Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to start my first food plot this year. I want to know if it is ok to start spraying RU now. I would like to plant some clover this spring. What should I do to get all this going. Thanks for the help.

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,634 Posts
Bit late, unless you're killing honeysuckle, and probably marginal even then.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
If we get another warm spell of maybe 4-5 roughly 60 degree days, spray somewhere around day 3-4 of the warm up. You can still kill icool season grass.

I'd plant clover in the fall personally, but you can have some good success with frost seeding (if you get the existing vegetation killed).

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,634 Posts
Hab, does that go for the h-suckle, too? I just never got around to it...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Fluty.....I'm in your same boat here. This will be my first time planting as well. I just got my soil tests done this week. Once I get those back I hope to come up with a game plan. Good luck to you. I too am wondering if it is to late to spray and kill all the grass and weeds now.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,051 Posts
Tell us a little more about what's currently growing in the plot you want to plant.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I thought round up only works when in a growing state not a dormant one.

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
[rquote=1488920&tid=103931&author=Pipe]I thought round up only works when in a growing state not a dormant one. [/rquote]

We have had enough warm weather there is a good chance the grasses have not gone completely dormant. If they are not,,they are sucking nutrients into the roots and can be killed. I bet we get another warm snap soon.:D

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
[rquote=1487678&tid=103931&author=UrbanHunter]Hab, does that go for the h-suckle, too? I just never got around to it...[/rquote]

Don't know. Leaves are starting to yellow around here. You could basal spray it for sure (or cut stump too).

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
[rquote=1488920&tid=103931&author=Pipe]I thought round up only works when in a growing state not a dormant one. [/rquote]

Its a real slow kill too. As long as the temps don't get down into say the mid 20's or so, fescue still has the ability to pull glypho down into the roots IF you apply during a warm spell. Cool season grass doesn't go completely dormant until we get some extended cold temps.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
After todays temps near 70 and tomorrow close to the same, I'd spray tomorrow if I had the chance. You probably wont kill any weeds tho, probably just the green fescue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts