Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

New to MO, need help w/ strategy

650 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Rebel2 
#1 ·
Hy Guys.

I am new to MO. I have never hunted the terrain that I am going to be hunting now. Rolling hills and pasture. I have heard lots of birds, but I dont know the best way to hunt them. Picture a big cattle pasture with small fingers of wood that backs up to a larger area of woods. The way I go in, I have to cross the big pasture to get to the large area of woods, or I can go behing the large area of woods and come in from the back side. Any tips on how to hunt the birds that are roosted in the woods?

Thanks

#2 ·
Go into the feild in the cover of night and set up on the edge of the field somewhere close to where you hear early gobbling or know they're roosting... that's what I'd do anyways.

#4 ·
Good advice above...also, on a daytime sneak, USE THE ROLLING TERRAIN, in your favor....it might take you alot more time to get where you're going, but it'll pay off when those birds don't see ya comin!!!

#5 ·
I agree with all of the above posts. When you get set up before daylight, just wait for the toms to start gobbling and then maybe try to move in closer to the closest one before you start calling. After daylight, I wouldnt cross one of them fields unless absolutely necessary to get to a hot bird. When you leave for the day, I'd go out the back through the woods. IMO every time a tom sees a human, whether they flat out bust you or just see you walking across a field, they get harder to work and call.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.