Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Under appreciated
89,843 Posts
What kind of holdover would he be looking at there and what kind of MV would he be getting?

While we are at it, what kind of drop would a feller expect from a 250gr Hornady SST on top of 70gr BH209, assuming it has about 1930-ish MV?
I’m just wondering if a gun is dead on at 100yds, what kind of drop would a guy expect out to say 300, not saying 300 is doable, just curious. I did read one account of a similar load having 11” of drop at 200 yards. Are there charts that would give a guy a general idea? I’m no rifleman, certainly no muzzleloader dude.

Reactions: CamoNinja

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
What kind of holdover would he be looking at there and what kind of MV would he be getting?

While we are at it, what kind of drop would a feller expect from a 250gr Hornady SST on top of 70gr BH209, assuming it has about 1930-ish MV?
I'm just wondering if a gun is dead on at 100yds, what kind of drop would a guy expect out to say 300, not saying 300 is doable. Are there charts that would give a guy a general idea? I'm no rifleman, certainly no muzzleloader dude.
There are free ballistic apps for your phone. BulletDrop is a simple one. They make much more complex version. Basically just enter bullet speed and ballistic coefficient, then a few environmental parameters, and it spits out a chart for ya. It's a rabbit hole a guy like you could have a lot of fun with. It's basically rocket science for dummies.

Reactions: kgdog

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Hornady has a ballistics page on their website. The big deal is though....real BC and claimed BC dont always jive. Even a bullet that has a real BC of say .220 might not be the same when shot much faster. BC is not static....its dynamic.

I would consider the 250gr SST's .210 BC to be a little optimistic. I think around .200 is closer to the real world.
https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady/ballistic-calculators/#!/

You can see what i meen on Sierras website. The 458 300gr FNHP for example has a different BC rating for different velocities.
https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/45-caliber-300-gr-hp-fn/

·
Under appreciated
89,843 Posts
Thanks you answered my question about BC. I was fooling with that calculator a bit before but getting different results.
Obviously the MV is a swag but based on all I can find, it should be pretty close. The difference in BC between .200 and .210 doesnt seem to make a whole lot of difference, at least with distances I’d be worried about.

·
Bro Staff
13,106 Posts
Little off topic, but do know if the UL Knights shoot as well as the others? My Knight Disc Extreme is a shooter but thought about picking up the Knight UL next time I go to the Mountains

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I really like the Knights and the Ulite in a 45 1-20 has huge potential. They are very popular on the MML forum. The stock is really well made and they have real Timney triggers. Not Velocity trigger knock offs anymore.

The one thing i would change is the breech plug to a Lehigh or a custom fit Bestill plug.

In a 50cal you have some other options you might want to look at too. Such as a Accura MR or a Woodman Patriot rifle. Both are light and well made. Woodman offers a 45 fast twist too with a Brux option but that will set you back a grand. Neat rifle if you like a break action.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
If a 45 is legal were you want to hunt i would get a fast twist 45 1-20. Your projectile options are endless with a adjustable sizing die. Even if you want to shoot sabots the 40cal 250gr bullets from Fury will "out fly" pretty much any 45cal 250gr you can shoot from a 50cal in sabots.

A 45 with the same amount of powder and bullet weight will also give you a few more fps vs a 50cal. The few more fps combined with a better BC will help you reach out a bit more without a lot more recoil.

·
Bro Staff
13,106 Posts
If a 45 is legal were you want to hunt i would get a fast twist 45 1-20. Your projectile options are endless with a adjustable sizing die. Even if you want to shoot sabots the 40cal 250gr bullets from Fury will "out fly" pretty much any 45cal 250gr you can shoot from a 50cal in sabots.

A 45 with the same amount of powder and bullet weight will also give you a few more fps vs a 50cal. The few more fps combined with a better BC will help you reach out a bit more without a lot more recoil.
It'll be my mountain rig so I'm going to check some western state regs before I decide. No real rush, just curious if the UL was as accurate as my current Knight. Sounds like the 45cal would be a little insurance on the side of accuracy.

Not interested in any hammer guns, I have some research to do!
Saw Knight quit offering the nitride barrels!?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
45cal is legal in most states for deer but most of the "western" states you need a 50cal for elk.
A 45cal is legal in New Mexico for elk and deer.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Make sure to get it with iron sights then....You want the Colorado Legal model in bare primer if 209s are legal where you want to hunt. Colorado is just no pellets, scopes or sabots. Other PACNW states may require percussion ignition.

• Can be ordered with Full Plastic Jacket, Bare Primer, #11 or Musket Cap, and with or without sights.
  • Washington State and Colorado laws: 209 Ignition or Western Ignition Only. Sights Only, No Optics.
And just a FYI, you can buy the same 45 barrel kit i did too. It will drop right in the stock and all parts swap over in minutes.....VERY SIMPLE to do it. The 45 1-20 barrel is around $350 shipped. Its a Mountaineer 27" barrel but like i said its a drop in swap.
https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product/mountaineer-muzzleloader-45-cal-120-fast-twist-barrel-kit/

21 - 32 of 32 Posts