Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Change my aim point. I won't move my pins.

·
White Board Man
14,380 Posts
I think just about all the sights I've seen adjust like that, I keep mine the same because I hunt from all different heights and from the ground occasionally and it's just alot easier to learn to aim accordingly for me.

·
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For one, forgetting that it's adjusted. You get down out of the tree to walk back to the truck for something...see a deer...try to shoot it...your pins were adjusted to your tree stand setting...you miss.

Plus, do you really want to carry an allen wrench around in your pocket so you can change your sites every time you get into or out of your deer stand? As a matter of fact, I don't even know (nor have I even heard) of someone doing it this way. If you're shooting a fairly fast bow, the elevation is not gonna affect your shot placement all that much anyways. I'd just learn to aim accordingly.

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
theres some good points made here (now i aint no pro but my advice is free)

frist thing is as said are all your stands excattly the same hight? i am guessing not

to be honest i think you point of impact is more maybe of a poor shooting form i have this problem alot keeping my arm stright and head right and bending at the waist not droping my arm.......

if your shooting correctly you shouldn't see any difference in the spot of impact till at least 30 yards.

shoot correctly aim a bit low and leave the pins alone.

like i said it was free :D

·
Under appreciated
92,376 Posts
I'm with everyone.. aim a bit low if you need to but dont monkey with pins.

If you get a chance before season, take you a 3-d and shoot it from elevation..
you might be surprised. I need to do that with the newer setup I have now.

·
Under appreciated
92,376 Posts
CP... I dont know if you do this but I have markings on my pull-up rope
that tells me how high I am if'n I cant find that telephone pole we climbers
always look for.. :wave:

·
Under appreciated
92,376 Posts
Um.. you need to ask Nicholas or venatic. I still havent been out there.

If you make time to go, let me know! I've been meaning to make it out there.

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
with todays faster flatter shooting bows, I don't think the difference in point of impact is nearly as significant as it one was. It helps to develope a habit of aiming alittle low in the kill zone anyway to allow for the deer dropping when it does its string jump routine.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,595 Posts
Personally, I aim dead on. Don't change anything. What will cause you to shoot high/low is form. Bend at the waist & keep your upper body form the same as you would on flat ground. Out to 30 yds, you won't notice enough difference to matter. The last thing you need to be worrying about is am I going to miss or make a bad shot. That kind of thinking will make you make a poor shot.

If at all possible, get your climber & a 3D target & do the testing so your confidident in your abilities when the time comes. It helps if you've got a buddy with you to pull arrows for you.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
they do have a broadhead range and climbing stand poles to tESt your climbers but you can not shoot from them!

"Field archery ranges: (located on the main Busch Area) Free for individual users. Groups must call the center for a special use permit. One static archery range with six positions at 10 to 40 yards including an 8 foot elevated platform to simulate shooting from a tree stand and 4 field walking trails with 14 shooting points on each. Target butts provided. Target and field tips only—no broadheads or broadhead practice tips!

At rifle, trap, and skeet range;
Broadhead Archery Pit Ranges: $3 per hour per person, one hour time limit when waiting line exists. 3-D and special targets for use of broadhead hunting tips are in place. Field tips can be used.

Tree Stand Practice Poles: Free for individual users to practice hanging and climbing with their tree stand. Must follow stand manufacture instructions and proper safety belts must be used. Groups must call the center for a special use permit."

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
You have to shoot different when you are in a tree vs on the ground?

Henry is on it here. The equipment these days, well, why repeat what Henry already said?

Sometime elevate yourself 15 feet or so and have someone set a target at 15 yards, then 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 and 25. Shoot every distance aiming dead on with your 20 yard pin. Record your findings. You might be suprised as to what you find.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
BEND AT THE WAISTE! Keep all your angles, line of sight etc the same and there will be basically no difference. I bet the difference between shooting 25 yards on the ground vs 25 yards from 20 feet up is a yard or less. Its an archers form that makes the difference not the trajectory.

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
Originally posted by Snowman
Its an archers form that makes the difference not the trajectory.
Exactly.,,,,,,,the rainbow trajectories we used to shoot made a difference, but these flatter shooting bows of today just don't require the same adjustment for elevation.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Originally posted by henry
Originally posted by Snowman
Its an archers form that makes the difference not the trajectory.
Exactly.,,,,,,,the rainbow trajectories we used to shoot made a difference, but these flatter shooting bows of today just don't require the same adjustment for elevation.
Now that you put it that way Henry, maybe those Hoyt shooters may want to change their pins!:D

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
Now that you put it that way Henry, maybe those Hoyt shooters may want to change their pins!
You may be on to something there,,,,,,,,,,,us hoyt shooters could probably get by with fewer pins than those of ya shooting those slower , noisier,,lower quality bows:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.