New to the forum and predator hunting

Discussion in 'Predators' started by Hillbillyhunter, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Hillbillyhunter

Hillbillyhunter New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    I'm new to the forum and to predator hunting. Live and hunt around Rolla-Salem area and would like suggestions on how to get started hunting predators here. Don't have a lot of of wide open places. Can you hunt out of tree stands for coyotes? Do fox and bobcat come in to calls, too? What dvds do you recommend? Thanks for any info you can give or point me to.

2. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    Welcome to the forum !

I can't help much on the coyote hunting, but many others on here will be able to.

3. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    I am useless about the help! Welcome to our group! Glad that you have joined us!

4. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    I wouldn't say useless...tell him the roof story !

5. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    LOL Well that was ..... get ya a 2 story house, and.....nevermind!

6. Chase635

Chase635 New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Welcome to the forum. I would think treestand hunting for varmits would not be to good i would say get a caller and setup and call for about 30 mins then move to a new location.

I am in the rolla area and can point out some good public ground to hunt coyotes on.

7. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    frist off welcome....next prepare to be addicted i grew up down in houston so i know they ty[e of area you will be hunting its a different game for sure but still totally do able.

one thing that will really help you out if if you can find some one to hunt with when calling in the brush it is a huge help to have a buddy and sit back to back it will incresses you kill rate alot.
    next tip for get the rifle and carry a shotgun with some #4 buck for yotes.

yotes come fast if they come i very seldome sit more than 20 mins in a spot for yotes and most times very seldom call any in after 10 mins usually if they come its almost at a run in the first five. now foxes and cats can take up to 30 lost of time they will sneak in and you might even see them sitting just looking at you. it totally two differnt types of calling.

you will find there is a good amout of calling that goes on down there so there are seveal educated animals you might have more success with "odd" sound somthing other than just the old rabbit in destress every one has that sound.
    alos mornings are best i like cold frozen ground with out snow you can see better in the snow but seems for some reason i have better luck with just cold frozen ground.

for yotes i usually start with a howl or fight sounds i do this just to wake them up just for a few seconds then i will go to what ever distress sound i am using i will pay it some times for a couple mins and then stop and give a few mins of scilence and start again or i may play it and not stop for 5 mins. at the end i always set in silence for a few mins just watching.

now for cats or foxes NO fight or howls you do that and they will not come they don't like the sounds of yotes. start out quitely with your sounds incase you have one close then work your sounds louder to get more distance.

use the wind just like if your are deer hunting yotes can smell really good don't over look this they will try and circle down wind and come in so use scent control and don't over look camo everywere just like turkey hunting face mask and all. if you move they will see you too so sit still alot of new callers don't realize how smart these animals are for cats they don't smell but are visual a good trick is take a featther to squairl tail and hang it a few feet off the ground away from you to give them somthing to look at.
    i like hand calls but some are tough to use honestly i am just gettign started with them but they are very useful
    electronic calls are a good tool you can sit the speker away from you to not draw the aninmal to look at you.

i could go on and on but this is a start. and don't expect to much its a blast when it works but if you call one in every 5 sets your haveing a good day.

8. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    HF3, might know a thing or two to tell ya!!:rotfl:

9. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    :bangin: no one has ever called me shy i assure you:rotfl:

10. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of good people here that can help but beware of cfrazee as she will have ya huntin without bullets! LOL:toilet::peepwall:

11. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Oh please we all know that half of the men out there are hunting without bullets as it is! You cannot blame that all on me!!!

12. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Welcome to MissouriWhitetails.com! :wave:

13. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    welcome aobard :cheers:

14. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    huntforfunnfood gave ya some great advice. i think the most important thing in callin predator is you set up and camo. you can have the most realistic calls in the world but if a yote sees ya 300 yards away he aint gonna get closer more than likey bolt into the woods.
    my favortie set up is on a hill over looking a field. conseal your self well you can stick out like a sore thumb up on the hills. the last yote i killed came running in only about 2 minutes of callin! i was still in the middle of the call when he showed up! dont think they are gonna show up where you expect, most of the time they come from wierd places. like one time i called in a yote i was thinking he was gonna come from the trial but he came from behind me! be prepared to get addicted, heck im goin out this evening with my bow. im huntin out of a blind that i made from deer huntin.any dvds work
    good luck! and kill one, then another, then another! then get one more!