Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to the property yesterday to see how the plots I planted about a week and a half ago are doing and snap some pictures. Things are looking pretty good...we'll see in a few more weeks!

this is the far north plot.

Attachments

· Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Northwest

These plots are a mix of milo, soybeans and austrian winter peas. I'm thinking of overseeding some turnips before it's over with but havn't decided for sure yet.

Attachments

· Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
southeast (south half)

Attachments

· Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
southeast plot (north half)

Attachments

· Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
southwest plot

Attachments

· Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
closeup shot

You can see the milo and beans in the picture.
I took a closeup picture just so you can see what's there. There are spots thicker than this, but hopefully if everything goes well it's going to be plenty thick. I've always been told that a half stand of milo or soybeans will produce as much as a full stand the majority of the time. Hope it is thick enough. I did that intentionally, but that is why I'm considering the turnips. We'll see in a few weeks, the turnips should still be able to come up and fill in.

Attachments

· Jenny's Lackey
47,789 Posts
Hoyt,
Those plots are looking good. Now lets pray for rain. I hope you like songbirds, quail & turkey, because they all love milo. The blackbirds will stop by as they migrate out too. Last year, the deer didn't use mine till mid-late winter, but there were tons of acorns so that may have played a part.

The only reason I would question the turnips is that as the beans fill out, won't they shade the smaller plants? Don't know for sure, never grew turnips. This spring, I broadcast my corn because I was told the drill I was renting wouldn't plant corn. (later found out it would have planted the round corn seed). I was way less than pleased with the sparce plants, so I went over it with the drill & planted sunflowers & sorghum (I like birds) right in with the corn. Wish I hadn't done that. I ran out of seed on the bigger patch of corn, so the one acre patch is corn alone with some big holes (great ragweed patch). The thin patch is producing far more corn than the patch I overseeded. I guess that's the way I learn.

By the way, great looking plots if I didn't say it before.:cheers: Even if I did say it, still great lookin.

· Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys...I appreciate it!

Pinwheel...
On the turnips...the thing about them and one reason I wouldn't be too worried about the beans shading them out. Depending on the seed that you use, some turnips are very fast growers, some can grow up to 24" in 45 days. I intentionally didn't include them in the planting because I was afraid of them shading out the others. I think that if I wait a few weeks they will still be ok, particularly in the areas that are a little thinner. I have done turnips and other brassicas before, they used it but not until really late. I think that was a combination of them being unsure of the plants and a really mild winter. Maybe this year would be different. Worse case scenerio the same happens. Either way it'll give them something late in the year.
I planted all of these plots in milo the first year I did them and it was unreal. HUGE draw for the deer and they had it looking like it was combined by the first middle of october, that's why I planted as late as possible. I just included the AW peas because I had them laying around.
Just a thought. On those areas that are bad in your corn plots. If you can...you could get in there and get all the ragweed or whatever else out and broadcast turnips. You wouldn't have to do anything more than disturb the groudn a little. Turnip seed is tiny like clover...doesn't take much, just need a little soil contact and they should grow. It's still a little early for brassicas. you could get in there and roundup the weeds, give it a week roundup again, make sure you kill as much as you can, then put the turnips down. You can pick up a small bag of shotplot by evolved habitats pretty cheap. Great product and it's the one that grows 24" in 45 days. Just try to time your planting about 45 days before the first frost and you should be in business.

SB...
I worked the ground and broadcasted the seed. Then I ran a springtooth over to bury the seed just a hair. That's why it kind of looks like its in rows. The first year I did milo I just worked the ground and broadcasted seed without covering. Still came up great.

· Jenny's Lackey
47,789 Posts
Ok Hoyt, you've conviced me. I'll give the brasicas a try in a small patch this year. :) I never even glance a commercial seed, where do I buy shot plot seed? I've got a walk behind brush cutter. I'm sure I can get in there & do a # on the ragweed. It's only about 700-1000 sq ft. Not really a big area. About the size of the main level on a small house, if that big. If there's seed left over, I'm sure I can find another spot for it. Still got 2-3 acres left to plant.

I did take a page from your book last weekend & planted 1/2 acre of soybeans. Pretty late, but hopefully they'll grow enough for browse. Soil sure was dry & powdery by the time we finished. It started as soybean stubble this spring, but I let the weeds grow all summer. I just took the plow & turned the weeds about 8" deep, followed that with my new chisel plow to smooth everything, then disced it 3 times with old horsedrawn disc behind the mule. Next we broadcast 50# of soybeans (yeah, I know that's too many for 1/2 acre, but as dry as it is, I'm afraid I'll loose a lot), then covered them with an old section of harrow. I had that area limed this spring with 2 ton/acre of ag lime & it needed turned into the soil any how. We did put 100# of 13-13-13 on as well.

· Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pinwheel...
Let me know how those beans you planted do!

As for the brassicas in those spots...I just figured it can't hurt! At least you'll have something out there better than ragweed!
I think you may be able to pick up the shot plot at walmart, if not you can order it online no problem. I think it's about $9 or $10 for a small bad that is supposed to plant 1/2 acre. If you havn't already found it I'll find you a link when I have a chance later today. Should be easy to find!

· Jenny's Lackey
47,789 Posts
I'll check at walmart next time I'm in. I read something the other day that said ragweed was good for the quail. Don't remember where I read it. That's why I hadn't worried too much about having that stand in the middle of the corn & around the edges.

· Registered
3,898 Posts
Ragweed does produce tons of seed for quail and other ground foraging avians....but you have to weigh out the cost effectiveness of the fertilizer that you put in for your plot...ragweed can be grown very well with just discing and letting the field do it's own thing...kind of a thorn on the rose...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.