Newbie bow hunter here.

Discussion in 'Archery Hunting' started by theplastikjesus, Oct 29, 2010.

1. theplastikjesus

theplastikjesus New Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Hello, I am a newbie bow hunter getting started just now at age 32. My father lives in New Mexico, he recently sent me his old bow which is an entry level compound made by PSE. He ended up buying a Martin Warthog Mag. I guess, I'm needing some pointers or maybe some links to possible websites to get started here. Any help would be appreciated as I have never shot a compound bow, just a long bow back in high school.

Thank you in advance for any advice for a newb.

2. theplastikjesus

Oct 29, 2010
    Looked into a local archery shop here in town, they have a indoor range there I guess it's a good place to start and ask for advice, bow setup, and proper shooting technique?

3. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    [rquote=1869135&tid=130114&author=theplastikjesus]Looked into a local archery shop here in town, they have a indoor range there I guess it's a good place to start and ask for advice, bow setup, and proper shooting technique?[/rquote]

Thats some good advice you just gave yourself. Have the shop check out the bow and make sure it fits you.....Then get with some other shooters and shoot with them....ask questions and lots of em, you will find most people will be more than happy to help out a new shooter. It's a whole new world out there, WELCOME :2thumbsup:

4. mag1

mag1 New Member

Post some of your questions on here, Im sure someone might be able to help with answers. Try www.archerytalk.com or www.3dshoots.com the posters on there give free advice so take it for what its worth, but you can learn a few things and there is links to other archery websites that may be helpful. :welcome: to the world of archery.

5. theplastikjesus

Oct 29, 2010
    Thanks for the replies, I have been thumbing through the web trying to find any videos on proper technique, found a couple vids on the old youtube which where pretty detailed.
    I just want to make sure I'm doing things safely and got a decent grasp on what I'm doing before I go out and just jump into my first hunt.

6. brad7623

brad7623 Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Arnold
    It's not to hard to get the hang of the bow this is my second year with a compound bow. First make sure you get your draw length measured, Any sporting good/bow shop can help you there. Then like you mentioned go to the range and practice practice to get to shooting your comfortable distances and making sure your bow is tuned in right to you.

7. theplastikjesus

Oct 29, 2010
    The local archery shop here charges 4.50$ an hour to shoot in their range, so I can get in an hour and a half at least before work during the week. I'll post pictures of the setup I have when I can find my USB cable to upload pics.

It seems like a really good entry level bow, the draw on it has to be reduced for sure for now until I get used to shooting.

Any recommendations on what I should start out with? I think dad said he had it set somewhere around 65-67.

Uploaded pic PSE-Fitzgerald.

[file]143888[/file]

8. brad7623

brad7623 Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Arnold
    just keep it where your comfortable at where you dont have to point the bow up in the air to pull it back. You should be able to pull it straight back without issues. So whatever weight that is for you

9. Radar

Radar Active Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Liberty , Mo.
    Make sure you have a pro shop set your draw length . Correct draw length is the key to good shooting form .

10. Hannibal Bowhunter

Hannibal Bowhunter Active Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Hannibal, MO
    Good luck...and Welcome!:claphands:

11. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I would recommend picking up the book Core Archery by Larry Wise. It's very easy to read and helps with proper bow techniques.

12. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Looks like a good setup to begin hunting. If you dont mind me asking where are you located, cause there is a pro-shop 1/2 mile down the road from me that sounds like the one you are describing. I'll charge you a whole lot less than 4.50 per hour if you want to get started shooting.

13. theplastikjesus

Oct 29, 2010
    [rquote=1869248&tid=130114&author=MellerAM]Looks like a good setup to begin hunting. If you dont mind me asking where are you located, cause there is a pro-shop 1/2 mile down the road from me that sounds like the one you are describing. I'll charge you a whole lot less than 4.50 per hour if you want to get started shooting.[/rquote]

I'm in St.Joseph, and thank you all for the responses to my post.