New Cuddebacks

Discussion in 'Trailcams & Accessories' started by Wings Fan 19, Aug 10, 2014.

1. fl3157

fl3157 Senior Member

Oct 12, 2010
    N.E. Missouri
    I've seen pictures from the new Cuddeback black flash, the night time images are not very good at all.

Guess I've been lucky with the cuddebacks? Been running several whiteflash models for a long time and been happy with the results, even though the flash scares all the deer away.:D:wave:
  2. trapperBR549

trapperBR549 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2007
    I'd rather bite the bullet and get low self discharge NiMH's and a good charger. I use them in everything, not just cameras. You can get cheap adapters to use 2 or 3 of them in place of C or D cells also. I have some that are 4 years old now and are still running strong. The charger I have analyzes the batteries so you know if you have any weak ones.
    Best bang for the buck I have found are these-->

This is the charger I like best-->

3. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I can 110% confirm the night pics on this camera, SUCK. :wave:
  4. hazelvillebucks

hazelvillebucks Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2014
    the cuddies bull points for black flash is listed at 50 foot, i believe that they may have to update the quality of the ir,s before the black flash version becomes what it can be
    the long range model[ red flash] is claimin flash range of 100 foot. it is a true micro duration flash . [1/4 second ] i am goin to try it to see if it is not a alternative black flash
    the 2015 brownings are hitin the shelves right now , in their first two years their red flash has exceeded the black flash, a claim to fame from the browning s is the ability to take video trail cam fast, when one is taken ,it is able willin and taken another video in less than 5 seconds . last year in picture mode the browning ,s were unable to refire again in 5 seconds or under.the new browning black flash has the video resolution beefed up to the sky.
    there were 4 company,s who were adjustin when the lights go out for ones viewin pleasure just like all cams do in the light of day. last year moultrie when back to the old way of one size fits all. this year they has a cam called the 990i generation two. the 2013 99oi is a great cam with the monkeys adjustin for ones pleasure from 1 foot to 70 feet . what they are putin out this year is generation two a.m. [ after the monkey], they have lost their way.the three companys with monkey cams are recoynx, browning and cuddieback. the rest are one size fits all with one sweet spot and a open door to the twin demons of motion blur and ir burn.
  5. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Trailcam Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2014
    Warren county
    Howdy Haze, long time no see. :)
  6. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    I'm REALLY impressed with what I've been reading and hearing about the covert cams. Frank....I know you didn't like the coverts but I think for my purposes that they would work really well.

I also like what I'm seeing on the Brownings.

I think I'm done with Moultrie at least for now. I've got 6 of their cameras....and my old D60's are better at this point than my newer D-55IR's. I know those are all cheaper priced cams but it disappointed me that the newer D55IR's haven't held up like the older D60's have.
  7. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Its hard to be excited about any nighttime pics out of any camera. The brownings I invested in are less than adequate and the coverts only a fuzz better.
    I dont buy them for frameable pics, they are a scouting device. As long as I can tell whats in the frame and the battery life is decent, mission accomplished.
    I was dissapointed at the video on the coverts though... but the battery life is still good.
  8. fl3157

fl3157 Senior Member

Oct 12, 2010
    N.E. Missouri
    I thought the Coverts were great. They have very good battery life and great daytime pictures.

I just haven't found a Blackflash or IR that take good enough night images to make me want to change from a Whiteflash. Just personal preference.:wave:
  9. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere

I've had better luck with the videos on the coverts I run. Unless they're on plot watcher, I only run video.
  10. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    I remember didn't like the nighttime pics because they weren't clear enough or something along those lines.

I'm leaning pretty hard toward the coverts but I'm going to look a bit harder at Browning before I buy. Looking to buy probably three new cams this year and I'll probably double up my old ones in hopes that at least one gets a pic when a deer shows up. L0l.

I'm also wanting to make sure I've got plot watcher on at least two of my new ones.
  11. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Agreed on the scouting tool part, but having night time pics of a "buck" versus knowing what buck it is, is a big difference IMO.
    I literally have 100's of pics of bucks at night less than 30' from my Cuddie.. and I can't tell if it's a forkie or a booner. Literally you can't tell any body characteristics really, let alone rack details if the deer is moving at all. There's a blur of a body and a blur of antler.
    My brownings are quite a bit better but most black flash cams leave something to be desired in regards to pic quality.
  12. radioactive

radioactive Active Hunter

Jan 25, 2012
    Which Brownings do you have? The two Dark Ops I have are quite acceptable at night unless the deer is moving pretty fast. I usually set mine on video though, so at some point in the 10 second vid, the deer will be still enough for a good look
    The two Range Ops red ir do not impress me and I wish I had not fell for the low price and got two more dark ops instead
  13. hesseu

hesseu Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    I have only run video on them, but I do like my Brownings.
  14. hazelvillebucks

Oct 28, 2014
    if you are going with a Cuddie or Browning black flash your best course would be to wait until the 2016 ,s re released.
  15. hazelvillebucks

Oct 28, 2014
    in 2013 they were made from the same source in china , in 2014 Moultrie went else where . it appears they took their sword and fell on it.
  16. Wibb

Wibb Senior Member

Nov 20, 2007
    I have two Cudde 20MP F series cameras. At first I hated them, I was getting a lot of blank or black pictures. I did a firmware upgrade and they are a different camera. I just put out my Black Flash model last week so I'll report back with some pictures, but my low glow camera is taking some great photos.

I do have one big complaint with them though and that is that they do not support a burst mode for photos. The best you can do is set a short reset time.

Attached Files:

17. Wibb

Wibb Senior Member

Nov 20, 2007
    I wanted to reply to this again. The F-series attack cameras do support burst mode (and several other options). As it turns out, the setup is a bit cumbersome, but once you figure it out, they work great. I am now using these for security on my gate and the pickup range is phenomenal. They will detect daytime motion at 100+ feet. Night motion is a bit more limited, but still work well. Be sure to UPDATE the firmware as soon as you get one.
    Maddog3355 likes this.
  18. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    Thanks for the update.