Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
2 years ago for Christmas, I received a muzzleloader. I have always wanted to try this method of hunting out (have been bow and rifle hunting for years). Having our second child and moving has happened since then, so my time has been pretty much ate up...haven't had a whole lot of opportunity to mess around...until now.

I have never even been around someone shooting a muzzleloader...yet alone shot one myself. Does anyone know where a guy could go and have someone show him the ins and outs of loading and shooting a muzzleloader? I have been/am the type to jump right in and try stuff myself but when it comes to weapons, I want to be fully aware of everything before I try it myself.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure about Missouri, but here in Michigan there are several Department Of Natural Resources ranges with rangers on staff -- plus there are usually a couple of muzzleloader shooters at one of the designated/individual distance stalls - that wil gladly tutor you.... I'm sure!;)

·
Former Chicken Man
20,331 Posts
I'm sure someone on here will take you shooting and show you. If I knew enough I'd help you.
Do you have a place to shoot? If not, when you find a teacher you could shoot it here in my back yard. :wave:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was wonderin

I was wonderin if the MDC had some type of training at one of the ranges around here...guess I need to do some checking. And thanks for the offer of a place to shoot...I can step out my front door and start blasting away! Just need to know how (with a smokepole)...

·
Registered
754 Posts
Originally posted by brownanddown
I was wonderin if the MDC had some type of training at one of the ranges around here...guess I need to do some checking. And thanks for the offer of a place to shoot...I can step out my front door and start blasting away! Just need to know how (with a smokepole)...
The MDC had a special program this past weekend at Busch WA that featured a muzzleloader workshop. You might want to give them a call and see when the next one is.

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
really not to tough pop a couple of caps through it to get the oil out of it,pour 90 grains of blackpowder or pyrodex in.shake the barrel a little to settle it.put your bullet in good and tight.mark your ramrod,so you will have a guide to where your smokepole is when fully loaded for the next shot.put a cap on and blow some smoke.keep playing till you find what your gun likes on powder measurements.if you were closer we could shoot some. have fun

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
NRA Basic Muzzle Loading Rifle Certification
August A. Busch Memorial Conservation Area Shooting Range and Outdoor Education Center, St. Charles
Thursday, September 14 - Sunday, September 17
6pm to 9pmThursday night in classroom, 8am to 3pm Sunday at Shooting Range
Basic Muzzleloader Shooting, open ages 8 and above, youth under 16 must attend with adult. Participants must attend classroom portion to shoot. Just got that new muzzleloader and feeling a little intimidated by all the powders, bullets, equipment, etc. or just wanting to know more about muzzle loaders? This program covers safety, handling, types, powders, bullets, equipment, marksmanship fundamentals and more. The Range will provide all firearms and ammunition for those without equipment. Participants however should bring their own firearms, ammunition, equipment, and owner’s manual to the course if they have them. All courses are limited in size and require pre-registration at (636) 441-4554. REGISTRATIONS BEGIN: July 28th.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info...just found that as well. There is one a little closer to me down here off of 44 and Antire Rd in 2 weekends...I have plans for that day already.

St. Chuck would be a hike for me...but beggars can't be choosers, right? If I don't have a local individual offer to lend a hand, I'll prolly bite the bullet and go up to Busch.

Would have been nice to still be living up in Winfield...but now I have a place to hunt! It is a fair trade off...:)

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
I'm no muzzle loading expert, and I'm better than an hour away from Franklin COunty, but I'd shoot some with you if you'd rather do that than the training class thing. What kind of muzzle loader did you get? Do you have any supplies to go with it yet??

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Gamegetter
I'm no muzzle loading expert, and I'm better than an hour away from Franklin COunty, but I'd shoot some with you if you'd rather do that than the training class thing. What kind of muzzle loader did you get? Do you have any supplies to go with it yet??
It is a NEF break open. Composite stock, stainless. Fiber optic sight (no scope). Where you from, Gamegetter? Oh, and I don't really have much in the way of accesories...

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
I'm from near Jeff City. I've got the accessories to take care of us, plenty of powder and enough bullets to last a while. I'm surprised none of our resident muzzleloading experts have chimed in with suggestions, although coyotehunters instructions covered things fairly well.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I'm from the Sullivan area...so we ain't too far from eachother. The trick for me is gonna be finding a weekend that works...you know how it goes. Check the other thread from Nicolas too...looks like a small gathering may be brewing...stay tuned.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Check with MRB, but I think it would be OK to bring it to the MWT gathering in September. There will be plenty of people there with enough advice and experience to help out.:cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.