Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
High-tech Hillbilly
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just finished this bag for Roy Mackey of Lone Star Game Calls. It was an interesting project because of the pockets, box call sheath and striker sleeves he wanted on it. I had never made a bag like this before so I really had to think about how I was going to put it all together. Surprisingly enough, my plan worked out and I was pleased with the end result.

One thing I really like about this bag is I got to use rare earth magnets as clasps for the flaps. I hardly ever get to use magnets because they don't play well with the electronics most folks like to carry around.

The body of the bag is buffalo and red deer. The trim is a mixture of ostrich hide, ostrich leg skin, caiman and deer. The adjustable straps are red deer and I carved the buttons out of deer antler. Everything was sewn by hand using artificial sinew.

Darren

·
Registered
69,277 Posts
You amaze me each time you post up some of your workmanship Darren. No way these knotted up hands of mine could ever stitch up anything like what you do. Velcro is my friend....and super glue.

Great work!!

·
Biology nit wit exposer
80,222 Posts
That's a handsome piece of work.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,454 Posts
:) Very nice work my friend! I am overly impressed each time I see your work!

·
High-tech Hillbilly
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I heard from Roy yesterday and he is quite pleased with his bag. That is a relief since I am always worried about my custom work. Roy especially liked the box call sheath and said I ought to make those separate with a belt loop and sell them. Don't know how much of a demand there is for something like that but it's a thought.

Roy is headed to Florida tomorrow for their opening day on Saturday. Hopefully, he will send me a picture of a dead Osceola next to that bag.

Darren

·
Super Moderator
14,530 Posts
Awesome job on the project! If one stays in familiar territory and never accepts a challenge like you did, they miss a ton opportunity to learn and grow!

·
High-tech Hillbilly
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Saturday, March 21st - Got this from Roy Mackey this morning. He's down in Florida for their opener and had some success. 21 pounds, 12" beard and 1 1/8" spurs. The bag looks good on him!

Darren

1 - 12 of 12 Posts