Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys who already have Knight Extremes, Elites, LRHs or 50cal Mountaineers are in for a treat if you ever wanted a 45cal 1-20 twist to shoot more modern bullets. Knight rifle is now selling Mountaineer 45 1-20 barrel kits for $339. The kit includes the barrel, Easton carbon core ramrod, sights and the quick release bolt pin. I think the bore is also treated with Dynatek.

Its a direct barrel swap if you already have a Mountaineer 50cal. Others require a new breach plug and minor stock inletting unless you have an Elite or LRH. Those are already cut out for the forked style lug. Current production Knight stocks are also already inlet for the lug.

The faster twist opens up many new options for a 45 including huge lead conicals and 40cals over 1" long in sabots. The older 1-30 will peter out after about a 405gr conical. Big lead is cheap and fun to shoot with less powder too. Conicals are also incredibly accurate once you find what yours likes. No short starter needed. They load as easy as them little girly bullets with skirts on them.

I dropped mine in a Elite stock first and my custom 1 piece base because i got a extra set of Warnes low rings. Warnes steel bases are much lower than this base and offer far less mounting flexibility. You cant buy this base but you can get a Murphy in SS that is much nicer.

I have a Extreme TH stock too that was inlet for the forked lug.

Next i checked the new Vortex scope for relief and clearance....Not bad at all. Love the 4" of eye relief and the Diamondback HP 3x12x42 has great glass for $199. Same standard XD/XR glass as the Vipers. Still got enough room for flip up caps with low rings on that base. Just what i wanted.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Bare primer bolt housing test fit. You can get these at Sportmans with a plug shipped for $85 Knight wants $130+ shipping. Not sure if Sportsmans is jeweled and bolt handle knurled like mine. It should be and has the same Knight Part#.

This is a beautiful Knight bare primer bolt body. Machining is pretty nice actually and looks far nicer than older bolt bodies. Appears to be machined out of stainless and not cast then plated.

I used my Elite bolt internals no problem. Screwed right in no mods needed.

So how does it fit?........PERFECTLY

Headspace can barely be seen and looks about as perfect as i could hope to get.

But the proof is in the primer. This is a standard CCI209 i test fired.

Basically spotless and falls right out after firing.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same rifle with an Elite bolt using a Lehigh NFPJ adapter. Head space on mine is so tight i had to use a plug that is 20 thousandths shorter to get the bolt to close. Next im gunna try a stock length plug and remove the material from the adapter instead.

Fed209A and WIn209 come out spotless with minor shimming in the primer pocket. Why some people put up with a filthy breach is a mystery to me. I would not tolerate it with a bolt action centerfire and there is no reason to with a ML either.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for the information I seem to have a Knight rifle affliction my self, all of mine are from Tony Knight and the original factory I think.
Just hope to have the time to play with them someday.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive got a older Super DISC also. That would have been made when Tony was still alive and owned Knight. Had a mint MK85 54cal but like a dummy i sold it. I already had a really nice 54cal so i didnt really need it. Ive owned a few others too. I still have a Elite 45 barrel i never use because its the slower 1-30 twist.

Really love fast twist 45s though. This was a friends i should have bought for $750 since he did all the work already. Even had Seekens rings and a Murphy base included. It was a steal at $750.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That’s some good shooting !
I have a 50 and a 54 Mk85 Knighthawk , 50 master hunter, 50 and 45 super discs, 12 ga shotgun and 5 Hk 94 50 cal pistols.
Old Tony was a great innovator.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Knight had some beauties over the years but the MK85 was a classic. Wonderful balance, fit and finish. My Super DISC i converted with a Extreme bolt and Lehigh bare primer plug with NFPJ adapter. Also added Knights competition trigger from around 2006. Same trigger Knight used in the 45 1-18 Extreme Target model. I gave $265 for that rifle new in box and i think i gave $75 for the trigger. Later i added a Bestill custom fit breach plug with a tungsten carbide bushing for the flash hole. Lehigh plug worked fine but the TC bushing lasts for ages.

Both plugs are made out of 17-4 which is far better than 416 for this application. Bestill version is $70 DIY or $80 custom fit. The standard Lehigh is $24.45 shipped.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ordered a set of Vortex rings. Mainly because i wanted a ring that would come off the base without loosening the scope too. I like my Warnes but they use the same bottom screws to secure the scope and base. The Vortex rings are also a little wider and utilize STANAG/NATO type clamping instead of 1913-STD.

