New project

Discussion in 'Trout & Fly Fishing' started by sharps4590, Nov 13, 2010.

1. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    So this fella who used to work for me shows up on my front porch carrying what appears to be an aluminum tube for a fly rod. "So whatcha got there BJ" I asked. "Got this old bamboo fly rod I thought ya might be interested in" he tells me. What the heck, I'll look at anything to do with bamboo fly rods. So we go in the house and pull out this raggedy rod sock that proceeds to fall apart all over Mommas freshly steam cleaned carpet....yup, I make big brownie points with that one. So I clean up the mess and begin to look at the rod. "Shore 'nuff BJ, that's bamboo". Turns out it's an old Shakespeare 1308T. This one is made by South Bend back in their glory days and is remarkably similar to my South Bend 323, one of my two favorite rods. Later, a little research confirmed my suspiscion. I offered $20.00 for the rod as it needs to be refurbished completely, new guides, ferrules reset, new reel seat and one tip had delaminated. Probably from the same fungus that ate the rod sock. Pluses are that the grip is in good shape, both tips are complete, not scarfed or anything and the bottom two sections are also good. Now I have an indoor winters project that when finished I can play with on the creeks next year!

[file]147935[/file]

[file]147937[/file]

[file]147939[/file]

2. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.

3. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Looks like a good project.

4. crcaddis

crcaddis New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    $20 is a good price have fun with it. Try to pull the ferrules & reglue em before you bother with wrapping it. The ferrules always seem to come loose a trip or two after you rewrap an old one. Cheers.

5. sharps4590

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    cr, ANYTHING you can tell me will be an increase in my knowledge!!! This is my first effort at such an endeavor and all advice is apprecited!

Vic

6. crcaddis

crcaddis New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    The first thing I'd do is catalog the rod on a sheet of butcher paper if you want to restore it...Mark the location of the guides, thread colors, where all the wraps are located, etc...

Next step is to strip the hardware and pull the ferrulles if they seem a tad loose..That Shakespeare was built by South Bend judging by the reel seat hardware, grip shape & ferrules...so the ferrules shouldnt be pinned...Restored that exact rod for my dad ten or twelve years ago....The reel seat. You will probably destroy if you try to remove it, and the cane only runs about half way through the spacer. I'd leave it cuz Fair Market Value for a restored Shakespeare like that is only $75-100..Not worth the cost of a $50 reel seat..

Next step is to strip the finish..Denatured Alcohol does a great job of stripping varnish off the cane..takes the grime of the cork well too......be careful around any details or markings that you want to preserve...leave those areas alone, or try rolling a Q-tip soaked in denatured over them to remove some but all the finish.

7. crcaddis

crcaddis New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    After that...reglue the ferrules with JB Weld or golf club shafting epoxy..let dry...give the rod a good steel wool rub, hit it with a tack cloth, then varnish...

Many ways to varnish but I usually just hang the sections and varnish with a cheap foam brush from the hardware store..Thinned Ace Spar, or Thinned Helmsman's Spar works pretty well. Apply two coats to the tips, Three to the butts. Usually a day apart, then put it in a warm room and forget about it for a week or two..

Next step...get some new guides, thread, and wrap that sucker. Id go with modern sized guides...nothing smaller than a size 2 for a 5wt......look at the Sage fly rods site for guide size ideas. Snake Brand Guides require the least amount of cleanup to the guide feet.

Then varnish the guides..3-4 coats usually does the trick.... Might want color preserver on those, or not..up to you since it doesnt have collectable value..

Helps if you have a rod wrapper (easy enough to make one from a carboard box) and some kind of thread tensioning device (or put the spool in a coffe cup, and run the thread through a book) and a rod turner when you varnish the guides (or turn it by hand every 5-10 minutes for an hour or two after you varnish). Wait at least a week or two before you fish it. Its not vary hard to do...but it will keep you busy for a couple of evenings. Cheers.

8. sharps4590

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    Sounds like a plan!!! Thanks cr. Now, one question. Is your reason for going to the larger modern guides because of the size of plastic lines? All this rod will see as long as I own it is either Terenzio or Thebault real silk line. Would original size guides be satisfactory?

Thanks again! Great info!

Vic

9. crcaddis

crcaddis New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    I'd go with original sizes for silk...if you can tell what they were....if not I'd probably go with 4-5 1/0's, 1,2, & 4, plus tip top & stripper. Good luck.

10. catdaddy

catdaddy blu bogart

Dec 30, 2007
    t'aint say'n
    :eek::....cant wait to see the final,sounds like a tough project.....good luck.:cheers: