Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of getting a muzzleloader( T/C Pro Hunter), and I was wondering if you guys had any tips for me since i'm new to muzzleloaders. I also have a few questions on primers, powders, and bullets.

Which powder should i use? I am thinking of 777 magnum pellets. Link

Which primers should i use? I'm thinking of of using the ones that T/C makes. Link

Which bullets/sabots should I use? I'm thinking of using Hornady Low Drag Sabots. Link

I'll post some pics when the gun comes in.

·
Registered
38,389 Posts
Try those you listed, see how your gun shoots...It might like that load, it might not. You'll have to experiment and see what your gun likes!!! I use 777 pellets (3), whatever 209 primers I have on hand...not sure what they are, and Hornady 250 gr SST sabots in my knight.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,684 Posts
I prefer loose powder over pellets. 777. Allows you to tune your gun a little better. I shoot 85 grain loose 777 with 250 grain shockwaves out of my TC omega with excellent results.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Mailman
Curious....why did you choose the magnum 777?
the reviews seemed to be better for these on cabela's website. I'll try the regular 777 pellets and see how they work.

what about cleaning the gun, will i have to clean it after every shot?

Thanks for the info guys, i can't wait till i get my new gun. I'm just waiting on my uncle (he's a gun dealer) to find the best deal.

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
I've found with my Remington Genesis and shooting 2 triple 7 pellets that I don't need to clean between each shot. But I'm sure everyone has a different take on this. Reason I haven't is that I've found the 250gr shockwaves still load quite easily even after 4-5 shots and still get good ignition.

Are you going to get the stainless barrel? I would highly advise it. Makes for cleaning/resistance to corrosion a lot better than a blue barrel.

·
Registered
38,389 Posts
Originally posted by Mule
Doesn't anybody shoot Black Powder anymore??????
Real Black Powder is hard to find in these parts, these days!!! I do have some 3F that I use in me 50cal pistola. The substitutes are just easier to find!:cheers:

Steven, no, you don't need to clean it after every shot, if you are at the range practicing or sighting in...I do clean mine when I get home from an outing like that, or if I shoot a deer. I leave mine loaded during the season, lays in the backseat of me truck, sometimes thru all 3 seasons.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Muzzle loader shooting is fun but the clean up is not, if your gonna shoot em you gotta clean em. I haven't used solvent in years & shoot 777 & pyrodex both in pellet form. My clean up consists of hot water & rubbing alcohol & lots of patches.

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
Will only shoot Goex Black Poweder here. Ill give up shooting muzzle loaders should i not be able to get black powder any longer.

Steven- unless you plan on doing alot fo target practice wiht your hunting laods; which will get exspansive. Id sugest picking up some roundballs and some lose powder to practice wiht. It will break in the barel and let you get to know your gun economically. WHo knows u might like the patched round ball enouf you will make it your hunting load. Like some of us have.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Here is the EXACT and correct answer to the original question... :rof2: (Steven, I'm just kidding but I'll offer some suggestions.)

Powder - Blackhorn209 100 to 110 grains by volume , get a 1/4" drill bit and some good solvent such as Hoppe's

Bullets - most any good bullet in the 250 to 300 grain weight range. Could be anything from XTPs or Gold Dots to Parker Ballistic Extreme (the Parkers are expensive but lots of folks are swearing by them both for target and game performance) Buy bullets in BULK if at all possible.

Sabots - that rifle probably has a tight bore so I would suggest the Harvester Short Black or Crushed rib bought in bulk and in the correct config for your bullet choice.

Primers - Win209A, Fed209A, Cheddite 209 - to heck with those especially made for muzzleloading, you just pay more for less. Buy primers in 1000 packs to get better pricing. TC makes no primers, they just charge more for whatever it is packaged under their name.

Buy a good range rod with a nice handle. Buy lots of (or make lots of) patches for cleaning (2"-3" cut), buy a good lube such as Breakfree CLP or Remoil for storage/metal protection. Do not buy Bore Butter. Buy a cleaning brush set. Buy a good powder measure such as the TC. Buy a powder bottle cap with a built in funnel top. You will probably want some capped tubes for carrying a few pre-measured charges while hunting or to the range.

Lots of little things - a patch jag/worm, a jag for loading to fit your chosen bullet...

Lots of guys here willing to help you with any questions you might have. Hope you get a great rifle with an excellent trigger (CHECK that trigger before you walk out of the store if possible).

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Originally posted by Longbow26
Will only shoot Goex Black Poweder here. Ill give up shooting muzzle loaders should i not be able to get black powder any longer.

Steven- unless you plan on doing alot fo target practice wiht your hunting laods; which will get exspansive. Id sugest picking up some roundballs and some lose powder to practice wiht. It will break in the barel and let you get to know your gun economically. WHo knows u might like the patched round ball enouf you will make it your hunting load. Like some of us have.
I personally think that you should practice with what your going to hunt with. So if you practice with loose powder then hunt with loosepowder, etc. Differnt bullets or powder being differnt (loose or pellets) will make a differnce in accuracy to. If you shoot balls in practice but then go out and shoot a differnt ball or non-ball bullets u wont get consistency. So buying a good bullet in bulk is a smarter Idea to save urself money.

·
19,117 Posts
my encore shoots nice with 110grains of loose triple se7en and a 300gr xtp mag bought in bulk, i love the combo and it has not let me down in performance, like other slugs have, i have recently converted to shooting 3f powder, it produces about 240fps faster muzzle velocity, with the same 110gr charge, although i was just given for christmas 6lbs of 2f triple se7en, so now it's back to 2f powder for a while, lots of help here in this forum, any questions, just ask

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Originally posted by Underclocked
Here is the EXACT and correct answer to the original question... :rof2: (Steven, I'm just kidding but I'll offer some suggestions.)

Powder - Blackhorn209 100 to 110 grains by volume , get a 1/4" drill bit and some good solvent such as Hoppe's

Bullets - most any good bullet in the 250 to 300 grain weight range. Could be anything from XTPs or Gold Dots to Parker Ballistic Extreme (the Parkers are expensive but lots of folks are swearing by them both for target and game performance) Buy bullets in BULK if at all possible.

Sabots - that rifle probably has a tight bore so I would suggest the Harvester Short Black or Crushed rib bought in bulk and in the correct config for your bullet choice.

Primers - Win209A, Fed209A, Cheddite 209 - to heck with those especially made for muzzleloading, you just pay more for less. Buy primers in 1000 packs to get better pricing. TC makes no primers, they just charge more for whatever it is packaged under their name.

Buy a good range rod with a nice handle. Buy lots of (or make lots of) patches for cleaning (2"-3" cut), buy a good lube such as Breakfree CLP or Remoil for storage/metal protection. Do not buy Bore Butter. Buy a cleaning brush set. Buy a good powder measure such as the TC. Buy a powder bottle cap with a built in funnel top. You will probably want some capped tubes for carrying a few pre-measured charges while hunting or to the range.

Lots of little things - a patch jag/worm, a jag for loading to fit your chosen bullet...

Lots of guys here willing to help you with any questions you might have. Hope you get a great rifle with an excellent trigger (CHECK that trigger before you walk out of the store if possible).
GREAT post UC!

Steven - I use 777 pellets. I agree that powder will let you fine tune more, but pellets are clean and convenient, and much easier. I give up a little there. I also use 777 primers (cause that's what they carry at WW). Clean after every shot? I don't - I will run a patch after every shot, clean good when I get home.

I have good luck with the PowerBelts myself - 295 hollow points. My gun would NOT shoot the aerotips for some reason in 245. Shot the HP's perfect though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts