new setup........no deer

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by thefraznkc, Nov 6, 2010.

1. thefraznkc

thefraznkc New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Independence
    Bought a new stand on thrusday got it hung up yesterday around 1. Hunted last night now I'm back in it this morning. Haven't seen a single deer! Nothing but these darn tree rats. Man I hate them. This spot looks like it should be a good one. 3 major trails and several scrapes. Plan on sitting most of the day.

2. boatcaptain

boatcaptain Active Member

May 31, 2010
    ELM TREE MO
    Stay put and they will come. They are really moving on my place. Good luck hope you get a shot.:D

3. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Mar 1, 2005
    St. Peters, MO
    You can either sit there day after day and eventually they will come OR after a couple days you can up and move to a better spot they're using now.

Especially during the prime hunting, my new spots normally produce the 1st day I hunt them but certainly within the first 3 times. I'm not going to wait any longer than that unless I think the weather or moon is goofing it up.

4. thefraznkc

thefraznkc New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Independence
    Good idea. Still haven't seen anything!:confused:

5. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Mar 1, 2005
    St. Peters, MO
    I don't think the deer were moving very much thursday because of the wind (depending on the terrain). Friday morning would have been the time to hunt so perhaps friday evening wasn't as good.

2 mornings, 2 evenings...then a decision has to be made. Do you have another spot in mind?

I had a great little spot a few years ago on public land (muzzleloader only) very similar to your setup. I thought : this is going to be perfect; people are going to run them right down to me. Sat there 2 days and never saw a deer. I tried a new spot the 3rd day and killed a little buck.