I tried my Warnes bases with the Warnes rings but im more comfortable with the scope just a little more forward. Cant really go much further using the tiny Warnes bases. Noone makes extended bases for Knights anymore. Got a set of Vortex Pro rings for under $40 shipped during a 1 day sale but they wont ship for a couple more days.

Had to get some new base screws also. The Warnes screws dont grab by much with this base.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Knight Muzzleloading Quick Detachable Scope Rings, ever used these mounts I have a few sets kind of a pain to get set up but seem to work well after.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Knight has sold a variety of bases/rings over the years. Weaver and Leupolds mainly IIRC. Now they offer the Vortex Pro quick release. I like the Pro Series i got better. Ive used Warnes quick release in the past but they are over $60 now. At that price i might as well move upto TPS rings at Brownwells.

I would rather have 2 Torx retaining screws and the crossbar as part of the base vs it being part of the retaining nut.

This scope might get moved again after i sell off some stuff. When/if i upgrade it again it will be with a far more expensive scope and high end rings like Seekins or TPS XTR rings.

These are super nice dual crossbar machined billet rings but they aint cheap.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the barrel floated to my liking and the rail bedded. Still waiting on my damn Vortex Pro rings that were backordered. Now the barrel only touches the stock a couple inches infront and behind the recoil lug. I wasnt going to bed the rail but figured why not....It was simple to do.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found these great looking rings at EuroOptics for $78 and $8 shipping. I dont think you can find better rings for that kinda money. They are $100 on Amazon. I cant find anyone else that offers a 1" ring that is dual crossbar machined into the ring. TPS only offers them in 30mm and those are $130.

Picatinny ONLY
Dual cross bars
Dual Torx for base attachment.
Made in Italy from 7075
https://www.eurooptic.com/Contessa-1-Light-Picatinny-815-Height-Rings-LPR01-A.aspx

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These suckers are beefy and fit my base. They set flush to the top of the base unlike the Warnes that had a gap. So they are STANAG clamping style.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Basically done now. Just need check ring torque and fit the other plug for the FPJ bolt. I could just shim one i got but i think im gunna get another Lehigh plug instead. I will set up the other plug for the RemSTS primers and the FPJ adapter. Still getting used to my new Canon cam but the pics look pretty good.

Lehigh picatinny rail (bedded w/JB Weld)
Contessa light weight 1" picatinny rings (lows)...REALLY nice double cross bar rings too.
Extreme TH stock (bedded and fork slightly shimmed)
Elite bolt internals in the Knight bare primer bolt body
Lehigh bare primer plug
Older Knight competition grade trigger. NOT a Timney but its a great trigger.
Vortex DB HP 3x12x42

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well i was basically done with this rig but i was never 100% happy with this rail/scope combination. I meen its ok but since i got a nice bonus check and bills are paid i had to get one of these Murphy picatinny rails in 17-4 SS. The old one is 2024 T4 bar stock and just a tad short. The Murphy has 1 additional slot in front and a little more room to load the primer.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
Nice Project... and review !

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im just being a bit too nit picky about the rail BUT i dont think you will find a better quality rail than Murphy and surely not for $125 shipped. No one i know of makes rails from 17-4 PH SS. Its sort of a pain to machine vs 416 and very corrosion resistant. Stronger than 416 too.

I was even able to call him to make sure i could order mine slightly different than the standard Knight rails. They had one less slot than the pic. Took 2 phone calls (me and another guy) for him to change the base pattern to the additional slot. He said most people seem to special order them that way so now they come with it starting yesterday.

He makes them for tons of rifles and special order can be as simple as adding it to the notes online.
https://www.murphyprecision.com/Products/Cat/1

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
Basically done now. Just need check ring torque and fit the other plug for the FPJ bolt. I could just shim one i got but i think im gunna get another Lehigh plug instead. I will set up the other plug for the RemSTS primers and the FPJ adapter. Still getting used to my new Canon cam but the pics look pretty good.

Lehigh picatinny rail (bedded w/JB Weld)
Contessa light weight 1" picatinny rings (lows)...REALLY nice double cross bar rings too.
Extreme TH stock (bedded and fork slightly shimmed)
Elite bolt internals in the Knight bare primer bolt body
Lehigh bare primer plug
Older Knight competition grade trigger. NOT a Timney but its a great trigger.
Vortex DB HP 3x12x42

There should be a - between the 3 and 12, not a X, otherwise everything looks great....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts