New trap prep?

Discussion in 'Trapping/Furbearing' started by remington2225, Oct 10, 2017.

1. remington2225

remington2225 Member

Aug 16, 2014
    So I bought a half of dozen mb550 for coyote and bobcat. I seen where some are spray painting their traps instead of dyeing. What do people recommend? Should I just clean oil off and set nov 15th or could I clean them and spray paint them before the season and be good?
    Thanks

2. trappermark

trappermark Member

Nov 14, 2004
    I would never spray paint a trap. Simmer in a lye solution to remove grease and oil. Leave out in the weather till they get a light coat of rust. Then simmer in a log wood dye solution then wax

3. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    Go to Trapperman.com and look it up. You'll find people do both methods. Lots of good stuff on the website.

4. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Ok I have not Trapped for over 40 years. Throw my New Traps in grass leave them lay until they rusted. Then take Walnut Hulls, boil them in water, put Traps in until they took dye, then melt Bees Wax in it, pull Traps in and out few times then hang until I used them.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin could be a Hunter.

WBF likes this.
  5. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    The only traps that I'm somewhat meticulous with are traps for coyotes and fox.

I would recommend taking your new traps and spraying them with vinegar. This will help them rust up nicely and fairly quickly. Once they have a nice layer of rust on them---take some oak chips (green) and boil them in water . I use a fairly sized caldron with a fire set under it. Wash the traps off (removing the vinegar) and place the traps in the oak/water/mixture. Traps, Chains, and all.... while the traps are being treated in the cauldron, get your paraffin wax melted in a container big enough that you can dip the trap down into. You want to be able to coat the traps to speed them up. Just make sure to remove all wax on the portion of the trap that will come in contact with the animal. This is pretty much it. The only time I bother with repeating the process entirely during season is the on traps used for coyote and fox.......

6. yankee

yankee Senior Member

I boil my k9 in lye or sani flush usually wait till I get a good boil going and add a bottle of sani flush to the water.. it floats all the old wax etc off the traps.. I do not paint except conibear dog proof etc etc

I die and wax.. its a bit more work but als more productive when wax blows through the frozen ground