Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening everyone. So I think I’m just about prepped for my first hunt. Not sure where to go as I’m brand new to the area and brand new to hunting this year. Got my bow set, scent mask and scent bombs, as well as a blind. Hoping to have a successful first hunt as I look forward to a great time in the outdoors.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of bow you shooting? What area are you hunting?
I have the blackout epic, 100 grain arrows and broad heads. I’m hoping to stay local, maybe around hazel lake, but not exactly sure where to setup cause just got to the state about 6 months ago. Other than that, I have a coworker that is trying to get his brother to let me hunt on his land.

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
If your hunting deer from a ground blind , be sure to hide it well if you aren't hunting a spot you can leave it out so they can acclimate to it.

Reactions: Mwetz86

·
Under appreciated
89,770 Posts
The single best tip for seeing deer is pay very close attention to wind direction.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Don't get overly Gung ho. IE Don't blow out your spots in hot, sweaty september. plan ahead...can I get a deer out if it runs down that mountain, can I get help trailing a deer. Is it late evening and a huge rain is coming that will wash out a blood trail by morning. Don't set your expectations too high. Do you have multiple good flashlights. Extra batteries. Water, snacks. Good knife. Possible bag with bow tools, string to adjust a broken zipper window on blind, small roll duct tape to fix tear in blind, aspirin, cough drops. Comfortable seat for blind. Well thought out way to get to blind. Ability to find a stand in woods in the dark. Accept going to be mistakes and disappointments, whether first time out or after 30 years.

·
Don't mind me
9,448 Posts
You're in a good area to kill deer on public ground.
Don't expect to kill deer on your first ever hunt, that's not what it's all about!
And have a dead set max distance you're confident shooting at a live deer, and don't shoot any farther than that. Hopefully you have a rangefinder to help you judge distances.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't get overly Gung ho. IE Don't blow out your spots in hot, sweaty september. plan ahead...can I get a deer out if it runs down that mountain, can I get help trailing a deer. Is it late evening and a huge rain is coming that will wash out a blood trail by morning. Don't set your expectations too high. Do you have multiple good flashlights. Extra batteries. Water, snacks. Good knife. Possible bag with bow tools, string to adjust a broken zipper window on blind, small roll duct tape to fix tear in blind, aspirin, cough drops. Comfortable seat for blind. Well thought out way to get to blind. Ability to find a stand in woods in the dark. Accept going to be mistakes and disappointments, whether first time out or after 30 years.
Thanks for the advice, never would have thought to bring that kind of stuff with me. Haven’t had a chance to get trail cams yet. So I’m just going to wing it and enjoy the outdoors this year.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
If you plan on hunting early season treat your clothes in permethrin. Ticks can be dangerous and chiggers can make you miserable. Now would be a good time to scout the areas you want to hunt. Finding heavily used trails or intersections of trails now will help determine where you exactly want to setup. With archery hunting setting up 20 yards one way or the other matters. It can be the difference between getting a shot or not having one.

·
Registered
22,933 Posts
you have probably done so, but check out a deer's anatomy. Stay away from 1/4 to shots and and focus on BROADSIDE shots, hard quartering away shots are tricky...but not if you remember to aim for the spot that allows your arrow to exit the off shoulder.

·
Part-time malcontent
7,465 Posts
My advice - Make goals for ‘success’ in small increments. Getting into the woods with your gear and enjoying the moment with nature would be a ‘success’ for your first outing. Seeing game and observing will be another ‘success.’ Enjoy and learn. Don’t be too disappointed if you don’t harvest any game right away, just learn and enjoy. When you do get your first deer, turkey, whatever, it will be a success built on many. And don’t apologize for taking a deer that doesn’t have a giant set of antlers. Respect the animal you take and be thankful for the food it provides.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everyone for the great advice! All of it has great things to take away to enjoy my first year.

·
Under appreciated
89,770 Posts
How old are you if you dont mind me asking? It really doesnt matter other than to speak to your level of experience.

If you've been hunting for quite some time, people here can assume a certain level of proficiency and be more effective at providing advice. I realize you mentioned you were brand new to hunting also. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How old are you if you dont mind me asking? It really doesnt matter other than to speak to your level of experience.

If you've been hunting for quite some time, people here can assume a certain level of proficiency and be more effective at providing advice. I realize you mentioned you were brand new to hunting also. :)
I’m 34, just never had someone take interest in mentoring me. I’d always wanted to go out but just finally reached the point where I’m not getting any younger so I’ll learn myself lol. I recently got my hunting license about a year ago while I was overseas once I learned where I was headed had great hunting.

·
Under appreciated
89,770 Posts
Perfect, welcome and good luck. You will get a lot of good information here as well as reading back through the forums.

Reactions: 20' and Mwetz86

·
Registered
624 Posts
Expect to spend a lot of time seeing nothing. Appreciate the other stuff, other birds and animals, weather (nice or nasty). Remember it can happen real fast when a deer does appear. Keep thinking of anything you might need, both in general. And after you have hit a deer. No idea if you have a .22, but spending some mornings in the woods squirrel hunting can do wonders for your woodsmanship, and powers of observation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Expect to spend a lot of time seeing nothing. Appreciate the other stuff, other birds and animals, weather (nice or nasty). Remember it can happen real fast when a deer does appear. Keep thinking of anything you might need, both in general. And after you have hit a deer. No idea if you have a .22, but spending some mornings in the woods squirrel hunting can do wonders for your woodsmanship, and powers of observation.
All I have is a bow right now. Have a bunch of other stuff to pay for but with my pay raise right around Christmas time who knows for next season haha

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ask as many questions as you like, most will be happy to help.
Well while not on the shopping list for this season, I am wanting to get a range finder, decent pair of binoculars, trail cams for next season. I got cover scent wafers as well as scent bombs to hang from outside my blind, scent cover spray, as well as a call and going to get a seat before I go out. Not comfortable with tree stand yet since I am most likely going to be hunting by myself.

Any other recommendation to get as I prep for next season over the next year?

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,609 Posts
Well while not on the shopping list for this season, I am wanting to get a range finder, decent pair of binoculars, trail cams for next season. I got cover scent wafers as well as scent bombs to hang from outside my blind, scent cover spray, as well as a call and going to get a seat before I go out. Not comfortable with tree stand yet since I am most likely going to be hunting by myself.

Any other recommendation to get as I prep for next season over the next year?
Where abouts in the state are you located at?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts