Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got off the phone with the gunsmith for howa. they ordered a new barrel for my 22-250 which got sent back. i posted about the ring it was leaving on the shoulder of the cases while at the p-dog field. i did not get an answer about what was wrong as the smith that worked on my rifle wasn't in today but was told that the problem and fix will be on the paperwork sent back with the rifle. only down part is going through the break in period again which i quite a pain in the :***:.

·
Registered
13,804 Posts
J-Bs can cut the throat right out of a rifle, so use it cautiously and sparingly.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Originally posted by glennasher1
J-Bs can cut the throat right out of a rifle, so use it cautiously and sparingly.
Glen, i have followed the "JB" trick for some time now and this is the first i have heard anyone to excersize that much caution. i have heard more caution being aplied to the "Flitz" than the jb. now the "Tubbs Polishing Bullets" is a whole nother matter.

·
Registered
13,804 Posts
I've got a friend in New Zealand who swears on a stack of bibles that he ruined the throat of a rifle with JBs. It WASN'T an American barrel, but that shouldn't make any difference, they make good stuff down under and over, too. I have used JBs for quite awhile, myself, with no problems, but since Bryce is so adamant, I thought I'd better pass it on.
There might be an even easier way to get the barrel broken in, using "Lock-Ease" on a patch down the bore. Some Benchrest shooters I know SWEAR it lessens copper fouling and wear, if you run a patch or two of that stuff down the bore. Again, just passing on the news.
If the copper is already there, from PD shooting or whatever, I just tried some REALLY good copper remover, Montana Extreme's .50 BMG copper remover. That stuff is strong, and works quickly, much faster than Shooter's Choice Copper Remover, for example (but maybe not as quick as Sweet's 7.62). With either of those products, DON'T LEAVE IT IN THE BORE MORE THAN TEN MINUTES. You can ruin a barrel with Sweets, I've done it:eek: Read the instructions carefully with those solvents, they are potent medicine on copper, noses, and lungs. TEN MINUTES, TOPS, WITH THOSE SOLVENTS, or you'll need a new tube, it'll etch the heck out of the barrels.

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i am a creature of habit so reluctantly i will do it the old fashioned way. has worked for years and i am so good that if there is a way to screw something up doing it another way i would.:banghead: oh well more time at the range.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.