New Gun Advice

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by golfnut1969, Nov 2, 2010.

1. golfnut1969

golfnut1969 You're not a golfer.

Hey all, long time no chat.

Anyway, I've started reloading for a 308 win that I don't own yet, and I'm looking for a bit of advice. I have a Savage 11 in 223 and love the way it shoots. I'd like to get the same gun in the 308 as well.

However, I thought I would ask here for advice on other models/makes for the 308. I'm more interested in performance than appearance. While I like to shoot, I use my guns for hunting and actually prefer the synthetic stocks so I don't have to worry about scratches and such.

Anyway, the Savage has a MSRP of $591, but I know I can get it much cheaper than that. I've only got about $400 to spend (not including taxes), so I'm looking to spend around $375 to $425.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

2. SNA2STL

SNA2STL Active Member

Jeff how are you sir? Great to see you on here! I would stick with Savage, they are sweet! Yote time!

3. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    SEMO
    [rquote=1875501&tid=130640&author=SNA2STL]I would stick with Savage, they are sweet! [/rquote]

X2

You're not gonna beat the savage in 308.

Only other gun to consider would be the TC Venture, and I think its still a little more than you wanna spend.

4. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    One vote for Remington 700 but it would run you more cash.

Worth the extra $ in my opinion but I'm a die hard Remington fan from way back. Nothing wrong with todays Savages but to each his own.

You will like the .308 no matter what brand of rifle you choose.

5. Big_Bullseye

Big_Bullseye Honey Badger Phat Sack

Nov 2, 2004
    Franklin County
    For that kind of money the Savage would be the gun of choice. However for slightly more the Tikka T3 would be another fine choice.

6. skull stacker

skull stacker Active Member

Sep 3, 2008
    SEMO
    Buy a Steven model 200, then but a timmney trigger in it, and you have a savage model 10 for less money.

7. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    buy the stevens for 300.00 and buy an aftermarket trigger now or later (timney or SSS) and be set.
    +1 on the Venture, and don't rule out the Marlin bolt rifle if they offer it in left hand.

8. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1875712&tid=130640&author=Mailman]One vote for Remington 700 but it would run you more cash.

Worth the extra $ in my opinion but I'm a die hard Remington fan from way back. Nothing wrong with todays Savages but to each his own.

You will like the .308 no matter what brand of rifle you choose.[/rquote]

x2,

I think, he could find a 700 for about $500. I just bought that BDL from Cabela's in 30-06 for $499. Fluted barrel, XTR stock and butt pad, jeweled bolt, and adjustable trigger.... And, it's shooting MOA at 100 yds....:D

:thinking:

9. cummins5.9

cummins5.9 Baller, shot caller

Sep 27, 2006
    Yes
    I second the Stevens 200 choice with a new trigger. Rifle Basix makes a drop in that is really nice for about $80 or so. You can usually find them for 300-350 on Gunbroker. Or, you can find a Savage 11 with accu-trigger for $400 and you wouldn't need to replace the trigger. Tikka T3s can be found for around $500 and shoot well. Any of the 3 will probably shoot better than a Remmy 700.

10. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Cabela's has these for $469 too.. No experience with them, but I have heard some good things....:shrug:

Thompson/Center Venture Bolt-Action Rifle

* Minute-of-angle accuracy
    * Classic sporter-style composite stock
    * Match-grade T/C barrel with 5R rifling
    * Externally adjustable trigger
    * Three-round single-stack magazine

Top-end quality and accuracy at an entry-level price. The Venture is guaranteed to deliver minute-of-angle accuracy 1" groups at 100 yds. Plus, it features a classic sporter-style composite stock with traction grip panels. The match-grade T/C barrel with 5R rifling increases stability and reduces fouling. The adjustable trigger is preset to 3 to 3.5 lbs. of pull, zero creep and overtravel. Includes factory tool for adjustments. Three-round single-stack magazine maintains perfect alignment for flawless feeding. 60 bolt lift is made possible by three locking lugs for greater bolt-to-scope clearance.

[file]145400[/file]

11. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    BTW... How much is Savage paying Cummins these days to always post Savage when new gun threads come up?:thinking:

I'm just sayin.....:D

12. Big_Bullseye

Nov 2, 2004
    Franklin County
    Sako A7's are sweet and bass pro has had them on sale for awhile. Guy at work picked on up for cheap and it was shooting sub MOA with factory ammo. I think they gurantee .5" MOA or at least MOA.

13. cummins5.9

Sep 27, 2006
    Yes
    [rquote=1875753&tid=130640&author=callaojoe]BTW... How much is Savage paying Cummins these days to always post Savage when new gun threads come up?:thinking:

I'm just sayin.....:D[/rquote]

I wish they were paying me in new guns. I'd gladly even be more obnoxious about extolling the virtues of Savage if they'd give me a Model 111 Long Range Hunter in 6.5x284.

14. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    [rquote=1875767&tid=130640&author=cummins5.9] I'd gladly even be more obnoxious.[/rquote]

Is this possible....??

:wave:

15. Big_Bullseye

Nov 2, 2004
    Franklin County
    [rquote=1875774&tid=130640&author=Mailman][rquote=1875767&tid=130640&author=cummins5.9] I'd gladly even be more obnoxious.[/rquote]

Is this possible....??

:wave:[/rquote]

hardly....

6.5X284 - nice....

16. cummins5.9

Sep 27, 2006
    Yes
    [rquote=1875774&tid=130640&author=Mailman][rquote=1875767&tid=130640&author=cummins5.9] I'd gladly even be more obnoxious.[/rquote]

Is this possible....??

I know. Sometimes the truth is obnoxious to the unknowing.

17. skull stacker

skull stacker Active Member

Sep 3, 2008
    SEMO
    [rquote=1875749&tid=130640&author=callaojoe]Cabela's has these for $469 too.. No experience with them, but I have heard some good things....:shrug:

Thompson/Center Ventureâ„¢ Bolt-Action Rifle

* Minute-of-angle accuracy
    * Classic sporter-style composite stock
    * Match-grade T/C barrel with 5R rifling
    * Externally adjustable trigger
    * Three-round single-stack magazine

Top-end quality and accuracy at an entry-level price. The Venture is guaranteed to deliver minute-of-angle accuracy – 1" groups at 100 yds. Plus, it features a classic sporter-style composite stock with traction grip panels. The match-grade T/C barrel with 5R® rifling increases stability and reduces fouling. The adjustable trigger is preset to 3 to 3.5 lbs. of pull, zero creep and overtravel. Includes factory tool for adjustments. Three-round single-stack magazine maintains perfect alignment for flawless feeding. 60° bolt lift is made possible by three locking lugs for greater bolt-to-scope clearance. [/rquote]

I have looked at these, well make gun just heavy compared to the others like the Tikka or the A7.

18. macon county boy

macon county boy New Member

May 6, 2009
    rem 700 sps is a good choice, a savage model 12 is a shooter

19. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1875779&tid=130640&author=Big_Bullseye][rquote=1875774&tid=130640&author=Mailman][rquote=1875767&tid=130640&author=cummins5.9] I'd gladly even be more obnoxious.[/rquote]

Is this possible....??

hardly....

6.5X284 - nice....[/rquote]

Even better......:whistle:

6.5x284 on G.A.

20. cummins5.9

Sep 27, 2006
    Yes
    Where's the Indian head on that thing, CJ?