help you if you don't have anyone else nearby.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
[rquote=1487665&tid=103928&author=chillicothe#1]Thank you very much that makes alot of sense. I love to go out and shoot, i just wish I could consistenly hit what I am aiming at. [/rquote]

I think you just need to spend some time with someone that knows what they are doing. 10 minutes with the right person will beat probably anything someone can tell you via the forum, although I'm sure you can still pick up some good pointers.

Welcome to the site. Glad to have you.

·
Registered
750 Posts
WELCOME!!!!!!!!!

I would make sure everything is tuned correctly, by paper tuning or walkback tuning. Both can work IMO. Once you are confident that all is tuned, practice, practice, practice. One thing I like to remember is quality of practice is more important that quantity. Make every shot count and when you get tired quit. After some time you will notice a difference. 3d shoots are a great place to practice during the summer. Hope this helps and again glad your here.:cheers:

·
Baller, shot caller
11,063 Posts
There are a number of things that would cause excessive pin movement while at full draw. Draw length too long/short, too much holding weight, poor form. If you'd post up a pic of yourself at full draw, I could probably help ya some.

The main thing to realize is that you'll never hold the pin exactly still. Trying to do that generally leads to target panic or "drive by shooting" where you hammer the trigger when the pin is on the spot. And believe me, target panic is not a road you want to go down. It's best to just let the pin float and focus on where you are aiming. The pin is secondary, always focus on the spot.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Good advise . A bow has to be properly fitted to an archer to achieve proper form . Many new archers are over bowed , shooting a draw weight too heavy . Incorrect draw length is the culprit of poor shooting form as well.
I'm not sure where you are located , but I would suggest finding a good proshop or a good mentor that can study your setup and your shooting form .
A good stabilizer can help steady your aim , assuming your bow setup is correct for you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all very much. I think my bow is setup properly to me. I feel I am not over extended when drawing back. I am a bigger guy so 60 lbs I dont think is to much. I think I am going to go over to Parks Outdoors in Brookfield and see if I can get Jeff to help me out some. My next question is how do you paper tune your bow?

·
17,674 Posts
One thing from me that is different than what everyone else has said.

Imagine your arms, shoulders, and back are like one long board. When you move your pin to place it on the target don't just move your arms. Move the whole "board". Use all of the these muscles to keep your bow steady. Learning to use your back to hold your bow at full draw will allow you to be more steady on target. This, along with a properly tuned bow and with constant practice should enable you to be the best shooter you can be.:wave:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
[rquote=1487770&tid=103928&author=hun10]One thing from me that is different than what everyone else has said.

Imagine your arms, shoulders, and back are like one long board. When you move your pin to place it on the target don't just move your arms. Move the whole "board". Use all of the these muscles to keep your bow steady. Learning to use your back to hold your bow at full draw will allow you to be more steady on target. This, along with a properly tuned bow and with constant practice should enable you to be the best shooter you can be.:wave:[/rquote]

Good point . I like to focus on back tension and maintaining that "T" shape form with the bow arm and draw arm in line , while making slight adjustments up or down with my torso . This works especially well out of a treestand by bending at the waist to maintain proper form and anchor point.

·
Registered
307 Posts
[rquote=1487766&tid=103928&author=chillicothe#1]Thank you all very much. I think my bow is setup properly to me. I feel I am not over extended when drawing back. I am a bigger guy so 60 lbs I dont think is to much. I think I am going to go over to Parks Outdoors in Brookfield and see if I can get Jeff to help me out some. My next question is how do you paper tune your bow?[/rquote]

Try the Easton Tuning Guide, here is a link

http://www.archery-engineering.co.za/archeryPDFFiles/Easton_tuning_guide.pdf

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.