New Scent Trick!

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by MUHunter, Feb 23, 2006.

1. MUHunter

MUHunter New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NE MO
    Just got this on an email from buckmasters.....pretty neat little trick:

Get a Glade Wisp or an Oust Fan air freshener (both use batteries). Be sure to wash and soak the container that holds the liquid really well to get the perfume smell out. When you have washed it out, fill with doe-in-heat and set on a stump or place of your choice. The Glade Wisp puffs the scent out every few seconds, and the Oust Fan has a 15 minute timer on it to where it blows every 15 minutes and shuts off. Both last up to 60 days, and I have found that this works really well. Each costs around $7.

2. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo

3. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    DAng it I hate it when some one comes up with a simple idea like that and it wasn't ME !! :bangin:
  4. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Boy no kiddin that's awsome. :cheers:
  5. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
  6. Chase635

Chase635 New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Good idea! Someone is gonna get rich off of that idea!
  7. stinkpickle

stinkpickle New Member

Dec 7, 2004
    It works great, but now my house smells funky...;)
  8. 8 point

8 point New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    SW MO
    Thats a good one: someones is out there thinking! Well done gota give that a try Thanks 8 point.:cheers:
  9. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Very good idea!
    Thanks for sharing!
  10. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
  11. Kickers288

Kickers288 Active Member

why didnt i thnk of that!!!:bangin::bangin::bangin: great idea!!:cheers:
  12. Lynette

Lynette Member

Oct 18, 2005
  13. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    This idea came up last year and I actually tried it. It really took a lot of doing to get that perfume smell out of the wick. I even emailed the Johnson Co. about the possibility of buying a few wicks without the perfume. They said.....NO DEAL. It seemed to work fairly well as spreading out the sent but I never had any "Proof" of a deer coming in to the scent. It won't hurt to use it tho. I'm planning on using mine again next September. I'm surprised that someone hasn't actually came out with a camo version and charge $20 for it. Wait and see.....someone will.
  14. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Mailman.. I'm surprised that you would not develop this on your own! Now, your secret is out.

Wonder if vinegar or something else would get that perfume smell out. What did you use to de-scent the deals you used?
  15. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

Me too Steve. There's so many things we could have easily thought of, but never did. :wave:
  16. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Rat, I tried everything that I could think of and it still left just a trace of perfume on the wick. After I soaked the wick in Tinks 69 doe in heat most of it went away. Word to the wise.....if you guys ever use skunk scent .....DO NOT .....drop the glass bottle in your father in laws garage. Hmmmm?? Maybe that is why he is now my ex father in law??
  17. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I'm not familiar with this air freshener but can you take the wick out and replace with something else that is scent-neutral you might have around the house??
  18. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    No way. The wick is a porous plastic and absorbs the perfume like mad. It is sort of like the material that your gas filter on your car is made but plastic. It is glued onto the cap that screws onto the small bottle that snaps inside the housing that holds tha fan and battery. Someone suggested on using one those female items that performs a wicking action and stick that into the bottle. I refuse to even try that. You can if you want to Rat. Let me know if it works.
  19. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Oh.. ok. Maybe I'll try that if I can sneak one out of wifeys bathroom!
  20. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Make sure it is NEW!