Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this on an email from buckmasters.....pretty neat little trick:

Get a Glade Wisp or an Oust Fan air freshener (both use batteries). Be sure to wash and soak the container that holds the liquid really well to get the perfume smell out. When you have washed it out, fill with doe-in-heat and set on a stump or place of your choice. The Glade Wisp puffs the scent out every few seconds, and the Oust Fan has a 15 minute timer on it to where it blows every 15 minutes and shuts off. Both last up to 60 days, and I have found that this works really well. Each costs around $7.

:cheers:

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
now thats is a good tip

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
DAng it I hate it when some one comes up with a simple idea like that and it wasn't ME !! :bangin:

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Very good idea!
Thanks for sharing!
:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
70,355 Posts
This idea came up last year and I actually tried it. It really took a lot of doing to get that perfume smell out of the wick. I even emailed the Johnson Co. about the possibility of buying a few wicks without the perfume. They said.....NO DEAL. It seemed to work fairly well as spreading out the sent but I never had any "Proof" of a deer coming in to the scent. It won't hurt to use it tho. I'm planning on using mine again next September. I'm surprised that someone hasn't actually came out with a camo version and charge $20 for it. Wait and see.....someone will.

·
Under appreciated
91,805 Posts
Originally posted by Mailman
This idea came up last year and I actually tried it. It really took a lot of doing to get that perfume smell out of the wick. I even emailed the Johnson Co. about the possibility of buying a few wicks without the perfume. They said.....NO DEAL. It seemed to work fairly well as spreading out the sent but I never had any "Proof" of a deer coming in to the scent. It won't hurt to use it tho. I'm planning on using mine again next September. I'm surprised that someone hasn't actually came out with a camo version and charge $20 for it. Wait and see.....someone will.
Mailman.. I'm surprised that you would not develop this on your own! Now, your secret is out.

Wonder if vinegar or something else would get that perfume smell out. What did you use to de-scent the deals you used?

·
Registered
70,355 Posts
Rat, I tried everything that I could think of and it still left just a trace of perfume on the wick. After I soaked the wick in Tinks 69 doe in heat most of it went away. Word to the wise.....if you guys ever use skunk scent .....DO NOT .....drop the glass bottle in your father in laws garage. Hmmmm?? Maybe that is why he is now my ex father in law??

·
Under appreciated
91,805 Posts
Originally posted by Mailman
Rat, I tried everything that I could think of and it still left just a trace of perfume on the wick. After I soaked the wick in Tinks 69 doe in heat most of it went away. Word to the wise.....if you guys ever use skunk scent .....DO NOT .....drop the glass bottle in your father in laws garage. Hmmmm?? Maybe that is why he is now my ex father in law??
I'm not familiar with this air freshener but can you take the wick out and replace with something else that is scent-neutral you might have around the house??

·
Registered
70,355 Posts
No way. The wick is a porous plastic and absorbs the perfume like mad. It is sort of like the material that your gas filter on your car is made but plastic. It is glued onto the cap that screws onto the small bottle that snaps inside the housing that holds tha fan and battery. Someone suggested on using one those female items that performs a wicking action and stick that into the bottle. I refuse to even try that. You can if you want to Rat. Let me know if it works.

·
Under appreciated
91,805 Posts
Oh.. ok. Maybe I'll try that if I can sneak one out of wifeys bathroom!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.