Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to ML, dont know first thing about em and need some help id'ing some parts.

Came across a DEAL on this new unfired Austin & Halleck. Seems pretty straight forward but I'm just not sure what a few of these things are that came with it.
Wood Musical instrument accessory Material property Composite material Tool

Like this small black tube with a hole in it. Does this go on the end of the bolt to protect the primer from weather? which direction does the hole face?
Automotive tire Rim Audio equipment Synthetic rubber Circle

And what about this foot long black tube? its threaded on one end and textured on the other. no clue what this is for.
Automotive tire Grille Hood Wood Motor vehicle

and then there are these two small threaded pieces that look like they would go with the primer somehow....?
Automotive tire Liquid Road surface Gas Tints and shades

Automotive tire Grey Asphalt Tints and shades Automotive wheel system

·
just a no body
14,978 Posts
Had a A&H for a while. Altho mine was like toting a log around maybe because it was wood and it was beautiful wood at that it was one heck of a shooter. Sorry I cant be of more help as I traded it pretty quick for an ATV

·
Mountain lion hunter
28,399 Posts
Piece 1 is a weather shield. Gas escapes from the hole so point it out, away from a scope

piece 2 is for cleaning. Remove the bolt and breech plug then insert that piece to protect the trigger and such from grime

pieces 3 are for what I assume no 11 caps (small one) and winged musket caps (bigger one). Just different ignition options

I don’t own one but I’ve seen similar items

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Piece 1 is a weather shield. Gas escapes from the hole so point it out, away from a scope

piece 2 is for cleaning. Remove the bolt and breech plug then insert that piece to protect the trigger and such from grime

pieces 3 are for what I assume no 11 caps (small one) and winged musket caps (bigger one). Just different ignition options

Thanks. I really am flying blind with this thing. No experience with one of these whatsoever. I was able to find an old A&H owner's manual online. promptly saved that for future reference. But interestingly it didnt identify all of these parts, particularly the 2 items in the last pic. but i suspect your right, ignition related pieces.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I agree the last picture looks like two different breech plug options for ignition systems. Will the larger one hold a 209 shotgun primer? A lot of the ignition systems switched over to that platform using the shotgun primers for the ignition._

Reactions: KRAZO

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really don't know. I dont have any primers, or anything else I'll need for this just yet. But from what I read in the manual, it should take No.11. Maybe the larger one allows for a 209 option but I dont know.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Found this and some other load data. Asked for another manual from another site. Also found people were converting them to the 209 primer system so they do have aftermarket breech plugs for 209 primers. Lots of YouTube videos too

INSTALLING AND REMOVING THE BOLT

The bolt houses most of the rifle's firing mechanism: the hammer and its spring, the bolt shroud, the hammer sear, and (if desired) a weather shroud. In order to insert the bolt in the rifle, the hammer must be ****ed. The hammer face must be flush with the front of the bolt and the hammer sear tip must rest in the detent notch in line with the bolt stop slot on the underside of the bolt body (see Fig.1). (If the hammer is protruding beyond the front of the bolt, it is not ****ed; to **** it, pull rearward on the bolt shroud against spring pressure while twisting the shroud counterclockwise until the sear tip engages its detent.)

To install the bolt: Put the safety "ON". Slide the bolt (with the handle raised in the open position) into the receiver and rotate the handle up or down slightly until the bolt stop pin snaps into its slot on the underside of the bolt body, then close the bolt.

To remove the bolt (Fig. 2): Put the safety "ON". Open the bolt and draw it slowly to the rear about 3" while maintaining a slight downward (clockwise) pressure on the handle until you feel the bolt stop pin engage a ramp-out in the bolt slot. Press the bolt handle down about 1/4 inch (clockwise) to free the bolt stop pin from the slot and slide the bolt rearward out of the receiver.

Use FFg granulation black powder or a black powder substitute ONLY. For example, RS Pyrodex is a black powder substitute used in the same manner as black powder. BOTH ARE MEASURED BY VOLUME (NOT BY WEIGHT) using a standard black powder measure (not supplied).

Your rifle is designed to fire charges from a minimum of 50 grains to a MAXIMUM OF 150 GRAINS of FFg black powder or black powder substitute measured by volume. It is vital to measure accurately (See Warning below)

Use ONLY No.11 percussion caps. No. 10 caps for pistols will be too small and musket caps will be too large. Caps will detonate from impact so handle them carefully and keep them in a container until you use them.

To disassemble the bolt for cleaning:

Step 1. After removing the ****ed bolt from the rifle, use a 5/64 alien wrench to completely remove the hex set screw located near the hammer sear on the bolt shroud.

Step 2. Remove the weather shroud if installed. Note that in the ****ed position, the head of hammer should be aligned evenly with the bolt body.

Step 3. Using a coin placed in the slot found in the head of the hammer, unscrew the hammer in a counter clock wise direction. After the hammer is unscrewed approximately 1/2 inch move the bolt into the un****ed position to relieve the spring pressure, then continue unscrewing until disassembled. To reassemble, reverse the process (however after starting the reassembly, make sure that the hammer sear is in the ****ed position in order to correctly align the head of the hammer with the bolt body).

Reactions: Wibb and beanpile

·
Under appreciated
90,349 Posts
Step 3 sounds like a slot machine in Vegas or a pay-as-you-go strip club. :D

Kidding… I don’t know much about muzzleloaders but I think these are supposed to be shooters?? At any rate, most of these inline ML are pretty accurate. I was intimidated when I first started with them, but now I am only mildly scared. :)

If Blackhorn 209 powder is an option, I’d start there and end there. Much easier to clean up.

Reactions: KRAZO

·
In Mourning ___ Save the Ninja
5,053 Posts

You being helpful with no humor attached ,,,,Im disappointed:D

Reactions: 90acres

·
In Mourning ___ Save the Ninja
5,053 Posts

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,496 Posts
Sposed to be pretty nice rifles, best of luck with it. Some of the wood stocked ones where gorgeous.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Well it wont exactly be BH209 ready. That requires a sealed breech and the A&H is more or less a slam fire like the old Rem700ML. Cecil might claim it works but ive seen him make lots of claims that didnt hold up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts