New 870 Wingmaster quality?

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by Curtis, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Mar 1, 2005
    St. Peters, MO
    I have always shot 870's since age 15 and have been wanting a nicely finished shotgun. I would assume stick to what I know and go with a Wingmaster despite high end pumps falling out of favor the last decade. I have assembled enough Cabelas gift cards which would essentially make this gun free.

With the Express quality going down the last 5-10 years and Remington's financial problems, has anyone bought a new Wingmaster recently? Any comments to their quality and function? I have handled a new one recently and they seem well finished. They are probably not worth what they are asking, but as I said it's the model I like and picking one up seems second nature.

I am not seeking a used one. I have my heart set on a new model and do understand there are plenty of Wingmasters on the used market at good prices.

Any comments on the new Wingmasters would be appreciated

Thanks

2. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Follow your heart and don't listen to us know it alls.:cool:

Skduckhunt likes this.

3. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    I looked at a new one this morning. The only thing I didn't like, was the plastic trigger guards all the newer 870s have. The trigger group module has been plastic for quite awhile now. That was the only disappointing thing I noticed. I like a good Wingmaster, too. They beat out an Express all hollow. The OLD Express guns were okay, before they went plastic, but the newer ones don't thrill me at all. I have a brand new unfired Express Turkey gun in the closet right now, and just haven't had the gumption to get it out and use it. A chunk of the laminated stock fell off when I pulled it out of the box, and I've been so mad about that, that I just put it away. It wouldn't effect anything, but it made me mad.

WBF likes this.
  4. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    After seeing the Wingmaster my buddy bought for his grandson a few weeks ago, I’m not too impressed. My last 870 WM was bought in 1979. Sold it to a close friend of mine and get to see it occasionally at family shooting days. Every time I see that gun I just shake my head at how the quality went down hill. The gloss walnut stock and the bluing is superb on the gun that is nearly 40 years old now.

I’m not sure which manufacturer I’d even buy now days after knowing what they used to be like.

5. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Mar 1, 2005
    St. Peters, MO
    This was a Wingmaster you looked at and it had a plastic trigger guard?

The one I looked at had what appeared to be an alloy metal guard. Certainly not like the steel ones in the past but way better than plastic. It is possible I suppose they went to a plastic one this year.

6. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    The CZ guns look to have the same quality as the older Remingtons. Good wood and good bluing.

7. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    Probably a ton of older Remingtons at the Tulsa gun show this weekend.

8. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    Can't help, my newest Wingmaster is a 1958 vintage. She's a beauty!

9. Danimal

Danimal Active Member

Nov 17, 2015
    $750 for a Remington Pump?! Not in this lifetime.

10. jehrbo

jehrbo Full Fledged Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Oh Fallon
    A little rough on the spit and polish, but they still work great and put holes in what you point them at. Even an express my buddy bought works just fine.

11. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Mar 1, 2005
    St. Peters, MO
    Buds is 100 dollars cheaper, which I concede is still too much. Given the choice of paying cash at buds or blowing an extra hundred in gift cards and still get it free at cabelas, I have to bite my lip and go with free

12. Krankie

Krankie Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Henrietta
    It has been my observation that any product coming from the Remington family of companies has lower quality standards than prior to the buyout. This is probably to be expected.As stated before they are all still functionally good, but the detail work is lacking.I got a new Marlin lever in the shop and was embarrassed for them by the quality of their metal polishing or lack there of. The silver lining in all this is that the older models will continue to increase in value.

13. Last year I bought a used 1990 Browning BPS Medallion on Gunbroker. I have $400 in it after shipping and the CFL were paid. It may have been shot a few times but I can not tell. The wood and metal are great. You might be able to find a deal like this too. Sometimes folks buy a nice gun to look at and do not use it and it will eventually get sold as used. Not new, but nearly so.

14. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I take my time in finding specific used guns I am wanting and tend to shop small town gun shows. Sometimes you find a gem for the right price.

15. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    If you really want a wingmaster, I'd buy a used 1970's or earlier gun.

You can find them at very reasonable prices still. $300 are even less sometimes.

16. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Mar 1, 2005
    St. Peters, MO
    Thanks all. I'm going to be exchanging my credit card rewards for cabelas gift cards and will go from there once received. I still think I'm leaning towards towards a new one just to have a new one but may look at their used wingmasters for a pristine one.